Status
Not open for further replies.
points thanks and other bits and peices.
i feel the forum needs to have a look at the thanks and points system.
Who started the most threads and who has been thanked the most or who makes the most thanks etc .
İs there a need to see that huge list of who has thanked who underneath a post.
i feel sometimes that people press the thanks button on a post that has little substance..but more or less to support/please a forum mate..and in this i'm as guilty as anyone else.
However i've noticed with the latest spate of ill feeling one gang votes for this poster and another for the that..splitting the forum into camps making it almost obligatory to to press the thanks button regardless of the content of the post so the thanks is more a solidarity vote.

Believe me i squirm when i see my name as 'top poster'..i hate it...ive acquired that number of posts over the 5 years ive been a member..and these were due to the Turkish language forums the Turkish Primer and the Turkish word a day ...also 'history' and 'off the beaten track' travel forums plus at one time involvement in political/religious debates which while fiery were enjoyable.
İf there is no other way to run the forum than to have these competitive lists...ie top poster, top thread starter.top reputation etc..then i would like my name taken off them.
İ love this forum and unlike others who have a fall out and vow they wont post again...as long as Mustaq will have me as a member i will stay through thick and thin....but i would like to discuss my suggestions.

val2661

Good idea Shirley. I was going to press the thanks button, but felt I should say I really agree with you on this.

Val

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Agreed Shirley, its too easy to do and pointless in my opinion even though I am an offender. Thanks and reputation, get rid.

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
You are right Shirley, it is used to much and therefor meaningless....
I remember in the previous edition of TLF (once upon a time) you could give rep points and that was not visible on the screen and I thought you only had a limited amount of them or could not give them all to the same member, that made more sense to me

ted j

Hi Shirley. Glad to read your last sentence.:) I personally, don't see the points etc as a popularity contest. I wouldn't be bothered if I had none. I am, however guilty (if that's the word) of thanking people, but when i do thank someone, it's because i genuinely think the post is worthy of thanks and not because a lot of others did. Granted, it looks like i'm following certain other people, but sometimes i may have read a post a little later than a lot of people have and then thought "that's true", or "thats really useful". In other words, I thank a post on my perception of merit, not "I should add thanks, because so and so has". With respect, Ted

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
You can close the "Top 5 Stats" field, and any other fields that you don't want to see at the foot of the "Forums" page, by clicking on the arrow on the far right of the red bar.

Harem

I've cliqued
I usually press the thanks button if I agree with what a poster has written and am either too lazy to actually make a post, or don't think it is worth using up the bandwidth just to say "I agree".

giglets

I use the "THANK" button if I either agree with the content of the post, or, if I think that the poster has made a good case, whether I agree or not.
I also use it if I find the post content informative or helpful.
I could not care less how many thanks I either give or receive, but I think the facility is both useful and harmless and should continue.

Dave

Carolyn

I was thinking along similar lines myself Shirley!

I regularly check in but very rarely post nowadays. I'm not interested in many of the topics discussed, something i put down to my fault, rather than anything to do with the forum. Perhaps I've moved on. The forum evolves and changes because of the members. Some come, some go, some come back again, some don't!

I have been a member for a relatively long time and in my naivety didn't even know what the green blobs were for, for ages! Not taking an active part for a long time I can understand how some people perceive there are cliques. It's like being the new kid on the block (or in the playground) once again - it's as difficult now sometimes as it was when we were kids to try and join in an established game or thread.

I have felt overlooked in the past when I have asked a question or responded to a post only to have my question or response leapfrogged over and ignored. Someone who used to be a member and a moderator on here was very good at doing that, so its not a new thing at all. It is tempting at times to see a post from someone you feel you have something in common with and jump in with a response, ignoring others in the way! I enjoy reading most of Shirley's posts, especially those about the history and culture of the country. She is a fountain of knowledge - not the only one I know, but someone who I came to respect back in the "olden days". It doesn't make me a member of any clique or her groupie!

We are a diverse bunch from all walks in life. I was going to say one thing we have in common is a love of Turkey, but perhaps I should say an "interest" in Turkey - there are obviously those who, for very good reasons, are disillusioned, disenchanted and otherwise completely pee'd off with the place!

I do find the "thanks" at the bottom of posts irritating at times - and I too am guilty of using it to thank someone for a post. Not only does it give the impression of cliques it can also make us lazy. Previously if I had seen a post I wanted to comment on or say thank you for, i would have done so. Now I can just give a half-hearted click on the thanks and move on. It doesn't contribute to the good of the forum. For someone who enjoys green blobs and little quotes that look like they come from Chinese fortune cookies and who wants to know if they are "well on the road" or have "much to be proud of" they might be important. Again, and it is just me, if people are competitive enough, then numbers of posts might be important. If I ask a question about "where can I........in ......?" I personally don't want a response along the lines of "I'm sorry, I don't live there, shop there, etc. etc. but I'm sure someone will be along who can help...". Others might enjoy them. They certainly help bump up the total of posts for anyone who wants to count!

It would be a shame to see the forum implode and I'm sure those with an axe to grind will be smiling to themselves to see it doing so.

At the end of the day, Mushtaq is the forum owner. He has the final say, and no doubt if it all becomes too much then he has the ultimate sanction of picking up his ball and taking it away!

Right, sorry for the waffle. I am now going to follow my own advice in my signature and if I've got nothing to say .........

Martyn

I use them for the right reasons as far as I'm concerned. Don't think the totals mean anything, there are people who have lots of thanks who in my eyes are not as good as people with less. I push the thanks when I think a post is good or I agree with them.

As Mark Twain says "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
I have thanked people in some threads that i haven't agreed with in other threads and if a person has a valid point i'll thank them even if i don't much care for them or there posts , There are other issues here that need addressing ...Someone said last night that the forum should be about all things Turkish { or something like that } however on any day you can look at the Home Page and 99% is about Turkey related matters . From Tapu's to Bus timetables & flights and endless other subjects ..tlf is a mine of information for those who need it or want to ask for it , Theres allways someone to respond to a question ,
The other thing i think could be good is a new banning system ..
3 months ban for first offence 6 months for second offence and followed by life ban
a bit like third time loser in usa , ..I don't expect everyone to agree with me but i don't expect to be insulted for writeing this post either , ....Things get far to petty and people go off on a tangent ...If this forum is kept to legal matters Tapu's and Rip offs it will be very depressing and boring ..no matter how much we sympathise with thier situations we cant change it , ..So some threads are light hearted and even those with tapu problems take part it seems to cheer people up ..Anyway thats just my opinion And if most of the regular posters didn't post as regular not many threads would be answered at all ! ........Thanks for listening Diane

huggi2010

well I like the points thing-I am only new and mine already says I am extinguished-can you give thanks to your own post?

lippy

i feel the forum needs to have a look at the thanks and points system.
Who started the most threads and who has been thanked the most or who makes the most thanks etc .
İs there a need to see that huge list of who has thanked who underneath a post.
i feel sometimes that people press the thanks button on a post that has little substance..but more or less to support/please a forum mate..and in this i'm as guilty as anyone else.
However i've noticed with the latest spate of ill feeling one gang votes for this poster and another for the that..splitting the forum into camps making it almost obligatory to to press the thanks button regardless of the content of the post so the thanks is more a solidarity vote.

Believe me i squirm when i see my name as 'top poster'..i hate it...ive acquired that number of posts over the 5 years ive been a member..and these were due to the Turkish language forums the Turkish Primer and the Turkish word a day ...also 'history' and 'off the beaten track' travel forums plus at one time involvement in political/religious debates which while fiery were enjoyable.
İf there is no other way to run the forum than to have these competitive lists...ie top poster, top thread starter.top reputation etc..then i would like my name taken off them.
İ love this forum and unlike others who have a fall out and vow they wont post again...as long as Mustaq will have me as a member i will stay through thick and thin....but i would like to discuss my suggestions.
I am with you on this might stop the old pals act which is very prevelant at the moment.Everyone,that is,everyone only gives thanks where it's due,of course they do.I have seen one in particular who has given an inordinate amount of thanks,a very greatful person no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom