rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Poison - Is it us ?
We have tragically just lost another cat to poison, this takes the total since April of 3 cats poisoned, only one survived and another one died from Kidney failure which could have been caused by poison effects from a year ago, and one other that died we think was poison. So this year 4 dead and one survivour. We live on a small sitesi of mainly Turkish people, when the first cat died I had a note translated into Turkish asking everyone to be careful if they used poison for rats and mice. Of course everyone denied using poison. I do not think that anyone is deliberately poisoning our cats although I have to be honest we have thought about it. But we are beginning to wonder if it could be us, are we growing anything that could be poisonous to cats, we do not use any chemicals so that is out. I should be more than grateful if anyone could come up with concrete suggestions, yes we do have a bird of paradise plant but I understand that it is the seeds that are poisonous.

We are down to 7 cats now and the dog is determined not to let any more strays in, it is an empty house. We are absolutely devastated.

Last edited by a moderator:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Poison - Is it us ?
There are hundreds of plants that are toxic to cats.

I was surprised to see that Lantana for instance, the leaves of which our dogs enjoy eating regularly, is very toxic to cats.

CFA: Plants and Your Cat

carolk

R.I.P
Poison - Is it us ?
Oh Rosewall, I am so sorry that you have lost another one of your cats, its just awful!!

Poison - Is it us ?
there is also the possibility of Feline Aids. my daughters Siamese got the virus after being bit by a feral cat in the Uk. He had a dreadful time, the vet tried him on different medications but in the end he was suffering too much and he was put ''to sleep''

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Poison - Is it us ?
I remember reading about this once Rosewall, following the death of our cat that we thought had eaten something poisonous.

'Most cases suspected of being malicious poisoning actually are not. Cats by nature are curious and have a tendency to hunt small game or explore out-of-the-way places such as wood piles, weed thickets and storage ports. These environments put them into contact with insects, dead animals and toxic plants. It also means that in many cases of suspected poisoning the actual agent will be unknown. The great variety of potentially poisonous plants and shrubs makes identification difficult or impossible unless the owner has direct knowledge that the cat has eaten a certain plant or product.

In some types of vegetation only certain parts of the plant are toxic. In others, all parts are poisonous. Ingestion causes a wide range of symptoms. They include: mouth irritation; drooling; vomiting; diarrhea; hallucinations; seizures; coma; and death. Other plant substances cause skin rash. Some toxic plants have specific pharmacological actions that are used in medicines.

If you think your cat may have been poisoned, first try to identify the poison'.

You can find much more information here such as how to identify poisons, how to treat your cat if you suspect poisoning, and how to prevent it recurring.

C

Moggycat

Poison - Is it us ?
Hi Rosewall,
So sorry to hear about your latest cat poisoning, it really makes you wonder about your neighbours, doesn't it? We have experienced the same thing in Gumbet/Bitez where our house is and know there are a lot of people who disapprove of us feeding the poor animals, but I continue to do so. Hope Gregg is doing OK in Ankara. Moggycat

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Poison - Is it us ?
Thanks for all your support and advice, we are still absolutely devastated, I think not knowing what caused it is so upsetting, it was so quick. I keep going outside and looking for the others. We refuse to try to curtail them, we do not agree with keeping them in so we shall have to be extra on our guard.
Moggycat. Greg is doing very well in Ankara, obviously early days but the signs are good.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Poison - Is it us ?
I am very sorry to hear that you've now lost 4 cats Rosewall, as others have said cats are very inquisitive and do tend to continue to hunt even tho' they are very well fed and cared for. I don't what to suggest, but just to give you my sympathy, it's devasting to lose one's pets.

Lesley xx

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Poison - Is it us ?
Very sorry to hear about your cat . Theres only one ay to find out for sure whats killing the cats That is to have a postmortum carried out . Then you'll Know if its some plant Or feline aids Or if its deliberate poisoning by people , My naighbour some years ago put rat poision behind his shed But some went on my garden My beloved corgi died suddenly I had the postmortum carried out Results Rat Poision . The pet insurance lawyers sorted it out . The least he could have done was tell me And keep it off my garden. it may be a good idea to get them all a blood test for feline aids Just incase Diane

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Poison - Is it us ?
Hi Jill,
Very sorry to hear the sad news... i know how upsetting it can be to find them dead... i remember last summer, Peb and I had befriended a stray cat, Nellie we called her... she used to sit at the door waiting for breakfast, hang around for a while the disappear off to god knows where all day only to come back at tea time for more food. Nellie went missing for a couple of days... no where to be seen... then one day i was hanging out the washing and found her curled up under Max's dog house... it was very upsetting and i found it hard to tell Peb.. i knew she'd be upset.
Unfortunately she appeared to have been poisoned... it's a damned shame that people can do such a terrible thing.. but as others have said, they can be apparently poisoned by some plants... please don't blame yourself Jill.
Chin up... I'm sure you'll eventually find yourself with a replacement.

Alan.

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Poison - Is it us ?
Really sorry to hear you have lost another cat. But have you though of snakes, scorpions, giant centipedes? I have found my young cat playing with all of these creatures - I think she is very lucky not to have been stung/bitten.

Poison - Is it us ?
I'm so sorry to hear of your cats death, we lost two dogs in the UK the same way within a couple of days of each other, never found out the cause as we could not afford post mortems at the time, it was heart breaking.

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Poison - Is it us ?
Hi Jill

Were all the cats that died vaccinated? Had a thought last night regarding the deaths and now wonder if this is what your cats died from - not poison:

Panleukopenia (feline infectious enteritis) is a highly contagious, often fatal disease characterized by a sudden onset and severe gastrointestinal symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea.

This disease is also known as feline panleukopaenia and feline parvovirus. Rapidity of the disease means that death can occur two or three days after vomiting starts or even within 24 hours. This disease is highly infectious. Treatment is supportive; keep the cat warm and free from draughts, and administer re-hydration as advised by the vet.

Diseases of cats and dogs are rife here. Vaccination is the only effective way to control the disease.

pebble

Poison - Is it us ?
Oh my God Jill, I just saw this post.
you know what my first thought was, is it the belediye?
but it couod very well be something as innocent as the vegetation. burgmansias are very poisonous, as i think passifloras are, those are the only two that you have that would concern me. I wasnt aware of the bird of paradise.
you should have at least on autopsy done, it would give you some insite.

what a tragedy dear, i know they are your babies, my condolescents you and colin, you are in my thougts and prayers Jill. It upsets me no end.
remember when i lost heidi last year, it still haunts me.

hang in there dear friend, hang in there.,

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Poison - Is it us ?
Hi Pebble and one and all, just an update, Firstly thank for your concern, have just been to the vets and had a long discussion with him. He is 100% it was poison and more or less narrowed it down to two types. One is rat poison and the other is flea poison. It is too late for a PM which he said would mean just taking a blood sample and sending it away to the lab. (We Need Jordan, she would sort it out and all the Turks as well).Thinking about it we have more or less come to the conclusion that it is someone local with rat poison. Pebble if you remember Izzet who owns the farm part of our sitesi has got chickens and I wouldn't put it past him to be using rat poison. As for plants, we have been through them all and think we are safe there. Still we have been given a syringe that is holding an antidote or something that would start the treatment but that is not to say that we don't have to break all speed limits getting to the vets. Yes Pebble I do remember dear Heidi loved her to bits one of the sweetest dogs you could ever want to have. Chin up yourself. Bye the way remember mother in law, well she sends her good wishes and of course we send ours with them.

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Poison - Is it us ?
Valian
IN answer to your question, some had and some hadn't but I fail to see that a vaccination would help with poisoning which the vet assures us it was.

pebble

Poison - Is it us ?
Jill, you just hang in there., I remember Izzet, and if he felt threatened about the cats wandering into his chicken coup, its no doubt he poisoned them,. you know their mentality, and you know how they feel about cats and dogs.
it is a shame dear. I know how they were your babies. and I too had hours of enjoyment from all your furrie kids.

my sadness is with you

RichnKim

We've Made It!
Poison - Is it us ?
Yes we too are Sorry to hear about your loss.
Its a shame people feel the need to use poison and end innocent creatures lives.

Richnkim

Latest Posts

Top Bottom