Mushroom

Top Poster Of Month
Poor Asylum seekers.
Just watching BBC news.
A number of Asylum seekers who were placed in a former army camp in the UK have been successful in their claim at the High Court that the camp was sub-standard.
They are now eligible to sue the government (UK tax payers) for damages.
Amongst their complaints were - insufficient washing facilities, poor food and NO INTÉRNET !! Oh, and Covid was spreading.
All in all, the facilities provided for free, fell short of their requirements.
Not a patch on the crap hole countries they had left and certainly not as good as the tent town in Calais with great facilities and food. Everyone social distancing there obviously in tent town and of course a 2 metre distance kept on the dinghy coming over to Dover. No chance that they brought Covid with them then?
The one thing this does highlight to me is that a genuine Asylum seeker arriving in this safe country would not be complaining of escaping the danger they allege existed and would be grateful for what has been provided, not suing the providers.
AND who funded their claim?

Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
Funny we are quite rightly outraged when hospital patients with Covid were put in our care homes putting residents at risk resulting in court cases for looking for retribution ... but it seems by some its OK for doing the same to asylum seekers putting them at risk by putting Covid cases into dormitory conditions rather than isolation with only a piece of material drawn across as the beds as protection ....

So instead of hearing the main reason given for a case being taken up we heard it as an afterthought ... quote "Oh, and Covid was spreading" ....
instead we were given the usual complaints on the supposedly ungratefulness of the Asylum seeker ....

Most civilised countries which I would like to think we are among or should be abide by the UNHCR 1951 Convention and its 1967 Protocol on protection of Asylum seekers, which includes their health which Priti Patel didn't care to make sure this was the case.... should we expect any less from the Tory "Hostile Environment" policy on immigration

Poor Asylum seekers.
I would like to know where these asylum seekers should’ve been housed. The world was and still is in pandemic mode and nobody anywhere is safe.

Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
I would like to know where these asylum seekers should’ve been housed. The world wa

The Dorms don't even meet the minimum standards by law cramped with only a curtain away from a covid case , we don't even put our homeless in Dorm conditions with a piece of material between bunks as protection from covid .....

During the week of 15 February 2021 inspectors from ICIBI and Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Prisons (HMIP) visited Penally Camp and Napier Barracks, spending two days at each site.

Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration Published 8 March 2021
  • in September/October 2020, Public Health England had advised the Home Office that opening multi-occupancy dormitory-style accommodation at Napier was not supported by current guidance, and both they and Public Health Wales expressed concerns about the COVID-safety of the accommodation. Both sites were opened before Public Health Wales and Public Health England recommendations had been actioned.

• Public Health England further advised that if the accommodation was to be used, the ability to isolate positive cases and/or establish effective cohorting arrangements was essential to containing any COVID-19 outbreak.

• Given the cramped communal conditions and unworkable cohorting at Napier, once one person was infected a large-scale outbreak was virtually inevitable.

• In our resident survey at Napier, none of those who responded felt they had been kept safe from COVID-19. At Penally, where overall numbers were lower and cohorts smaller, the vast majority still did not feel they were being kept safe from the risk of infection.

• The Crown Premises Fire Safety Inspectorate (CPFSI) informed us of serious concerns about fire safety at Napier that had not been fully addressed at the time of the ICIBI/HMIP inspection visit. The work recommended by CPFSI at Penally had been largely completed.

Ending up with one barrack camp 200 becoming positive .

Last edited:
Poor Asylum seekers.
The Dorms don't even meet the minimum standards by law cramped with only a curtain away from a covid case , we don't even put our homeless in Dorm conditions with a piece of material between bunks as protection from covid .....

During the week of 15 February 2021 inspectors from ICIBI and Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Prisons (HMIP) visited Penally Camp and Napier Barracks, spending two days at each site.

Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration Published 8 March 2021
  • in September/October 2020, Public Health England had advised the Home Office that opening multi-occupancy dormitory-style accommodation at Napier was not supported by current guidance, and both they and Public Health Wales expressed concerns about the COVID-safety of the accommodation. Both sites were opened before Public Health Wales and Public Health England recommendations had been actioned.

• Public Health England further advised that if the accommodation was to be used, the ability to isolate positive cases and/or establish effective cohorting arrangements was essential to containing any COVID-19 outbreak.

• Given the cramped communal conditions and unworkable cohorting at Napier, once one person was infected a large-scale outbreak was virtually inevitable.

• In our resident survey at Napier, none of those who responded felt they had been kept safe from COVID-19. At Penally, where overall numbers were lower and cohorts smaller, the vast majority still did not feel they were being kept safe from the risk of infection.

• The Crown Premises Fire Safety Inspectorate (CPFSI) informed us of serious concerns about fire safety at Napier that had not been fully addressed at the time of the ICIBI/HMIP inspection visit. The work recommended by CPFSI at Penally had been largely completed.

Ending up with one barrack camp 200 becoming positive .

As asked......where could they have been housed. A refugee camp in Kent maybe.

Mushroom

Top Poster Of Month
Poor Asylum seekers.
Of course, none of these problems would ever arise if these 'poor' people lodged their application for Asylum elsewhere.
We are full. We have our own homeless.
Our health visitor friend has a role with these people and apparently all they do is moan, until they get a council house.

Poor Asylum seekers.
Of course, none of these problems would ever arise if these 'poor' people lodged their application for Asylum elsewhere.
We are full. We have our own homeless.
Our health visitor friend has a role with these people and apparently all they do is moan, until they get a council house.

Orban for one wouldn’t let them register in Hungry. He knew if they registered there as first safe country, they could be sent back there. A corridor was opened up to let asylum seekers, refugees etc move into another EU member state with no records.
I do feel for these folk, without a doubt though, many have played a countries system, in doing so, they’ve contributed to screwing others who were genuine.
FB became a route planner and system beater.

Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
Oh you could cite Dublin III first "safe country" regulation....

Oh sorry you can't , because you Brexiteers now means it no longer applies to the UK.... Ooooooh that slow realisation of Brexit reality ...

Last edited:
Poor Asylum seekers.
Oh you could cite Dublin III first "safe country" regulation....

Oh sorry you can't , because you Brexiteers now means it no longer applies to the UK.... Ooooooh that slow realisation of Brexit reality ...

Have you any idea what goes on with asylum seekers/refugees across Europe, like once they land on EUs shores, what happens to them...........

Last edited:

Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
Have you any idea what goes on with asylum seekers/refugees across Europe, like once they land on EUs shores, what happens to them...........

I am sure you are going to tell me, or what would the point of your question be ?

Poor Asylum seekers.
I am sure you are going to tell me, or what would the point of your question be ?

I’m not going to tell you anything but you might ask yourself how these people actually got to the UK & under what conditions they live under across Europe.

Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
I’ve seen plenty of them, have you?

Yes, in London, Istanbul, Paris , Algeciras and Kos ...

A sample of how an EU member state treats them.

You, still haven't got to what the point is ? or is it just a tour of migrant abuse?

Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
I’m just wondering why you haven’t looked & highlighted how your beloved EU caters for them.

Before "wondering" why I haven't highlighted how the EU caters for "them"

In this "wondering" why not try a bit self introspection ? in why you can't even look or highlight on how your own Government caters for them? let alone me and the EU.

I don't know about you, but I always strive for my own country to have a higher standard than most.

Last edited:
Poor Asylum seekers.
Before "wondering" why I haven't highlighted how the EU caters for "them"

In this "wondering" why not try a bit self introspection ? in why you can't even look or highlight on how your own Government caters for them? let alone me and the EU.

I don't know about you, but I always strive for my own country to have a higher standard than most.

I have looked how they cater for them & it’s a damned sight better than many other countries.
I don’t remember seeing them housed in tents in the UK during winter or any other time, maybe you have.

Camden

Poor Asylum seekers.
I have looked how they cater for them & it’s a damned sight better than many other countries.
I don’t remember seeing them housed in tents in the UK during winter or any other time, maybe you have.

This is what you wanted from back in #9 to set it up in comparison with the EU .... rather than on Mush's initial post on the conditions this Tory Government kept asylum seekers .. ( you do it on most threads to get this Tory Government off hook, sleight of hand comparison look over there, not here where it's happening ) you have called wolf to often....

As if comparison in some way mitigates our own Tory Governments handling ....it does not .... a High Court Judge can see it.... as both Unlawful and Unsafe ? But you can't it seems. That Putting asylum seekers with Covid into Dorms with a curtain divide caused a Covid-19 outbreak leading to 200 people contracting coronavirus in this one camp ... not to mention 7 other things the Judge ruled on ... not one on Mush luxury list ..... nothing to do with " insufficient washing facilities, poor food and NO INTÉRNET !! "

Napier Barracks: Housing migrants at barracks unlawful, court rules

Last edited:
Poor Asylum seekers.
This is what you wanted from back in #9 to set it up in comparison with the EU .... rather than on Mush's initial post on the conditions this Tory Government kept asylum seekers .. ( you do it on most threads to get this Tory Government off hook, comparison look over there, not here where it's happening ) you have called wolf to often....

As if comparison in some way mitigates our own Tory Governments handling ....it does not .... a High Court Judge can see it.... as both Unlawful and Unsafe ? But you can't it seems. That Putting asylum seekers with Covid into Dorms with a curtain divide caused a Covid-19 outbreak leading to 200 people contracting coronavirus in this one camp ... not to mention 7 other things the Judge ruled on ... not one on Mush luxury list ..... nothing to do with " insufficient washing facilities, poor food and NO INTÉRNET !! "

Napier Barracks: Housing migrants at barracks unlawful, court rules

Well why not tell us where you/Labour would’ve housed them.....how many one bedroomed flats are empty in Camden Town?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom