Pm Erdoğan against caesarian births and abortions
The Family Minister is backing up Rte's condemnation of caesarian births and abortions.
Abortions he calls murder..which is emotive but debatable.

Caesarian births he also says are wrong
There is a very high rate of caesarian births in Turkey and when you look at the figures over 37% in 2008 ..although the figures differ when you look at the demographic data that has been collected...with higher rates in urban affluent areas than in poor rural areas...

However İ dont think that the PM has a right to address this in such a high handed dismissive tone.
İnstead he might have also commented on the higher than average infant and maternal mortality rates in different sectors of Turkish society
Before he opens his mouth and puts a foot in it ..and gets away with it...he should have discussed the trends with Health ministers and members of TBB

POLITICS - Family Minister backs Turkish PM on abortion, Caesarean births

Last edited:

kemerkid

________
Re: Pm Erdoğan against caesarian births and abotions

True, very true.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Can you hear the sound of clocks being turned back?

louise17

Whilst I do not want to comment on the whole abortion debate I do think that the rate of c-sections in Turkey is outrageous. Out of the many european & turkish people I know who have had a c-section none of them were medically indicated prior to surgery, they were done due to the mothers 'choice' and under a general anaesthetic. Clear lack of education about the risks of c-section to baby & mother & also the lack of education about a 'normal' delivery these are the issues that should be addressed.

Can

i agree with the PM on this one especially about the unnatural way of birth without medical necessity.

teosgirl

I think the PM's comments show a disgusting level of ignorance on his part. Labelling women who have abortions as 'murderers', lumping them in with the likes of child killers, is totally unacceptable and hurtful in the extreme, especially as it is a legal procedure in Turkey; he has no legal standpoint to make such decisive comments. I'm not surprised that women groups are up in arms about it.
He's shown a deep insensitivity discussing the matter, and is yet again preoccupied with issues that have nothing to do with him. In Turkey you need your husbands permission to have an abortion and yet there was no mention of this responsibility in his speech. His comments are a disgrace, I can imagine how those who have recently had, or are considering having, an abortion feel right now.

Charlotte

Edited to add this link:

RIGHTS - Ban proposal adds fire to raging anti-abortion debate

Parliaments Human rights commission is discussing a ban on abortion now - could this be considered an Oxymoron?

Last edited:

Can

i think 3 weeks old abortion is not the same thing as 13 weeks old abortion. legally abortion can be done till 10th week.

a ban on abortion will push people to other uncontrolled ways to cause miscarriage, which would be awful.

there are many medical reason which may make abortion necessary, as well as social and economical reasons which are as valid as the medical ones.

alison09400

This subject was again talked about on this morning's breakfast news on Kanal D. It seems that abortion was illegal here until 1983 but at present a pregnancy can be terminated up until 10 weeks. It will be talked about today at Parliament and they are considering making it illegal again.

I'm sure that there are doctors who carry out abortions well after 10 weeks and this to me is totally unacceptable. I am not against abortion, it's everyone's choice but if it's going to be done at least do it at a very early stage; not when the foetus has fully formed.

As Charlotte has said, you need your husband's signature to have an abortion, so the simple solution to not having them is to use proper birth control. The pill is easily accessible here as well as condoms; and sterilisation. I don't know if the implant method of control has reached Turkey or not.

There is no excuse these days for unwanted pregnancies within marriage.

When I was attending the Doctor's surgery while pregnant with my daughter, I couldn't get over the amount of women I came across who were waiting to go in to the treatment room for an abortion...they were as unconcerned as you like, as if it's something they do every day of the week.

Last edited:

alison09400

Well the last time I looked, you couldn't get an abortion in Northern Ireland either ;)

Firebrand

I was quite shocked to read that a woman needs her husband's permission to get an abortion in Turkey. So what do women do that don't have husbands, or a husband who gives permission?

alison09400

Women don't choose to have abortions for fun, it's mostly a difficult decision which many live to regret, or never forgive themselves for. At the end of the day it may be their only option for one reason or another.

Charlotte

True for the majority maybe, but there are those who choose it as a way of contraception. That's the disgusting part of it. In this day and age, generally speaking, there is no excuse for unwanted pregnancies.

As you've no doubt seen, condoms are widely visible in chemists and supermarkets even here. When registering with the local doctor, all women are asked how they are protecting themselves against pregnancy. The morning after pill has been available here for a long time.

I am not against abortion, it's a personal choice, but the relaxed view taken by many in Turkey is what makes me angry.

C-sections have increased in most affluent societies.if you compare C-sections in Western Turkey to Eastern you will see a marked difference. The so called educated professional woman is more likely to opt for a caesarian - to fit in with her life style. this isn't just in Turkey in the US and the Uk the rates are far too high and money makes it possible
Also we cant dismiss how lucrative this is its big business.

İn the East where C-section is not easily available you have a higher perinatal and maternal death rate...of course this is not only due to whether a woman has a caesarian delivery or not, other contributions come into it..not least lack of education and poverty

the PM should save his remarks to address these factors after 10 years of running this country things have taken some backward steps. it is not for hım to discuss what is right or wrong he should save his moralising and go into the priesthood where he can do less damage.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom