Harem

I've cliqued
Pool Maintenance
People are often asking how much it costs to maintain a swimming pool; how much do companies charge, etc.

Well, I gleaned this article from the Fethiye Times and I thought that it might be found useful:

Pool Maintenance Part 1

Way back in 2003 when the village wing bought their land and then went back to UK to plan the house and pool to be built the following year, the male half of the partnership got a large book from the USA in his Christmas stocking that year entitled “The Ultimate Pool Maintenance Manual” – he was horrified.

However, he did agree to be responsible for maintaining the pool in terms of treating the water and daily cleaning.

He has hardly ever opened the book.

But whilst we could afford to build the pool we knew we couldn’t afford to pay someone to come round and maintain it – especially given our location (miles from any other pools).

The company that built the pool gave us an A4 sheet of instructions in Turkish for maintenance and a very brief training session for the reluctant pool man.

Five years later we have a crystal clear pool and very low bills for chemicals, in fact the 2009 season will barely cost £100.

The pool in question is 12m by 3.5m with a standard depth of 1.25m.

It is a long rectangle designed for swimming as exercise – though also used for occasional ball/Frisbee games when friends come round.

So why is our maintenance so cheap when compared to paying someone to come around and vacuum/add chemicals?

First of all our pool is not overused – and we suspect this is the case for many of our readers.

The famous manual tells you how to calculate your ‘bather load’ which is the maximum number of people who can be in your pool at any one time:

- One bather per 15 square feet (1.4sq.m.) of surface area in portions of the pool that are 5 feet deep (1.5m) or less.

- One bather per 20 square feet (1.9sq.m.) of surface area in portions of the pool that are more than 5 feet (1.5m) deep.

Thus our pool has a bather load of 15, when the reality is we have never had more than 6 people in there at any one time.

People dirty your pool and upset the chemical balance in the water.

Less people means less chemicals are necessary.

Secondly when the pool was first completed our intrepid pool man tested the water regularly only to find the testing kit was telling him to add more of this or that.

Hardly ever did the water seemed chemically balanced when he used a testing kit.

Five years on he no longer uses the kits relying on the evidence of his eyes instead.

If the water sparkles all is well.

In part 2 of the article - which I will try to remember to copy and paste - we'll go into a little more detail on how to keep your pool in tip top condition.

jcrian

Pool Maintenance
When we first had the pool which was new to us we were inundated with advice about adding chemicals which if we had followed their advice would have cost a fortune.

We did it by eye and just have a couple of chlorine tablets in the skimmer baskets and the pool stays crystal clear. I doubt if it will cost us £25 for chemicals for the season.

This winter I am going to put in 2lt of algicid and cover the pool with a tarpaulin to stop debri blowing in. Give the pump a run every few weeks to turn the water over.

Will it work? I'll find out in the spring.:dizzy:

Harem

I've cliqued
Pool Maintenance
It should work. We don't put anything extra into ours during the winter. The pump usually runs for an hour during the night and I just make sure the water stays clean, with an occasional vacuum of the bottom and regular and frequent netting of the leaves and debris. Emptying the filters, too, of course!!

Like you, Ian, I hardly have to spend anything on chemicals each year.

Pool Maintenance
I have a 3-in-1 tablet in the skimmers once every 10 days and a jam jar of PH-minus and thats the lot. Hoover when necessary. Crystal clear sparkling pool. Minimum cost.

Pool Maintenance
I get them in Dalyan but most pool suppliers will stock them. They are a stabilised mix of chlorine, algaecide and flocculant.

jcrian

Pool Maintenance
I used the 3 in1 tablets last year. Wasn't able to get them this year as they were out of stock when I was looking so bought the chlorine tablets.

I have found that the pool is staying cleaner with very little stain on the tiles with the chlorine tablets. The only place that needs the occaisional scrub is in the corners where the flow of water is dead.

bev timms

bev timms
Pool Maintenance
Hi

Where can I buy the chlorine tablets then please without being almightily ripped off?

thanks

bev

jcrian

Pool Maintenance
It probably won't help you as I bought my tablets in Fethiye.

5kg tub of 200g tablets for 71TL

hijo

in my own clique
Pool Maintenance
different people using them for a start not showering before going in .also not dipping your feet into a cleaning solution..::Basicly cross contamination:dooh:i am surprised at that question in the first place from someone who advertises swimming pools..:38:

Last edited:

Harem

I've cliqued
Pool Maintenance
different people using them for a start not showering before going in .also not dipping your feet into a cleaning solution..::Basicly cross contamination:dooh:i am surprised at that question in the first place from someone who advertises swimming pools..:38:

What question - and by whom??

hijo

in my own clique
Pool Maintenance
...ooops looks like all landpools(or something like it) posts have been deleted..the question ask from him is why don,t we use normal water in our pools (without chemicals)..and i replied the above :cheers:..ps they should have deleted my post as well, now it looks stupid..!

Last edited:

graham2

Pool Maintenance
Hi

Last year at GSV we had a large bill for pool chemicals. We have two fairly large pools at the standard depth of 1.25 metres. The pools are in use from May to October. Could someone please tell me how much the chemicals would cost.

Graham

Pool Maintenance
As we are looking to get a new maintenance quote for our complex,18 semi detached vills in Altinkum,we were wondering if any one knows where we could buy our own pool chemicals etc ,to try and get the costs down,Also one of the quotes was for labour only,and he says he has his own Insurance in place,Does anyone know if this is possible,Always thought The employer paid said insurance ?? Answers appreciated Thanks Jeff/Chris Also as Graham asked any ideas on costing chemicals too

jearden

Pool Maintenance
Our complex has a 240m3 pool with back- flush sand filters. We monitor and dose daily in the quiet months and twice daily in July/Aug when the sun can wipe out the chlorine in just a couple of hours.

Last year our chemical usage for the 6 month pool period was 1800TL. Add to this the first fill water by tankers at 1100TL, and circulation pump electricity at 1800TL.

So, from our practical experience the total direct operating cost for 6 months was 4700TL excluding labour, repairs, and lighting.

graham2

Pool Maintenance
Hi

I think our swimming pools is roughly 10.000 gallons and we have two of them. The pools cost rose by 75% last year and i have asked for the breakdown of the chemical costs.
The management company said they had used 300 kg of cholrine which i find hard to believe. The pools are open between May and October. Any advice please.

Graham

graham2

Pool Maintenance
John

Its probably double that then. But what does an average size pool use in chlorine a day.

Graham

tykatem

Available in sarcastic to
Pool Maintenance
John

But what does an average size pool use in chlorine a day.

Graham

That depends on many factors including, how long the pool is in direct sunlight for?, how many people are using it? and more to the point how many are using it without first rinsing off suntan lotions/oils?

Pete

Harem

I've cliqued
Pool Maintenance
Unfortunately, merely rinsing does not get all the sun oil/cream off the skin and most of it ends up in the pool water.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom