KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Plans To Combine Fethiye Markets
Apparently the Fethiye Chamber of Commerce has proposed that the Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday Markets around Fethiye should be combined.

In my view it will cause a huge loss in business to the fresh produce sellers as they'll have far less opportunity to sell their produce before it goes off.

News snippets week ending 27th June - Fethiye Times

It does seem to be a strange proposal.

I wonder what could the reasoning be for such a proposal?

It will make life more difficult for the local population and reduce the opportunities for visitors to spend their money.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Makes you wonder if the Fethiye Chamber of Commerce is acting as the voice of the supermarkets and is trying to knockout some of the competition ?

Bubskar

Here we go again. Mucking around with our choices of market shopping.

My first rental home was a little Turkish house on the Gunlukbasi football stadium. Every Saturday night the market would set up and on Sunday the market would be buzzing. What a great atmosphere it had. I could literally lean over my garden fence and do my shopping without leaving the garden! Ufak the guy who sold groceries would plug into my electricity on Saturday night and on Sunday I would go and get anything I needed such as rice,tea, cleaning products etc. by way of trade. It was great too as everyone I knew would come to the market and pop in for coffee and sit and have a chat. What brought the demise of this market was that it spilt out onto the main road. There were at least 20 stalls lining the road and it was declared to be too dangerous and therefore the market had to move. I was devastated by this action. They also made a stupid rule by way of stating that wherever the new market would be, only one member of a family could run a stall. There were many families who would have two or three brothers selling different things and so this became an issue for some. The result of this was they split the market, one in Calis and the other in Catalarik. In my opinion they have never had the atmosphere of the original market as it was.

My preferred market is Patlangic. It is smallish but by far the best for fresh produce. I stop using the Tuesday market when the heat rises as it is unpleasant and tortorous in the heat and leave it to the tourists.

Like the article states - why try to repair something that's not broken. Leave our makets alone is what I say.:122ia:

Bubskar

Here we go again. Mucking around with our choices of market shopping.

My first rental home was a little Turkish house on the Gunlukbasi football stadium. Every Saturday night the market would set up and on Sunday the market would be buzzing. What a great atmosphere it had. I could literally lean over my garden fence and do my shopping without leaving the garden! Ufak the guy who sold groceries would plug into my electricity on Saturday night and on Sunday I would go and get anything I needed such as rice,tea, cleaning products etc. by way of trade. It was great too as everyone I knew would come to the market and pop in for coffee and sit and have a chat. What brought the demise of this market was that it spilt out onto the main road. There were at least 20 stalls lining the road and it was declared to be too dangerous and therefore the market had to move. I was devastated by this action. They also made a stupid rule by way of stating that wherever the new market would be, only one member of a family could run a stall. There were many families who would have two or three brothers selling different things and so this became an issue for some. The result of this was they split the market, one in Calis and the other in Catalarik. In my opinion they have never had the atmosphere of the original market as it was.

My preferred market is Patlangic. It is smallish but by far the best for fresh produce. I stop using the Tuesday market when the heat rises as it is unpleasant and tortorous in the heat and leave it to the tourists.

Like the article states - why try to repair something that's not broken. Leave our markets alone is what I say.:122ia:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom