juco

Post office going on strike for 5 days
Crown post offices are apparently going on strike from the 19th for 5 days.
So get you posting done before then.

About time to as the post office treat their staff like s...! Profit driven and no moral standards.

juco

Is this in the UK, Juco?

Yes.
Post Office staff in pre-Christmas strike - BBC News

To clarify, The post office is a different company to Royal mail so collections from mail boxes should be ok. It is the Crown offices that are on strike so sub post offices should be open including those that are franchised to the like of WH Smith etc.
Crown is normally the main PO in the town. Sub Post offices are not owned by the Post Office.

Last edited:

juco

Yes, it's a business, it's in business to make a profit.
Except it hasn't made one in years and that's with many £m of tax payers money yet the CEO still takes £750000 in salary.

They have clowns running the show, they turn down millions of pounds of business to safeguard their egos.

Added:
The Post Office has defended its chief executive’s £600,000 salary after the union Unite accused it of being over-generous to bosses and “sneaking out” its annual accounts.

Post Office executives and managers are being paid £15.4million in bonuses – as many sub-postmasters see their incomes slashed and nothing has changed.

In 2013....
Post Office executives and managers are being paid £15.4million in bonuses – as many sub-postmasters see their incomes slashed. And nothing has changed!

Brian Scott, of the union, said that Paula Vennells’s salary and the £500,000 awarded to the finance director, Al Cameron, was “another example of fat cats being rewarded for a catalogue of failure. The whole parlous state of the organisation needs to be urgently investigated by the new business secretary, Greg Clark.”

I suspect what is happening is they are deliberately not making profit and using tax payers money to make massive redundancies, then when tax payers money stops they will privatise it, sell off cheap as not making a profit, and the current gang will then start to make a profit and rake in even more money in bonuses.

Last edited:

Hilsjw

A second class stamp is now 55p which is 11 bob in old money! When I first started work in the 1960's a 2nd class stamp was 2d. Cleaver how they have the stamps printed with either lst or 2nd class on them. This is to fool the public about the actual price, and it does !!

Maisie

The cost usually goes up in April each year. But any stamps that have 2nd or 1st class printed on them can still be used after any such increase.

When I was at work, most of our mail went out second class. So in February or March each year, my boss used to buy about ten dozen stamps. I remember one year when the rise was quite substantial, he calculated and bought enough second class stamps to last almost for a year!

I have to say, that with email, I post very few items now. I bought three books of stamps (large variety) about five years ago. I still have just over fifty of these left.

Will have to see next year how much the increase is and will replenish my "stock".

Maisie

juco

The post office own virtually nothing of the products they sell, I am not saying that is good or bad but it puts them in a vulnerable position.

Financial products are the Bank of Ireland, border checking and passports are government and postage stamps are owned by royal mail. Phone and broadband are talk talk.

The only thing they own are Postal orders (does anyone still use them?)

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Queues at our local PO were down the street this morning, two counters open, pension day, took half an hour to post a couple of cards which couldn`t be done via the internet. Won`t bother next year.

Hilsjw

Thanks for that Kanga. Will remember that when I next buy lots i.e. for Christmas cards. Too late this year.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom