Plagiarism
İ'm not alone in noticing that there are a lot of posts lately where the information has been taken from another source on the internet and pasted here ..theres nothing wrong in this İ do it quite often with articles from Bianet.. if its not written by me İ say so.. .this is only fair to the original writer......and of course its illegal.
İ would be very annoyed if someone was posting my writing as their own.

Plagiarism is against forum rules..in fact its against rules anywhere to quote another persons writing as being yuour own..and taking the credit for it without owning up...its the same as cheating...:horn:
so please give credit where its due.

Last edited by a moderator:

carolk

R.I.P
Plagiarism
Re: plagarism

Where is it Shirley?

Sorry, I have seen it now! To be honest I am not bothered, this is a forum and we are not writing a thesis.

Last edited:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Plagiarism

I am bothered by it. Apart from bad manners it suggests that it is the thinking of the poster, when it is not.

Many of these are nothing to do with Turkey anyway, so the point is completely lost.

As it happens, I would rather have a relevant part of an article pasted into the script (and correctly credited) than be sent to another web site to read an article.

Ian

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Plagiarism

First time l ever heard of Bianet.. Great site,full of information.
l love logging on religious and scientific sites to seek what the reasons are behind us being here on earth and why we are here.
l study these quite regularly and word it in my way.

l hold my hands up to actively delving into the plagiarism when l first joined.But a well respected member here pointed it out to me what plagiarism is and the laws behind it to protect some one's work.

teresa

Free Thinker
Plagiarism

As it happens, I would rather have a relevant part of an article pasted into the script (and correctly credited) than be sent to another web site to read an article.

Ian

I prefer the link myself as usually the original article is easier on the eye than the cut and pasted script. Plus you get pictures etc.

It is just my personal choice.

zozatky

Plagiarism

I am bothered by it. Apart from bad manners it suggests that it is the thinking of the poster, when it is not.

Many of these are nothing to do with Turkey anyway, so the point is completely lost.

Ian

Having read quite a few posts on this forum since I joined. Turkey related topics is not the main stay . But once again someone has mentioned that this forum is for Turkey related topics only. Is this forum for Turkey related topic only???

Martyn

Plagiarism

Of course copying complete articles from other forums and websites are normally breaking copyright. Somewhere in the small print on their site will be something about copying from there. The best way if it is allowed is to copy a small sample and then post the link. Don't forget websites and forums depend on traffic of people visiting their site and if you post a complete article without a link you could be robbing them of some of their income. Advertisers pay according to the traffic you get so the more traffic the more they can charge for advertising. If we spot people posting complete articles we often pm that person letting them know about it. As you know you can report any post about this and we can edit the post and pm the poster accordingly.

Last edited:
Plagiarism

Jeeze!
This sort of post can drive a chap to seeming paranoid.
There are only about 7 or so names after the first post. I am one.
No I have never offended.

Last edited:

Martyn

Plagiarism

Yes I can see your point Shirley but I was covering both points. Copying from another website robs them of potential traffic. Plagiarism may or may not be infringing copyright.

Last edited:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Plagiarism

Having read quite a few posts on this forum since I joined. Turkey related topics is not the main stay . But once again someone has mentioned that this forum is for Turkey related topics only. Is this forum for Turkey related topic only???
Who said that?

Ian

icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Plagiarism

Anyway talking of plagarism...... I have to say although I cant name names, this is a little TRUE story.
My dad used to love the piano, music, singing with mum,and composing. One time he composed for my mum a song. He was very proud of it as we all were. He read of a competition for a song writing contest and sent in his song, never heard anything back. Untill about 2 years later a "somebody" on the Tele came on with a brand new song. He even reached I believe No 1 or two in the charts.
We as a family couldn't believe what we were hearing because it was Dads song almost word for word, tune for tune. I have never forgotten that and will never forgive the thieving B****D that stole it.

Plagiarism
Theft of written material can be a bit anoying but what I realy hate is when the thief EDITS the stuff. We have a local paper which is allmost entirely comprised of pinched material from other papers or the internet. A few months ago they stole one of my pieces and cut it entirely in half. The slightly silly title of it became completely meaningless. In the same issue they cut another piece by a good lady writer in the middle of a sentence! Clots!

Peregrine

Plagiarism

Post no 3!!!

I think he was saying that most of the "cut and pasted" posts were not related to Turkey. I would tend to agree as they seem to end up in the Cafe (because thats where you can discuss anything) or the Back Room

Personally I came on Turkish Living Forum because I was interested in Turkey and living in Turkey

I am not interested in banal drivel about what Neil Armstrong may or may not have said as he got back into the moon lander, and I am not interested in reading about how they used urine to tan leather. If I want that I will go to the Museum or read a history book.

I am interested in things like "Turkish Word of the day" and links to interesting articles that some members manage to find

still each to his own and I geuss if some of you cant find the appropriate forum for the rubbish that interests you then we have to continue to suffer it on here. Shame, but thats democracy for you

Martyn

Plagiarism
Peregrine, I think if this forum was just about Turkey it would be not as active, other discussions are needed and, as like me, just don't participate in the ones you are not interested in. You have a look at a lot of forums which specifically deal with cars, computers etc there will mostly be an area like 'anything goes' there.

Plagiarism
Everyone is guilty - Unhappy Birthday

Hi Mack..how are you
the thread is about plagiarism......not Copyright...
plagiarism is taking credit for somebody elses ideas and representing them as your own.
İ once wrote a travel article which was published in a couple of papers..and i was really chuffed..lo and behold i saw huge chunks of it on another forum..and people were thanking the poster for it..the poster didnt have the grace to say it wasnt his/her work but smugly took credit.
People have been found guilty of plagiarism in university exams too when they have memorised work by others, used them in their paper.and not quoted where the source came from..when this is discovered they are rightly disqualified.
its such a simple thing to admit in a post when work is not your own..

İ think when the only posts that some make are pasted then its because they havent the initiative or the ability to come up with someting original.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom