Poor Electricity Supply
Hi,

Had a quick look at previous threads but couldn't find anything relevant.

When we put on our air-con, or anything else that requires a decent amount of power, the lights go very dim and everything slows down. When I have the oven on and the aircon unit the hi-fi and tv have even switched off.

Obviosly we need more power coming into the property but how do we do this and how costly is it?

We were thinking of adding another air-con unit but the system wouln't be able to take two units switched on at the same time.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ann

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Poor Electricity Supply
We used to have problems with the electricity, when we had the aircon installed as soon as we put it on the fuse was blown, so they put in a larger fuse and everything is fine now.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Poor Electricity Supply
It might be worth getting Tedas / Aydem up to have a look at the supply coming into the property.

We had problems in the early days. They eventually came up with a cherry-picker, and after fiddling about at the post outside our house, and numerous flashes and sparks etc, we've not had any localised problems with our supply.

gren

Poor Electricity Supply
It's to do with too weak a current supply to your house.
Are you on a sitesi?

Trying to draw too much current from the supply (by switching everything on) will cause Main safety fuses to blow (unless a higher fuse rating is used).
OR if theres no fuse (!) then the wiring will overheat and the supply transformer may burn out.
There may be a current limiting device on the output of the Main supply to limit each house's demand (the Main transformer may not be powerful enough to feed all the houses attached to it). Bad foresight in planning or an old Main transformer

Do other adjacent properties suffer the same when you do?

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Poor Electricity Supply
sounds like a case of voltage drop due to the supply not being adequate, are you on a sitesi or a private house

martin

Poor Electricity Supply
Hi There,

We're not on a sitesi-just a little house sitting on it's own. There are a few properties dotted about (mainly Turkish) I'm not sure if they have the same problems.

I think it may be worth talking to Aydem about this-we don't want the mains tripping out (it's happened before). We do want to run two air-con units (900/1200) at the same time whilst watching tv and still be able to see where we're going.

Maybe there just isn't enough leccy to go around the area-I'm not very up on electricity supply. I just thought you could put in another circuit or something.

Thanks for your replies.

Ann

Sara-666

Poor Electricity Supply
We have the same problem at our house, there just isn't enough electricity coming into the house for the amount we use. We would have to pay 12000tl for another tranformer to be put in between us and the nearest village to have more power. Have you tried using a regulator, this would send the electricity supply you do have to the areas in your house that need it, I think they start from about 2500tl.

Sara

gren

Poor Electricity Supply
I just thought you could put in another circuit or something. Ann

A circuit has to be run from a power supply.
Another circuit off the same weak supply is pointless!

We have the same problem at our house, there just isn't enough electricity coming into the house for the amount we use. We would have to pay 12000tl for another tranformer to be put in between us and the nearest village to have more power. Have you tried using a regulator, this would send the electricity supply you do have to the areas in your house that need it, I think they start from about 2500tl. Sara

Supply regulation make some sense and as Sara points out, Ann might need a larger voltage transformer to provide larger power requirements.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Poor Electricity Supply
if you only have a single phase supply, then you may benefit from another circuit as you put it ! it means converting to a 3 phase supply, probably not that difficult, but no guarantees that the other pases are not already overloaded already

martin

Poor Electricity Supply
hi all,

please be very carefull when you put a larger fuse/breaker in you have to make sure the existing cable thats installed is capable of carrying the extra current.if not then the cable could over heat and therefore create a fire

martin

biggles

biggles
Poor Electricity Supply
you couls employ a punka wallah with a fan as a last resort . our elec is spot on with 4 a/c units ,but ome tight sods on our complex dont have a/c at all . god knows how they stand that heat in august .

gren

Poor Electricity Supply
I don't have air-conditioning either....or mosquito nets...you're such a woos biggles..
:p

gra

belek member
Poor Electricity Supply
Hi

Almost sure voltage drop due to over demand is the cause.
Do not fit larger fuses
Your tv ect, shuts down as its low voltage level has been exceeded
contact Tadas and report problem
I am an english elec engineer, good luck

Gra

Poor Electricity Supply
Hi

Almost sure voltage drop due to over demand is the cause.
Do not fit larger fuses
Your tv ect, shuts down as its low voltage level has been exceeded
contact Tadas and report problem
I am an english elec engineer, good luck

Gra

Thanks for that. I'll have to take it up with Aydem-not holding out much hope though.
I think we'll just have to switch something off to turn something else on-I'll just have give up turning the cooker on!

Ann

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Poor Electricity Supply
We had problems with two places we have owned were they were not wired correctly. One had every plugin in the house going to one circut breaker....we were also getting our electricity free from out neighbour, neither of us knew it but we had it corrected.

We had to have better quality wiring and a new panel replaved in the second house.....could run everything including 4 A/C units after that.

Biker Bob

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Poor Electricity Supply
Punka = fan, wallah = boy. In India even a grown man doing certain menial jobs would be referred to as a wallah ( boy ). It denoted that it was a low caste male job.

Steve.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom