ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Policeman Awarded £10,000
I really can't see much difference in this and the nurse that had to remove her crucifix for health and safety reasons, except that the risk of injury was much more in this case. All she got though was threatened with the sack?

'A Sikh policeman ordered to remove his turban to do riot training was today awarded £10,000 compensation by an employment tribunal.'

Here

C

bev timms

bev timms
This poses a real dilemma I think for those in any service that requires you to support your colleagues, ie in a conflict or riot situation. If you receive equal pay, then you should be required to undertake equal work load/type and If I were on the beat with this officer would feel insecure about his ability or willingness to offer me the right and proper level of support if the going got tough, if he had not received the mandatory training. I appreciate there has been a lack of clarity and or instruction to the GMP around Sikh officers, but it beggars belief that this was not dealt with outside of the courts, as the costs will vastly exceed the 10-13K he will recieve/give to charitable causes. I do think its important to have all ethnic minorites represented by our forces where possible, but common sense and some forward thinking seems to be sadly missing.

Jan

wiuru

The Officer himself should not of attended the training . What did he think the training would of consisted of video s only ??

I fail to see why he would win £10k when riot training would involve him compulsary removing his turban for the riot helmet to take its place and then I am sure a hanky tied over his bun/ bobble would have been adequate to keep him in line with his religious beliefs. I have seen many a turban replaced with a hanky over the years.

So the way I see it is the policeman just wanted to make an un justified fuss about being politically correct when in fact he was actually in a position to comply with both religion and safety in his place of work.

Crystalclear

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Mind you if he got whacked over the head whilst not wearing proper headgear there would be another big payout methinks. The Police are in a no win situation. So much for equality.

Mushroom

I think the point being missed in the comparisons initially is that the woman wearing the crucifix was a white anglo saxon christian, therefore in the UK has bugger all rights and risks being castigated nowadays for daring to being christian, whereas if you happen to be a Sikh, you can bend the rules which relate to the majority to accommodate the minority.
The UK is the only place where it is commonplace to have to practically ask for forgiveness for having long standing beliefs and customs, just in case it upsets someone who does not have an understanding or generational history and that is why we are going down the pan !
It isn't new - remember the Sikhs being able to claim an exemption under religious rights for not wearing a crash helmet when riding a motorbike as far back as the 70's when Johnny Brit would have been done.
Other than the 'token' Sikh motorcyclist, I don't think there was ever a sighting of a second, but it showed that the majority have to give in to the minority and that was a dangerous precedence to set.
As far as the 'token' Sikh went on his motorbike, he wasn't seen again, perhaps he fell off and suffered a serious head injury, which no doubt would have been adequately compensated through our legal system, but the one thing he did do, as contributed by the Sikh PC, he gave further argument to those within the BNP that the minorities are being favoured, and that can't be a good thing.
It was once suggested (honest) that the bar to being accepted within the Police service should be lowered in both size and intellect to allow persons from the ethnic minorities to join the service. If that isn't an insult to the service, the public and any minority member who wishes to join, I don't know what is, but if you can recall the female PC of ethnic origin at a disrupted meeting involving John Reid when Home Secretary, you would see that it has come true. She was about 4 foot 6 tall and didn't have a clue.
That's 21st century UK Policing and politics - a frightening combination.

DAVIDO

yes mushroom , its just another daft story that we have to listen to now day after day in the news.and if you voice a opinion , people are then classed as prejudice or raceist.crazy crazy crazy.and please dont say the country is going down the pan it will upset other members , so its up to us not to voice our opinion lol lol. simples

davido

Last edited:
Mushroom what a very eloquent and very true post, the problem with PC is it is aimed at minorities and makes the majority look at racism in a negative instead of a positive way.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
I think the point being missed in the comparisons initially is that the woman wearing the crucifix was a white anglo saxon christian, therefore in the UK has bugger all rights and risks being castigated nowadays for daring to being christian, whereas if you happen to be a Sikh, you can bend the rules which relate to the majority to accommodate the minority.
The UK is the only place where it is commonplace to have to practically ask for forgiveness for having long standing beliefs and customs, just in case it upsets someone who does not have an understanding or generational history and that is why we are going down the pan !
It isn't new - remember the Sikhs being able to claim an exemption under religious rights for not wearing a crash helmet when riding a motorbike as far back as the 70's when Johnny Brit would have been done.
Other than the 'token' Sikh motorcyclist, I don't think there was ever a sighting of a second, but it showed that the majority have to give in to the minority and that was a dangerous precedence to set.
As far as the 'token' Sikh went on his motorbike, he wasn't seen again, perhaps he fell off and suffered a serious head injury, which no doubt would have been adequately compensated through our legal system, but the one thing he did do, as contributed by the Sikh PC, he gave further argument to those within the BNP that the minorities are being favoured, and that can't be a good thing.
It was once suggested (honest) that the bar to being accepted within the Police service should be lowered in both size and intellect to allow persons from the ethnic minorities to join the service. If that isn't an insult to the service, the public and any minority member who wishes to join, I don't know what is, but if you can recall the female PC of ethnic origin at a disrupted meeting involving John Reid when Home Secretary, you would see that it has come true. She was about 4 foot 6 tall and didn't have a clue.
That's 21st century UK Policing and politics - a frightening combination.

Very, very true.

may

same difference I remember when I had a restaurant all mt staff had to go on a health & saftey/hygiene course, one of the rules was not to wear gold/jewllery when working with food as it harbours germs,an indian lady who worked in a school kitchen was on the same course was allowed to to wear her her jewllery because it was part of her religion. We lived in England at the time. This was in 1990.

DAVIDO

am i wrong here but isnt it a fact that if you go to certain countries in the world , you have to take of your shoes or something.it is that countries rules . so why is this coutry different.

davido

giglets

Very good post, Mushroom!
As a retired cop, I am totally disgusted by Pc Singh's attitude during this whole sorry saga.
Why he thinks that the Force should be made to "accommodate" him, rather than the other way about, is beyond me.
I think that greed was the main driver here (if not, then why not donate 100% of his award to charity, rather than only 10%) and don't believe for an instant that he suffered panic attacks and palpitations as a result of "stress" caused by this dispute (this is pure lawyer-speak). If he did, then what possible use would he be in a REAL emergency situation!?!
As I have said before, when the tail wags the dog, this is the inevitable result.
And, once again, it shows the tribunal system in the UK for the politically correct sham that it is.
No wonder the majority in this country are totally hacked-off with just about everything!

Dave

Saoirse

I dare say there is a lot in what you have said however as an organisation where there has been accepted to be instittionalised racism its easy to see where those considering the claim had to give credence.

giglets

Hello Philip,

Many large organisations have now been labelled with that particular "monica", causing instant panic and upheaval, when, in truth, they are nothing of the kind.
But, the mere existence of the term does indeed have a marked effect on the outcomes of such cases, as the spineless wonders who sit on tribunals will always go with the prevailing political flow, rather than attempt to use some common sense.
And here was me thinking that each case should be decided purely on its' own merits.
Old fashioned notion, isn't it.

Dave

Saoirse

Thats basically the point I was making.

A full enquiry carried out after the Stephen Lawrence murder, led to the CC of the GMP admitting his force was indeed racist.

Its problems like this that then allow flimsy/non existent claims to also succeed against an organisation

giglets

Can't agree at all.
Lawrence case was in 1993 and there have been great strides made since then, both within and outside Police Forces, in this regard.
The term "institutional racism" is now much over-used and also much derided and seems to be the fall-back position of people who are "playing the system" - like this officer.
This case seems to boil down, once again, to a favoured minority re-writing the rules for their own benefit (monetory or politically), whilst the vast majority just get on with it!
No rocket science here, nor an important "rights issue" - just pig-headedness and greed!!

Dave

Saoirse

I admire your faith that any large organisation, especially a police force could change so dramatically.

The fact is large public or private bodies reflect society

giglets

To put it in a nutshell - a greedy cop got what he wanted, money - and a bit of notoriety to boot. He will undoubtedly now be treated with very soft kid-gloves by management and probably end up with either a cushy job or a promotion (if he has passed the requisite exams). Take it from an ex-insider!
For him, job done!
To build it into something bigger and deeper is, frankly ridiculous.

Dave

giglets

You really are determined to make this into something that it clearly is not - so predictable and so boring.
You can reel your bait back in now, my friend, cos I'm not biting.
Try something more original next time.

Best regards,

Dave

Latest Posts

Top Bottom