Martyn

Poor stories
Following on from another thread about how poor you were as a kid I thought I would start a new thread. Only poor stories allowed, no rich buggers in here ;)

Just going to sort the shed out and I will be back with some input. Leave you with this. Who remembers when the electric used to go off and in those days we had a pay as you go meter. Everyone used to bump into to each trying to find something to go in. When they used to empty it you would get a refund of all the washers, lino, foreign coins etc ready to use for next time :)

Last edited:

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Poor stories
When i was a kid i was always falling on my knees and holing my trousers.. my mother made me wear shorts till i was 11.. when ever i complained coz other boys were taking the mickey she'd tell me " well its either shorts or ya sisters old frocks."!

carolk

R.I.P
Poor stories
Yes, I used to have to put card in my shoes when I had a hole in them!! Also we once had a telly that was on a meter! Something was always going off!!

We also had a a tick shop for groceries and paid it every Friday - providing me dad came home!!

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Poor stories
My younger brother and i wore out our shoes so quickly my Dad made us wear clogs..! they were the only pair of shoes we had til i started secondary school...!! :)

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Poor stories
I used to love when the meter man came , i used to think my mum was dead rich. When the meter went out my dad would shout, "put the light on then you will see what you are doing" fell for it every time.:wacko:

Jeannie

Bill & Linda

Senior Members
Poor stories
WE lived in a rough area of London there was not a lot of money about, friday night was bath night!! the tin bath came down from the wall the copper was lit, and a good time was had by all!!there was three kids to bath the water was black. You also did your best not to go to the toilet during the night (outside loo) so it was the guzunder!! the times my teddy fell in that pisspot.:33: I talk to my grandson about these things (he is sixteen) he looks at me as though i am ninety. This was in the late 50s.

carolk

R.I.P
Poor stories
Oh, out side toilets. How many of you had toilet paper and who had newspaper and black marks all over yer bum?

Martyn

Poor stories
Nice one Bill. Remember the tin bath as well. What about the stone hot water bottle you used to kick out the bed at night. It weighed about 2 st and hit the bare floorboards with a loud thud. Chillblains, dont talk to me about chillblains ;)

beastofbodrum

BEASTOFBODRUM
Poor stories
Hiya Martyn.
You've opened a can of worms here my old son.
I remember the old days with the fondest of memories. My mum and dad were so poor that all of my clothes came from the local 'War on Want' shop.
For fifteen years of my life I went to school dressed as a Japanese General!

The other thing I remember well was the very little room larger families had in their houses. There were six of us and at one point and we all shared the same bed!! Being the youngest, mum often asked me which end of the bed I wanted to sleep, and it used to upset my Dad terribly when I said," The shallow end"!!

Last edited:

carolk

R.I.P
Poor stories
Hiya Martin.
You've opened a can of worms here my old son.
I remember the old days with the fondest of memories. My mum and dad were so poor that all of my clothes came from the local 'War on Want' shop.
For fifteen years of my life I went to school dressed as a Japanese General!

Now thats funny!!

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Poor stories
My younger brother and i wore out our shoes so quickly my Dad made us wear clogs..! they were the only pair of shoes we had til i started secondary school...!! :)

alan ! they were the height of fashion in about 74/5 they were so cool

martin

Martyn

Poor stories
Yes, WVS used to clothe us. Who remembers the Provi Man? We had a lot of kids down our street who looked like him.

I told my children when they used to take food into school for Christmas packs for the under privileged families it was us.

carolk

R.I.P
Poor stories
I remember my Aunt used to cut and perm my hair every easter and I used to cry. I had an Afro before anyone else!!

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Poor stories
alan ! they were the height of fashion in about 74/5 they were so cool

martin
Not when i was the only kid in class wearing them... i got the mickey taken something chronic.. short trousers and clogs at the age of ten in 1970.
Sunday night was bath night... 3 kids in the same bath to save on water and a paraffin heater to warm the bathroom that my dad would borrow from the neighbors, no central heating..
The coal man only came once a month,.. i used to go play in the train shunting yards at the steel works looking for coal.

Alan.

Martyn

Poor stories
That's a given, a coal fire was the only heating. Poker on it with a broadsheet paper across to draw the flames. I remember my younger brother throwing some paraffin on it and the blow back on it blew off the front of his hair and eye brows :biggrin:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom