Mushroom

Poor Asylum seekers.
At the risk of repeating myself, If there were no incentives to come to the UK, we wouldn't be seeing anything like the numbers who attempt to come here.
That one falls to the politicians, whatever party.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Poor Asylum seekers.
Whilst being watched by French Police !!!! I am convinced they are allowing these boatloads to leave French shores deliberately.

The french have said that once the boats are in the water it is against maritime law to do anything unless the boat is in distress.

Got to wonder where the traffickers are getting this endless supply of boats and engines.
Maybe the french authorities need to investigate that angle.

Plus, it is strange that MSN outlets like Sky Ness seem to have no issue finding the people smugglers/traffickers to interview them.

Poor Asylum seekers.
At the risk of repeating myself, If there were no incentives to come to the UK, we wouldn't be seeing anything like the numbers who attempt to come here.
Apparently, asylum numbers have decreased overall but boat route arrivals have tripled ! Those who argue it is because it is the only option for those needing protection - well that simply is not true as they have already travelled through countries which can process asylum applications. As to critics of current UK policy re asylum not being able to be claimed until arrival in UK - well has this not always been the policy ( of most countries). I heard on the news this morning that France and UK, in an attempt to stop the irregular migration, are to discuss the option of asylum application processing in France lol.
Re those who are successful in their asylum applications re need for protection- then good luck to them. What bothers me more are the barriers to successful economic integration and the impact of that on the UK.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Poor Asylum seekers.
The french have said that once the boats are in the water it is against maritime law to do anything unless the boat is in distress.

Got to wonder where the traffickers are getting this endless supply of boats and engines.
Maybe the french authorities need to investigate that angle.

Plus, it is strange that MSN outlets like Sky Ness seem to have no issue finding the people smugglers/traffickers to interview them.
They are watching them putting the boat in the sea, and they can stop them over loading, healthy and safety

Jaycey

African Refugee
Poor Asylum seekers.
Surely the numbers aren't as great as in many other countries.
And by incentives do you mean humanitarian aid?
And, at the risk of repeating myself what would you do if you were in their shoes?

PS. They are more likely to speak English than any other European language making it easier for them to integrate.

SLEEPY

Poor Asylum seekers.
The not so subtle racism and lack of humanity for other humans by some members is absolutely disgusting.
I am fairly sure that there is a direct correlation between such abhorrent views and those that follow the scumbag Farage....
"There but for the grace of God go I "

Poor Asylum seekers.
And, at the risk of repeating myself what would you do if you were in their shoes?

PS. They are more likely to speak English than any other European language making it easier for them to integrate.
1.The numbers are small.
2.If protection was my essential immediate need then the nearest point of safety would be my priority.
3. If it is to reach family - then my priority would be to head where they are. But I wouldn't risk my life ( or my children's) getting into a dinghy.
4. If it is to enter the labour market then I would head to the UK.
5. If it is to get a better life - then anywhere where I could achieve that.
6. English speaking non EU migrants - I would bet that they tend to be the better educated. And there are many more variables which affect integration ( especially economic integration). From my own experience, the fact is that many people heading across the channel in these dinghies will invariably not get a warm welcome and indeed face a very uncomfortable life in the UK - assuming they are successful in their asylum application. This is the reality in most of Europe.

Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
Apparently, asylum numbers have decreased overall but boat route arrivals have tripled ! Those who argue it is because it is the only option for those needing protection - well that simply is not true as they have already travelled through countries which can process asylum applications. As to critics of current UK policy re asylum not being able to be claimed until arrival in UK - well has this not always been the policy ( of most countries). I heard on the news this morning that France and UK, in an attempt to stop the irregular migration, are to discuss the option of asylum application processing in France lol.
Re those who are successful in their asylum applications re need for protection- then good luck to them. What bothers me more are the barriers to successful economic integration and the impact of that on the UK.

But still according to current figures UK has negative migration with - more people leaving than arriving

I don't think anyone is arguing its the only option, yes, they can claim Asylum in the actual country they pass through but not Asylum for the UK ... Which the majority of Migrant ( people) do, as seen France, Germany , Italy even Greece accepted more Asylum Seekers than we do we are 7th in taking Asylum seekers .... The other ones that continue as is their Right in the Agreement we promised to uphold ... Do so for various reasons ( explained many times on posts ) that they may have family or as in many Asian communities ( memleketin yardim ) peer help etc ...what was being argued was the need for UK landfall before being allowed to claim Asylum ... as you can't claim on route for the UK till you set foot on uk soil

( as seen per link below ) There is no law that says asylum seekers must make their asylum claim in the first safe country they arrive in after leaving their country of origin. However, under an EU law called the Dublin III Regulation, asylum seekers could in theory be transferred to the first EU member state in which they arrived after leaving their origin country. Because of Brexit, the UK is no longer a part of the Dublin arrangements, and without new agreements with either the EU as a whole or with individual member states will probably have to consider the claim of every person who seeks asylum here.

( Camden comment ..which accounts for the several hundred that were regularly returned .. but post Brexit Priti Patel watch 5 people. )

( as seen per link below ) To claim asylum in the UK, a person must be in the UK. It is not possible to apply from outside the country, and there is no asylum visa. Therefore, to claim asylum in the UK a person must enter either irregularly, such as by small boat, lorry, or by using false documents, or for another purpose, such as tourism or study. . Others could arrive without a required visa, applicants will not be granted asylum if the government believes they represent a danger to the UK (Home Office, 2020a, p. 85).

Last edited:

Mushroom

Poor Asylum seekers.

I have to refer you to my earlier post.
Weed out the fraudsters asap. Send them back. No problem with genuine claimants, so provide tents in fields with cooking facilities, water, food and sanitation for genuine claimants - Humanitarian needs catered for.
No 4 star hotels. No £30 odd per week pocket money and work should be authorised in lieu of the facilities provided.
If they are genuine and come with a required trade or Profession, put them to work with a 'normal' wage.
If I were in their shoes, and genuine, I would be so grateful that I had reached a safe haven that I would not want to come to the UK.
Having relatives here or being able to speak English is not a plus point if they are bogus claimants.
Any criminal involvement leading to a prosecution makes any permission to live inthe UK null and void.
For those who want everyone and their dog to enter the UK apparently unchecked as to their status and importantly their potential as a danger to the state, they should be reminded that we have plenty of homeless here who do not get as good a deal as those we owe nothing to, but for those who want to pontificate, they should be urged to make their spare rooms/homes accessible to these new arrivals for free and set up something similar to crowd funding to pay for hotels and pocket money etc, leaving the taxpayer alone.

Last edited:
Poor Asylum seekers.
But still according to current figures UK has negative migration with - more people leaving than arriving

I don't think anyone is arguing its the only option, yes, they can claim Asylum in the actual country they pass through but not Asylum for the UK ... Which the majority of Migrant ( people) do, as seen France, Germany , Italy even Greece accepted more Asylum Seekers than we do we are 7th in taking Asylum seekers .... The other ones that continue as is their Right in the Agreement we promised to uphold ... Do so for various reasons ( explained many times on posts ) that they may have family or as in many Asian communities ( memleketin yardim ) peer help etc ...what was being argued was the need for UK landfall before being allowed to claim Asylum ... as you can't claim on route for the UK till you set foot on uk soil

( as seen per link below ) There is no law that says asylum seekers must make their asylum claim in the first safe country they arrive in after leaving their country of origin. However, under an EU law called the Dublin III Regulation, asylum seekers could in theory be transferred to the first EU member state in which they arrived after leaving their origin country. Because of Brexit, the UK is no longer a part of the Dublin arrangements, and without new agreements with either the EU as a whole or with individual member states will probably have to consider the claim of every person who seeks asylum here.

( Camden comment ..which accounts for the several hundred that were regularly returned .. but post Brexit Priti Patel watch 5 people. )

( as seen per link below ) To claim asylum in the UK, a person must be in the UK. It is not possible to apply from outside the country, and there is no asylum visa. Therefore, to claim asylum in the UK a person must enter either irregularly, such as by small boat, lorry, or by using false documents, or for another purpose, such as tourism or study. . Others could arrive without a required visa, applicants will not be granted asylum if the government believes they represent a danger to the UK (Home Office, 2020a, p. 85).

We know all of that - but to get back to the question of options other than claiming asylum in UK ? Other than the UK - where? France?

Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
Some seem to think the Asylum seekers choose to be housed in 4 star Hotel's ..When taxpayer money is actually given by the Government in contracts that enrich dodgy companies like Serco who were sponsors at the Tory Party Conference . Or that these Asylum seekers don't want to work ... this is Priti Patel policy that prevents most from working ... IMHO most would jump at the chance at work with a normal wage ...than the boredom of many months ,years in limbo.

Last edited:

Mushroom

Poor Asylum seekers.
I would like to be housed in a 4 star hotel for nothing and get 3 meals a day.
I would like to be given money and do nothing in return.
I would like to have access to the NHS and Social Services without ever contributing a penny towards it.
I can't blame them in the slightest for their attitude.
I can however blame successive governments for allowing this to happen and return to my attitude which says that when we have sorted out our own UK dependants, then we should look at those who have come from abroad.
Until that time, they can make do with basic humanitarian aids or of course leave.
My bet is that they wouldn't come here in the first place if it was so basic with no pocket money or access to services the UK taxpayer has funded.
Then, no-one could be ripped off by the smuggler groups, no-one would try to cross the channel and no-one would drown.

Poor Asylum seekers.
Some seem to think the Asylum seekers choose to be housed in 4 star Hotel's ..When taxpayer money is actually given by the Government in contracts that enrich dodgy companies like Serco who were sponsors at the Tory Party Conference . Or that these Asylum seekers don't want to work ... this is Priti Patel policy that prevents most from working ... IMHO most would jump at the chance at work with a normal wage ...than the boredom of many months ,years in limbo.
Options other than processing in UK 😊?

Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
Options other than processing in UK 😊?

They could issue what is called a Humanitarian Visa's as discussed in brainstorming policy meeting with members and Ngo's at the Labour Party Conference ... so it would mean Asylum seekers could travel to the UK by normal legal means and still apply at border as the law insists. .

This would deny trafficker's routes and their blood and misery money ...

Then fix what is a broken Home Office of Priti Patel, which as we have seen today can't even Administer or deal with the mistake of past Tory Govts in their “Hostile Environment” policy Windrush ...

So Asylum seekers aren't kept in limbo what can be up to years .. and at cost to the taxpayer in of 4 Star Hotels enriching Tory Conference sponsors .. and giving the complainers a platform and voice to an "us" & " them"

Last edited:

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Poor Asylum seekers.
They could issue a Humanitarian Visa's as discussed in brainstorming policy meeting with members and Ngo's at the Labour Party Conference ... so it would mean Asylum seekers could travel to the UK by normal legal means and still apply at border as the law insists. .
This would deny trafficker's routes and their blood and misery money ...

Then fix what is a broken Home Office of Priti Patel, which as we have seen today can't even Administer or deal with the mistake of past Tory Govts in their “Hostile Environment” policy Windrush ...

So Asylum seekers aren't kept in limbo what can be up to years .. and at cost to the taxpayer in of 4 Star Hotels enriching Tory Conference sponsors .. and giving the complainers a platform and voice to an "us" & " them"

How would that system work for returning those that fail their claim?

Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
How would that system work for returning those that fail their claim?

Why not first agree there is positives to this system that the present doesn't ? .. seen when held in comparison to the Priti Patel policy which feeds the revenue of misery and the death the smugglers provide ...

Rather than being partisan on what is as seen a deadly problem it seems hoping to find flaw ............... this was not what I was asked to option ..

But anyway what do the Tory Govt do now when the claim fails ? would this be any different apart from the positive advantages above that the present policy doesn't seen in deaths and smuggler revenue of misery ?

Last edited:

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Poor Asylum seekers.
Why not first agree there is positives to this system that the present doesn't .. seen when held in comparison to the Priti Patel policy which feeds the revenue of misery and the death the smugglers provide ...

Rather than being partisan on what is as seen a deadly problem it seems hoping to find flaw ............... this was not what I was asked to option ..

But anyway what do the Tories do now when the claim fails ? would this be any different apart from the positive advantages above that the present policy doesn't seen in deaths and smuggler revenue of misery ?

So basically it would open the door wide......with no extra ways of returning failed applicants.

Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
So basically it would open the door wide......with no extra ways of returning failed applicants.

How a wide open door ? the same people but not having to make footfall in the UK to claim Asylum ...

So is that what happens under this Tory Government on returns ? .... as the suggestion put,does the same as now but cuts out less smugglers revenue and possibly less risk of death.

ps I wont expect an answer to this, like last post, when confronted with fact and being questioned ,be it Brexit or Asylum .. they stay stum ...

Last edited:

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Poor Asylum seekers.
So is that what happens under this Tory Government?.... as the suggestion put,does the same as now but cuts out smugglers revenue and possibly the less risk of death .

Still no explanation of how to return them when their claim fails.

Just the Labour line of letting more immigrants in.

And more anti tory rhetoric........your forte.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom