Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
I don't think the leave campaign spent thousands of pounds on public opinion research and advertising on something they didn't think would resonate with the gullible Brexit voters, they lapped up the other lies and promises, that now lie unfulfilled ...and Brexiteers can't explain why....

passportvoteleave.jpg

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Poor Asylum seekers.
I don't think the leave campaign spent thousands of pounds on public opinion research and advertising on something they didn't think would resonate with the gullible Brexit voters, they lapped up the other lies and promises, that now lie unfulfilled ...and Brexiteers can't explain why....

View attachment 23386
Well to be fair Camden, Turkey are in fact still in talks to join the EU. Now we can all say it will never happen but that’s not what any of the official EU websites say. To my knowledge, those talks/negotiations haven’t stopped from either side.

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Poor Asylum seekers.
Who believed 70 million Turks were on their way? We all knew that was never going to happen - primarily because for all its faults Turkey is a proud Republic and would not be dictated to by Brussels.
Lots of people believed it, it was a vote winner hence the reason the Leave campaign pursued it. I had the conversation with a good few of those I mentioned earlier who were convinced they were turning all our churches into mosques in readiness, I'm not joking, that was a serious conversation with a guy locally in the High Peak who had never met a muslim in his life except when he went for an Indian.

Mushroom

Poor Asylum seekers.
It wasn't a talking point around our way and still isn't. I think the only people who were fooled into thinking Turkey was going to join the EU were the Brits who bought properties out in Turkey as part of the sales patter years ago.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Poor Asylum seekers.
It wasn't a talking point around our way and still isn't. I think the only people who were fooled into thinking Turkey was going to join the EU were the Brits who bought properties out in Turkey as part of the sales patter years ago.
Chasey for one.

Mushroom

Poor Asylum seekers.
It was the highlight of the sales patter and the fact that Turkey had opened a few articles to EU membership took a lot in, including some of my neighbours.
I didn't believe it then and don't believe it now.
We just wanted a holiday home that ticked our boxes and to review our position after 10 years.
The EU didn't come into it.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Poor Asylum seekers.
Didnt even come into it for us, in fact, if we'd have been holidaying in Bulgaria/Croatia etc for example, we may well have ended up buying there.

I think it was about the numbers already in the UK from the EU via free movement that swung it for many. Back then it was estimated to be around a couple of million, now it turns out that those figures were completely wrong, that's going by how many have applied to remain, over five million.
I don't think the Conservatives or Labour had an idea what was going on in the North East (cant speak for other regions).

Kanga

Poor Asylum seekers.
That list has a lot of languages on it spoken by people of countries the Brits once colonized. Colonization did not take place to teach the Gujaratis table manners. It’s purpose was to transfer the wealth of the colony to the “mother” country. So let’s say the colonized are coming to claim their own. “We are here because you were there” is a valid statement.
How do you feel about paying reparations?
In most countries a translation service has to be paid for, Turkey is just one, and we have all experienced that. We dont object to the provision of translation services, but the fact that everything is provided for free. This takes resources from the health services when they could be used for medical purposes. Also anything that is free is open to abuse and misuse.
Do you charge for translation services in Norway, if that's your home, or wherever it is you come from?

Kanga

Poor Asylum seekers.
Let’s say I find the Brexit, the Farage congregants, the ‘asylum seekers are nonhuman” gang a basket of deplorables. To hate takes effort, not worth it.
Ah, the wonderful phrase first broadcast by that wonderful American ersatz politician and manipulative wife of the dodgy President Clinton.
Perhaps you are an admirer, or do you just suffer with the same superiority complex?

'A basket of deplorables'. She had no idea just how superior and dismissive she sounded, and neither do you. It was partly that attitude that led to the 'deplorables' voting for Trump, because he listened to them and their fears, and capitalised on them very effectively to get their vote. Look where that led the world. . . not something that has been good for the world.
Just because someone has a different view of politics, usually shaped by their life experiences, doesn't mean you can sneer and write them off as unworthy. Everyone has a story to tell, so who are you to sit in judgment on height with your lofty ideals?
I'm so glad that you decided not to expend any effort trying to hate anyone British, it would be such a shame for you to be tired by the effort. It wouldn't make any difference anyway. You clearly have no idea that the incredible mix of ideals and opinions, and the ability for British people to live within a broad church society in relative peace, are what makes it unique.

UK’s largest household survey found that voting Leave was associated with:
1. Older age
2. White ethnicity
3. Low educational attainment
4. Receiving benefits
5. Infrequent use of smartphone and internet
6. Adverse health
7. Low life satisfaction

Not a happy bunch of people, looks to me.

Given your post above, I rest my case about the results of arrogant and out of touch politicians, and the resulting effect on a democratic society.

uller

Poor Asylum seekers.
Ah, the wonderful phrase first broadcast by that wonderful American ersatz politician and manipulative wife of the dodgy President Clinton.
Perhaps you are an admirer, or do you just suffer with the same superiority complex?

'A basket of deplorables'. She had no idea just how superior and dismissive she sounded, and neither do you. It was partly that attitude that led to the 'deplorables' voting for Trump, because he listened to them and their fears, and capitalised on them very effectively to get their vote. Look where that led the world. . . not something that has been good for the world.
Just because someone has a different view of politics, usually shaped by their life experiences, doesn't mean you can sneer and write them off as unworthy. Everyone has a story to tell, so who are you to sit in judgment on height with your lofty ideals?
I'm so glad that you decided not to expend any effort trying to hate anyone British, it would be such a shame for you to be tired by the effort. It wouldn't make any difference anyway. You clearly have no idea that the incredible mix of ideals and opinions, and the ability for British people to live within a broad church society in relative peace, are what makes it unique.

UK’s largest household survey found that voting Leave was associated with:
1. Older age
2. White ethnicity
3. Low educational attainment
4. Receiving benefits
5. Infrequent use of smartphone and internet
6. Adverse health
7. Low life satisfaction

Not a happy bunch of people, looks to me.

Given your post above, I rest my case about the results of arrogant and out of touch politicians, and the resulting effect on a democratic society.

Don’t blame me. This is what a scientifically conducted survey of Leavers discovered to be Leavers common, unifying features. I did not make those categories up. I gave you the reference, read the article if you can. It is quite long and detailed and requires some concentration.

So, how many boxes did you tick? 😊

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Poor Asylum seekers.

Don’t blame me. This is what a scientifically conducted survey of Leavers discovered to be Leavers common, unifying features. I did not make those categories up. I gave you the reference, read the article if you can. It is quite long and detailed and requires some concentration.

Well I was a leave voter & no survey has come my way.
I personally think the referendum voters was a mixture right across the board on gender and age. I know all sorts who voted leave/remain.
Quite frankly though, the who voted for what is just a BTW now.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Poor Asylum seekers.
I read a report that the constituencies with the highest leave percentage for leave were those northern ( red wall ) areas , which co incidentally enjoyed a high level of asian immigrants .
Steve

Mushroom

Poor Asylum seekers.
The Asian 'immigrants' are now in their 3rd generation in the UK and many of the younger one's voted leave in the cities of Leeds and Bradford and were proud to declare it.
They didn't see themselves as immigrants but British born descendants of immigrants, with businesses in many cases and did not wish to have the EU on board any longer. They also had concerns, ironically, about immigration (depending on where they were coming from).
The white Leave voter in the same areas had no problem with our 'home grown' cousins but didn't want any more on our overcrowded island coming from Eastern Europe as part of the EU/UK open door policy.
It's actually fair to say that the experiment started by Tony BLIAR when in government to let everybody and his dog come to the UK eventually backfired in the traditional Labour supporting areas and most likely led to the Leave vote being successful and the TORY GE win.
Played a blinder there, Tony?

uller

Poor Asylum seekers.
Well I was a leave voter & no survey has come my way.
I personally think the referendum voters was a mixture right across the board on gender and age. I know all sorts who voted leave/remain.
Quite frankly though, the who voted for what is just a BTW now.

There is a discipline named “Statistics”. Sample sizes are selected using a broad data base and constructed very carefully. No sample size is 100% of population. That is why no one asked your opinion.

uller

Poor Asylum seekers.
I read a report that the constituencies with the highest leave percentage for leave were those northern ( red wall ) areas , which co incidentally enjoyed a high level of asian immigrants .
Steve

Considering that the survey found a preponderance of Brexiteers to be white, apparently the Asian immigrants
voted no, and/or in fact do not statistically make up such a large percentage of the constituencies in question as may appear.
In fact, the major commonality for Brexiteers was to be white and older. This has been the result of pretty much every survey taken, not just this one.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Poor Asylum seekers.
There is a discipline named “Statistics”. Sample sizes are selected using a broad data base and constructed very carefully. No sample size is 100% of population. That is why no one asked your opinion.
Well Uller I remember what was being churned out here in the UK after the result, “young people’s lives ruined” etc but many youngsters who managed to get airtime were quick to point out that they themselves had voted to leave.
Once that result came in, there was no going back. If that result hadn’t been implemented our voting system would’ve gone into meltdown.
The remain camp was weak & the Labour Party was so indecisive, that indecision showed even more in the 2019 GE.
As said though, we’ve had numerous assessments who voted for what and why, it changes nothing.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Poor Asylum seekers.
It’s not only your race, ethnic origin, color and religion, it is also your name.

I don't know any trade, walk of life or profession in the UK that hasn't got a mixture of colour, culture or religion. Maybe they all changed their names to Smith.

Kanga

Poor Asylum seekers.

None, neither was I able to vote.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom