moortenerife

moortenerife
please be carefull
hi, i just got back from side on wednesday and to be perfectly honest it may be my last visit there. my son and i were attacked by two men just for parking outside there shop. we were going to buy some bread, visit the estate agent who had just sold our apartment and then have a look in the shop in question as it was the last day of our holiday and we still had a few gifts to buy. we parked outside there shop, the man came out and asked us to move the car back from his shop, when i asked him why he wanted us to move, he said he did not want us outside his shop. we thought he was joking so we just left it there and went in the other shops. when we got back he was sweeping the path and putting all the rubbish over the car, as we tried to get in the car he grabbed hold of the door, shouting and waving his fists, kicking the car, another man came out of the shop and joined in. i tried to shut the car door as i was really frightened. in the end my son had to drive off with the door open as i thought he was going to hit me. we drove round the corner and i told the estate agent what had happened, i was shaking and crying by this time as i have never been so scared in all my life. people came out of the other shops and tried to calm me down. the man in question came over as there was a bit of an argument going on at this time, and he said that we should have moved when he told us to and that he did not want our sort parking outside his shop. i think he meant because we were english. with that i told the estate agent to put my other apartment up for sale as i do not want to set foot in turkey again. it seems to me that english people are not as welcome in turkey as they used to be as someone else told me that they were getting charged more in shops for goods than other foreigners. my turkish friends told me that this was an isolated case and that he was in the wrong, however i have been home a few days now and it has still shaken me up. i wish i had gone to the police and reported him but as it was only six hours before we went to the airport i was worried in case we wouldn't get to the airport in time. we were lucky that there was no real damage done to the car, only a slight dent and scratch to the wing where he was kicking it. i do think that he would have hit me if my son had not have driven off and that is the frightening part about it. i hope i can one day put this behind me but i dont think i could ever go near those shops ever again.

please be carefull
What an awfull experience, he sounds like a right nutter and they can be found all over the world!I hope you will eventually be able to put it behind you and continue to enjoy time in Turkey.

thingthong

please be carefull
Bloody a*se hole
Sorry to hear of your ordeal,but one must remember that there is bad in every city and country.

Last edited:
please be carefull
I think the shop owner over reacted but yes you do not park in front of Restaurants or shops, it is a generall rule as it is their living and you hide the shop if you park in front this rule is for all Turks and foreigners alike.
I am amazed that you did not know this being that you have property over there.
He thought that you were being rude as you ignored him and the rule , where were you on your holiday?

please be carefull
I think the shop owner over reacted but yes you do not park in front of Restaurants or shops, it is a generall rule as it is their living and you hide the shop if you park in front this rule is for all Turks and foreigners alike.
He thought that you were being rude as you ignored him and the rule , where were you on your holiday?

Well we didn't know that!

Saoirse

please be carefull

Cant go along with that at all!

This was a disgraceful way to behave. No excuse for it whatsoever.

moortenerife

moortenerife
please be carefull
hi denise, we have been going to turkey for seven years and have owned property over there for five years and have never been told this. how come no one has ever asked us to move before then. does this mean that they also buy the piece of road outside the shop/restaurant. when we spoke to turkish friends how come they did not think we were in the wrong, if they are that petty about things like this does it also mean that you cannot walk or stand outside the shop in case they ask you to move. sorry if you think this sounds silly but nothing warrants anyone being threatened in this way.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
please be carefull
yes you do not park in front of Restaurants or shops, it is a general rule as it is their living and you hide the shop if you park in front this rule is for all Turks and foreigners alike.

If you think that's a general rule over here then, you've been had over by someone. :gulme:

That's a bit like people in England who think they're the only one's allowed to park outside their house. It's rubbish.

Angela Stansfield

Non Active Member
please be carefull

Total rubbush!!! The Turks park anywhere they like!!!

please be carefull
well I think you all have your head in the clouds, all areas of Bodrum peninsular will not allow any parking in front of their shops or Restaraunts in and they put barriers up to stop it.
I do not agree with his attitude , bodrum area they have this rule . And I think you can cut the sarcasim as I was not being rude to get a mouth of c*** from you lot.

PASH

please be carefull
well I think you all have your head in the clouds, all areas of Bodrum peninsular will not allow any parking in front of their shops or Restaraunts in and they put barriers up to stop it.
I do not agree with his attitude , bodrum area they have this rule . And I think you can cut the sarcasim as I was not being rude to get a mouth of c*** from you lot.

Never heard of this rule and have been in Yali for 5 years, everyone parks where they like and i have never seen any irate shopowner demanding that they move on. I have seen shop owners put cones outside their shop, generally on market day when parking is at a premium. Can you tell us where you heard this rule???

carolmon

please be carefull
I've a holiday home in Bodrum and I've never heard anything like this....... Denise is this the law or just something you were told is the custom??

OP sorry you were at the wrong end of such an agressive onslaught, like others have said unfortunately there are nutjobs everywhere, try not to let it put you off Turkey, after all people came to assist you and assure you that he was wrong,
hope you're feeling better soon.

PASH

please be carefull
I was in Bodrum twice last week and parked on the front outside the shops and restaurants with no bother at all. Have done for years

Saoirse

please be carefull
Note to self......Avoid motoring trips to Bodrum, Car Parking rules STRICTLY enforced!

please be carefull
No I just keep getting told to move which is general everywhere if you park to close to their shop front.

Why am I getting this verball abuse when I spoke it is general around here. And if it was not the law then why don't they stop it !

PASH

please be carefull
Den, no one is giving you verbal abuse, its just that i for one has never heard of this rule you are talking about and have never encountered a problem in five years of parking in Bodrum and other towns. I am truly sorry for your experience but think perhaps, he was just a "nutjob"

Latest Posts

Top Bottom