Saoirse

Players you have met
Ceemacs post re Tevez reaction to a fan made me think of how players come across to fans when they meet the public.

My claims to fame are

1 have had a drink/yarn with Norman Whiteside AND 2 my bruv in laws mate met GOD aka Henrik Larrson (said he was very shy)

Anyone else got stories re meeting players?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Players you have met
Danny Blanchflower and Eddie Firmani were both stopping at the same hotel as me and an operations team from TNT and they payed the bar bill for a whole evening session.

It was sometime in the late 80s and they were doing a coaching tour of the North-West of England.

Last edited:

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Players you have met
Bobby & Jack Charleton. Met them wandering around the grounds of St Andrews Cathedral in Fife.

Jeannie

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Players you have met
'Ceemacs post re Tevez reaction to a fan made me think of how players come across to fans when they meet the public'.

I think you mean Gary Neville.

I met the late great George Best though not when he was playing.

He was very pleasant - mind you, he couldn't have been anything else as I was dating his sister at the time!

C

Saoirse

Players you have met
A fella I know shagged one of them outside the old Supermac near Belvoir years ago

He told me she used to always go on about our geordie being on the telly!

His dad was an absolute gent too-met him a couple of times

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Players you have met
'A fella I know shagged one of them outside the old Supermac near Belvoir years ago'

You've got such a way with words.... :)

C

Martyn

Players you have met
We were on holiday in Sorrento and were down one of the small side streets doing a bit of shopping. My wife went shopping and I found a small bar with a tv outside on the street where the Euro 2004 matches were being shown. There was not much space so I asked 2 blokes if I could share their table. They said yes so i sat down with my drink at the rocky table on the cobbled street. Within 5 minutes I had knocked over one of the drinks and immediately got him another. It turned out both of the men were from Rangers FC coaching staff and the one whose drink I knocked over was John 'bomber' Brown ex Centre Half. Anyway we went on to have a few drinks and a good laugh.

I played in a match and marked(I played CH) Mike Gatting ex England cricketer and a good footballer. Playing in the same match was Steve Gatting(Arsenal) who was about 15 at the time playing in a mens match and went on to score 4 goals.

I played football at school with Tony Currie and his brother Paul whose son Darren is a pro also.

tjd

Players you have met
Met Tim Flowers, on his first day at Southampton Football club when there was no accommodation for him at the club and we were staying in the same hotel.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Players you have met
met george best outside his white tiled house in woodford, me and a mate had cycled up from manchester aged about 8 or 9
met mike summerbee loads of times, tight as a ducks arse !
alex williams (city goalie) was a childhood friend, we all went to my mums house to watch a cup final in colour, my dad was one of the first to have a colour tv in the area, alex hated playing in goal when we had a game. really nice guy but not seen him for 10 years or so

martin

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Players you have met
Played darts with Emlyn Hughes in a pub on the Wirral in the eighties. He beat me too. Nice guy being a redshite.

jewel

Players you have met
Our next door neighbour in Turkey is Sean Teale, (EX Aston Villa).... My Son's best friend at school Kevin Kilbane,( Ex Everton,now Hull and Irish Republic) lovely lovely lad. Met Tom Finney many times in our local bank, Jimmy Armfield ,once got a tip of Lou Macari at Haydock Races when I was glancing at the runners in the paper and he peered over my shoulder and asked what I was going for,he gave me a horse,sadly it came in 2nd !!!!.

Smiler

Players you have met
I'd always hated Perry Groves, ex Arsenal & Colchester. During a cup game between Forest & Arsenal, Forest scored, he fished the ball out the back of the net, turned around and spat into the crowd, covering me. Ever since, I swore if I saw him in the street, there would be a reckoning. At a friends party 3 years ago, I was talking to a fat bald guy about football, we got on very well, although I remarked to my wife on the way home that, "tubby was a great bloke but knows nothing about football" whereupon she remarked, "I was going to ask you when you and Perry had become friends"... It turns out Perry Groves is best friends with my wifes friends husband.

Met Bobby Robson outside the City Ground one day, perhaps he was having a bad day but he was one miserable sod who refused to sign autographs for the kids waiting for him.
Met Barry Fry in a bookies in Nottingham. Total opposite, had time for everyone in there.

Last edited:

giglets

Players you have met
Met Kevin Keegan at the bar in Glasgow airport. Great little guy and full of good stories.
Almost booked Henrik Larsson for speeding - but recognised him just in time.
He got a warning!

Dave

Saoirse

Players you have met
what was he like????

How close did you get to him???

what was his car like?

was he friendly?

Verily I say to you now, Henrik was bigger than god!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom