immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Porridge in Fethiye
The cost of oats here is very high - 3.75tl for 500G in Migros. I think they are around 50 pence for 2 kilo in UK. I have searched everywhere for a cheaper source, without success. I even considered bulk buying by the sack, but can't find them. At one time in Migros they were even packaged like luxury food items in a special tin box at double the price!
If anyone has a source, let me know.
Ian

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Porridge in Fethiye
Re: Porridge.

Ian,

Have you tried Tugcem Gida for oats in Fethiye ?

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Porridge in Fethiye
It occurs to me that oats as horse feed should be the same as that sold to humans: rolled oats are a standard horse food. Is there a feed supplier that might do rolled oats in Fethiye (or a web site for Turkey for price comparison)?

Ian

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Porridge in Fethiye
There are 3 feed suppliers that I know of in Fethiye. I used to get horse feed from the one on the Karaculha Road about 200 metres past the Tedas offices.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Porridge in Fethiye
Nay Nay Nay immac please dont poision yourself !!! in uk horse oats are tested , But in Turkey ??? Nay i will bring you some ! i have no other luggage , Do you want Quaker or would any type do ?

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Porridge in Fethiye
What would the poison be? What is it tested for in UK?

I need a steady supply, but thanks for the offer; I refuse to pay the exorbitant cost in the supermarket on something which, after all is said and done, is animal feed.

As long as there are no additives it should be OK.

Ian

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Porridge in Fethiye
It's not a case of additives mate, it's the moulds that can grow in or on the grain.

But, if you're using the oats to make porridge the heat should see off any nasties.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Porridge in Fethiye
It's not a case of additives mate, it's the moulds that can grow in or on the grain.
But, if you're using the oats to make porridge the heat should see off any nasties.

Thanks, was not aware of this problem. However, after some research into mycotoxins it seems it might not be a hopeless option to chase.
It seems that as well as cereals such as oats, the sources of mycotoxins in Turkey include dried apricots and figs, cheese (esp village cheeses), yughurt, nuts and milk.
Heat (such as cooking) does not destroy mycotoxins but drying will reduce the growth.
They are present in many commercially available cereals available in UK shops and there are 'acceptable' levels that will not harm healthy humans - but high infestation in animal feed can kill a horse!

Ian

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Porridge in Fethiye
A better option pursued this morning was to contact the local mill. They do catering packs of rolled oats - 15KG for 60tl (4tl Kilo). This is about half the price of the Migros packs, which are half kilo for 3.75tl. Still expensive, but better.

Ian

teresa

Free Thinker
Porridge in Fethiye
Lifalif is on offer in Tansas at the moment 2.70 for 500g. I stocked up for the winter yesterday

Bubskar

Porridge in Fethiye
Thanks, was not aware of this problem. However, after some research into mycotoxins it seems it might not be a hopeless option to chase.
It seems that as well as cereals such as oats, the sources of mycotoxins in Turkey include dried apricots and figs, cheese (esp village cheeses), yughurt, nuts and milk.
Heat (such as cooking) does not destroy mycotoxins but drying will reduce the growth.
They are present in many commercially available cereals available in UK shops and there are 'acceptable' levels that will not harm healthy humans - but high infestation in animal feed can kill a horse!

Ian

I only eat Lililaf in the winter so not an expert on cost etc., however this incite into mycotoxins has put me right off all the foods that contain it. This above list is half of my dailty diet!!!!

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Porridge in Fethiye
Bubskar, I wouldn't get to worked up about oats of catering quality. They seem as good as anything in UK, but significantly more expensive.
I'm now half way through my catering pack and the quality of those is very good - like the jumbo oats you get in UK.
Ian

Latest Posts

Top Bottom