Mushroom

Top Poster Of Month
Positive Discrimination funded by the licence payer.
And they are wondering why they are losing audiences and funding?

Camden

Positive discrimination is the process of increasing the number of employees from minority groups in a company or business, which are known to have been discriminated against in the past. In the UK, positive discrimination is illegal under the Equality Act 2010 as it does not give equal treatment to all.

Positive action could also include an employer taking measures to address any imbalance within the company that an employee with a protected characteristic could face.

It is designed to encourage and enable members of these groups to overcome disadvantages and avoid discrimination.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
How can discrimination be designed to avoid discrimination?

Mushroom

Top Poster Of Month
In the Woke world of the BBC anything can happen. "Ethnically Diverse" How is that actually defined? I am of the belief that as Angles mixed with Saxons to become Anglo Saxons, add the Vikings and Celts to the mix, we are somewhere in the big scheme of things "Ethnically Diverse".
The BBC use the excuse of - wanting to have a representative mix of employed which is broadly in line with the diversity of the UK population. In the UK, we have 12% BAME but 20% are employed at the BBC already.
If we don't start applying Meritocracy, we are stuffed.

Camden

positive discrimination is illegal under the Equality Act 2010 as it does not give equal treatment to all.

Positive action, on the other hand, became legal in April 2011 to ensure measures are taken to support the recruitment and promotion of underrepresented minorities.

Positive action could also include an employer taking measures to address any imbalance within the company that an employee with a protected characteristic could face. It is designed to encourage and enable members of these groups to overcome disadvantages and avoid discrimination.

Positive discrimination and positive action are not the same thing. Employment lawyer, Philip Sayers, explains why it is important for employers to understand the difference between the two.

When I employed people, I was only interested in if the person could do the job.
Hand on heart now though, this day & age, anyone bringing their political & religious beliefs onto any jobs of mine, would've been paid off at the end of the day.

Camden

Mush is the ad even true ? on twitter they are saying its fake .... others are saying its years old .. a bit of rehash clickbait .....

Last edited:

Chasey

How can discrimination be designed to avoid discrimination?
Easy

If you have a men only management teem then you can take "positive action" to force integration of women or say ethnicity into the mix

Having done that your teem is better set up to deal with an ethnically diverse and mixed sex staff.

But taken to its logical conclusion you would need a management teem of every sexual orientation, religious background and ethnicity :D

This is why i put my religion down as Jedi so I stand the best chance of being given a board of directors job in some multinational :)

Mushroom

Top Poster Of Month
Mush is the ad even true ? on twitter they are saying its fake .... others are saying its years old .. a bit of rehash clickbait .....

I was sent it by a friend in good faith and received it likewise. If it is fake it should be removed. If it's a bit old but factually correct, that is worrying as I was of the opinion that the BBC has gone down the wrong road but only in the last couple of years to my knowledge.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
I was sent it by a friend in good faith and received it likewise. If it is fake it should be removed. If it's a bit old but factually correct, that is worrying as I was of the opinion that the BBC has gone down the wrong road but only in the last couple of years to my knowledge.
It was doing the rounds pre brexit vote, it was posted on here to get the gammons glowing and fists waving no doubt, according to the 2011 equality act (blame Corbyn and Abbott as they were in power at the time), it is legit to offer training opportunities in a discriminatory manner, that was the view of a number of lawyers at the time, there were others questioning it though. Also I don't think it was the BBC who advertised the roles rather an outside recruitment agency. Whilst I don't have an opinion on the matter as such whenever I have been involved in recruitment I went with the ones I felt best suited to the job in hand.

Mushroom

Top Poster Of Month
I am sure that by now, if that ad had been researched and found to be false, someone would have been highlighting that fact.
I would be requesting the thread be removed.
That hasn't happened and makes matters worse in my eyes.
I do remember that my daughter enquired online with the BBC about 2 years ago for a journo job and by the time she had read the requirements and exclusions, she declared that she was the wrong colour and wasn't gay, so had no chance.
A similar enquiry with Channel 4 revealed that they were not only going along a similar route but because they wanted to recruit from 'disadvantaged' backgrounds, they required questions to be answered about the applicant's household background, parent's income and assets, all of which was none of their business.
I suggested that in Monty Python style, she should have sent them a photo of a shoebox in the middle of the road and said that was our home !
I have never yet heard of what exactly is classed as 'disadvantaged'. Do you have to live on multiple benefits, never work and never own anything?
The one's I have witnessed always have a brand new phone on a £35 per month contract, brand new trainers, and pizzas delivered 6 nights out of 7, the 7th being a take-away curry.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom