ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Plastic Food Containers
An article from Todays Zaman reminding us of the possible health hazards associated with using low quality plastic containers for foodstuffs.

Here

From what I can gather, it has not been proven that using plastic for food preparation, storage, or cooking is completely safe, yet it's everywhere - our milk now mostly comes in plastic containers.

I'm not sure either if there's a big difference if any, between the EU regulated plastics we use in the UK, and their equivalent in Turkey.

Here's an article that gives some info and advice on using plastics in the kitchen.

Kitchen Plastic: Easy Greening | Healthy and Green Living

C

Andy

Plastic Food Containers
Interesting read Craig Thanks

6. Never microwave foods in plastic containers. “Microwave safe” means the container won’t melt or warp, but doesn’t mean it won’t leach. Heating plastics increases the potential for leaching of chemicals into your food.

Shall give more thought to this one in the future ?

Plastic Food Containers
I am sure that I remember reading some time ago, there is a government regulation stating that all bottles of water should be kept out of the sun due to the leaching of carcenogenic from the hot plastic into the water.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Plastic Food Containers
Makes you wonder about those little Chinese takeaway containers.

How many times do we reheat those in the microwave?

There doesn't seem to be huge amount of cautionary material or government advice on these things (maybe I'm wrong though), but I have often wondered why cancer seems to be more and more prevalent these days, as it never seemed to be as common years ago?

That would tend to suggest that we're doing something differently nowadays - the hugely increased use of plastics for food is certainly something we're doing differently.

C

Plastic Food Containers
thanks for that..its made me take a serious look at what im using..
we were in Kipa yesterday and there was a sale on with a lot of plastic stuff going for 1lira..i bought a few storage containers now im off to check everything.
What about freezer bags...? and lately iv been using plastic popper bags to make ice cubes..you can buy them in Bim...i wonder if these are safe?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom