ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Portsmouth Reach Crisis Point
This is hard to believe that a team in England's top tier is in this situation.

'The Portsmouth players called in their trade union yesterday to demand assurances from the club that their unpaid wages would be paid by the end of the week. The Professional Footballers' Association was told that its members would get their money by today although there were no promises as to the long-term future.'

Here

C

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Its a great shame. Pompey are really well supported for a smaller club. The place has a great atmosphere, and its a difficult place for other teams to get a result at. Be a real pity if the problem isnt resolved.

parrot

It's a pity the other teams don't follow suit and refuse to pay these overpaid prima donnas.They'll be out of the premiership shortly and another team will replace them.No pity here I'm more concerned about joe public losing their jobs right left and centre and not having had £30000 a week to cushion the blow.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Mostly 'joe public' hasn't got a talent that thousands of people want to pay to see though.....

C

stevecarol

Blame that T###er Redknapp for all of pompeys problems, Good old Arry he knew when to get out.

Smiler

I think the blame lies with Peter Storrie for sanctioning Harry's deals.

Harry is a football manager/coach, Storrie is supposed to be the business brain behind them.

I feel sorry for the supporters though any sympathy I had for the club went after the discraceful way Paul Hart was treated. The players won't starve, it will be the people behind the scenes who will suffer.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
This is an absolutely woeful situation and will hopefully and rightly disgrace England's Premier league across the world.

'Administrators will today move into debt-ridden Portsmouth Football Club after the Premier League side failed to find a buyer willing to invest'

Here

C

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
not great news but i dont beleive this is down to the premier league, this is down to poor business management and lying investors

martin

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
They should;

1 Have strict rules to try to ensure this can't happen in the first place;

2 Have contingencies in place to support a club if it does.

They've just cut them loose and they'll do the same to Utd, Liverpool or whoever.

C

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
they are private companies, why should the premier league intervene, they are paying the price of bad business decisions

martin

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Private companies or not, they should have rules set for them by the EPL as the governing body, if they want to be part of it.

Your club's in a precarious position too and it's disgraceful that it was allowed to happen.

C

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
I disagree they should have no control over the running of the business thats for the clubs, we already live in a nanny state, do you seriously think that big investors would seriously consider putting money into clubs if such regulation existed, and more to the point how many would pull out if such regulation was brought in, where would that leave man city, they would be unable to fund their debts from just gate receipts they havent got the fan base to do that.

As for my club, while it has huge business debt it is still a profitable entity thats not to say we as fans wouldnt prefer to be bought up again on the stock market, it is a disgrace the way the Glaizers finance the club, but sadly that is business

martin

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
I'm not advocating that EPL run the clubs or their business, but there must be stringent checks on the purchase deals before clubs can be bought willy nilly.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree though, because I know what you're saying, and normally it makes perfect sense, but I feel these clubs are integral parts of communities and have to be protected.

C

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Anyway I am off to tour Old Trafford and the museum with our friend Ahmet who arrived last night,
We will take in the splendour of the stadium and have a couple of hours in the museum and if I see the Glaisers I will kick them on the shins

martin

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Anyway I am off to tour Old Trafford and the museum with our friend Ahmet who arrived last night,
We will take in the splendour of the stadium and have a couple of hours in the museum and if I see the Glaisers I will kick them on the shins

martin

Why stop at the shins? :loony:

C

Martyn

martin

I have to say I took my youngest to the stadium and museum about 10 years ago and it was excellent.:rolleyes:

Akasya

Postless Pointer
I feel sorry for those clubs, some in fear of relegation who were priced out of buying players by a club ( Pompey ) who had no chance of paying either the full transfer fees or the players themselves. The clubs should mandate that all transactions are paid for in full or otherwise indemnified with a readily convertable asset.

Solve several problems in one stroke.

Steve.

Chinook

Have contingencies in place to support a club if it does

They do! the Football governing bodies hold back payments and use it to pay the players and staff. I do not know any other business where staff can become preferential creditors in this way. Oh and when Portsmouth are relegated they will get a £11 million parachute payment but I'll bet none of it will go towards paying off the £11.5 million debt they owe to HMRC.

And its not just Portsmouth there are a number of lower league clubs who are in administration - only this week Bournemouth had a winding up order against them and Chester were thrown out of the Conference. I suspect that many of these small town clubs are much more deserving of sympathy than Portsmouth

Latest Posts

Top Bottom