Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
Possible idea - property exchange in turkey
With the property market being so dormant at the moment has anyone ever considered a like for like swap to another area of Turkey. We fancy spending some time in or around the Bodrum Area and we have a nice villa we would swap for an apartment, obviously both parties would have all the proper paperwork.

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
hmmm obviously not such a good idea as no forthcoming comments!!

nanamo

Hi Lillylilly, I think it could be a good idea but I also think people are a bit suspicious because on the face of it it sounds too good to be true - a villa for an apartment. I am not in a position to bargain at the moment because believe me you would not swap a dog kennel for what we have currently but I hope you do get some serious interest because it could work. Molly

Amy

Hi LillyLilly,
A property exchange can be made, the properties would have to be valued by a building constructor to make this process complete. This can work in 2 ways... if the two properties (apt-apt, apt-villa) are worth the same price, or unless you find someone who you do trust who would swap there apartment for a villa and pay the difference to the new owner, there are many important papers to be filled in when doing this so you would definately need a Lawyer.

Amy

Last edited:

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Its probably not a good time to suggest it thats all. Personally I wouldn't fancy going through all the paperwork again.

Peregrine

With the property market being so dormant at the moment has anyone ever considered a like for like swap to another area of Turkey. We fancy spending some time in or around the Bodrum Area and we have a nice villa we would swap for an apartment, obviously both parties would have all the proper paperwork.

are you suggesting a permanent swap or just for a holiday?

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
Permanent exchange but not a permanent move! We would spend time in each place. We like Bodrum because it’s got loads of shops (Kim not me) lots of different nationalities mixing together; it is obviously a lot more established with nice places to eat and drink and of course nigh time entertainment. We also like it here in Altinkum because its not so busy, not so many people (certainly not a lot of non-Brits) (other than the local populations of course)) the local people are on the whole very genuine (not suggesting they are not in Bodrum) it has a far nicer beach-front than Bodrum (except for the castle) and of course we have our own Marina now.

We have two properties here and only use our apartment. So rather than let the Villa sit there empty (don’t want to rent it, more problems than its worth) so we thought why not do a swop! No hidden agenda (there are no resident demons in our villa, the neighbours are lovely, and it’s a really nice property), we just prefer to live near the resort front here in lovely Altinkum.

Properties are difficult to sell at the moment not because they are no good but because of the credit crisis not everyone can now afford a place in the Sun, and of course glut of properties on the market (see today’s Zaman) and some peoples fears of a dramatic crash in property prices (fed by rumour, probably instigated by some unscrupulous people looking to make a killing at other peoples expense) perhaps just a glitch, lets hope so, only time will tell))

The swop would be like for like, or of similar value! Don't know about the paperwork side of it, I thought it would be more or less straightforward (but then again this is Turkey) it probably would involve a new Military Search. Surely a contract to exchange all title with declaration of no debt etc, with an independent valuation (from the Beledyre) would suffice? Otherwise, perhaps a purchase with a nominal fee; don’t know! I suppose the tax man would be suspicious!

Anyone actually been through this process? As you can see not really thought it through, and we were just testing the water as it were. There are lots of brainy people on here who may have some ideas of how to go about it.

If we manage to pull this off, I will donate some money to help the poor beleaguered Members of parliament with their expenses…not!

pebble

Lilly, I wasnt sure exactly what you meant either, holiday or permanent.
Now isnot the best time to be selling your place as the market is really down.
Holiday swapping sounds good though......
good luck, hope it works well.

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
I dont think you read the post properly. Its with a view to a permanent swap, we realise its not a good idea to sell hence this idea!!!!!

Hi Lillylilly,
I have looked into the property swap idea and it's a good one.
The problem is who can you trust and how much are you willing to spend in fees?
You will have to pay some sort of fee no matter who you go through unless it's family or friend.
I visited internationalpropertyswap.com and for a yearly fee of 19.99GBP you post an add with photos. It's worth a look to get an idea of how it all works.
Could a local realestate agent post your property as a swap and take care of the legal end of it for a minimal fee?
Good luck

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
We was hoping it would be an English person Turkish property to Turkish property, without an Agent and with our own trustworthy solicitors by recommendations. We can but try.

pebble

Good luck Lilly, but be careful. In these times, you just cant be too careful.
It is a good idea,the legalities might be a challenge, but well worth a try.
I dont think we mean to rain on your parade, just be careful.

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
Thank you Sue if your place was in the Bodrum area we would have already! But as its only down the road I think we will pass on that but just come to you for a visit and nick all Eric's Chedder and Pickles.

Good luck Lilly, but be careful. In these times, you just cant be too careful.
It is a good idea,the legalities might be a challenge, but well worth a try.
I dont think we mean to rain on your parade, just be careful.
I reiterate Pebble's comments. Please, please, please be careful. You only have to read the horror stories on other threads from people who believe they've used reputable lawyers etc to buy properties, so make sure the legals cover swaps and all parties are 1,000% sure of what they are doing is 10,000% legal and watertight. Its a great idea but could be a minefield. I am not saying "Don't do it" just make sure a dream idea doesnt turn into a nightmare reality. All the best though.

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
Thanks for your warnings. We have lived here for three years and do realise what might lie ahead and know we have to check make sure and be aware all along the prodedures and legalities with regards to Solicitors etc. Still waiting for any interested parties to pop up though had one or two enquiries.

Hi Lilly.
I looked into the possibility of a property swap also and did a bit of research.
There's a website: internationalpropertyswap.com and for a yearly fee of 19.99 GDB you get to post an ad with photos. What's nice about this is that you get a lot more prospects than posting only localy. The company takes care of all the legal bits.
Might give the website a look.
Good luck
Grace

Latest Posts

Top Bottom