bickern

Phone Registration now 1500 TL
The registration fee implemented on personal mobile phones purchased abroad by individuals to bring to Turkey increased three-fold to 1500 Turkish liras ($266) with a new presidential decree published Friday in the Official Gazette.

The new implementation will start as of Saturday, according to the decree.

Mobile devices that have not been registered in the person's name on their passport with their personal phone number already in use in Turkey will be blocked from three Turkish mobile phone networks.

Foreign tourists, on the other hand, are allowed to bring one personal device with them and use it for up to 120 days via international roaming or with a Turkish SIM card without having to register it. But after completing the first 120 days, the person also has to register the phone and pay the same one-time-only fee to continue using the device.

The registration process, which can also be done online, requires proof of entry to the country, which is usually an entry stamp on passports.

Previously on November 2018, the same fee was increased from TL 150 ($26,60) to TL 500 ($88,67), while the right to register a phone brought from abroad changed to once every three years, from the previous once every two years per passport.

According to statistics, one out of every 10 phones registered with the Information and Communication Technologies Authority (BTK) are purchased abroad and brought via passengers.

https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/2...rought-from-abroad-to-turkey-increases-3-fold

jmeg

Very confused , I have a Vodafone contract phone which is still in contract till 03/20 which after speaking to Vodafone they said I can use as normal ie data/calls/text as I would in UK for 120 days then need to use back in UK at least once (not a problem because am nipping back in October) Then my 120 days will start again,which again should fall in line with a Christmas visit.By then contract would be up, So then I would have to weigh up registering my phone or just getting new one there by which time Id have my RP, suppose nearer that time the laws may of changed again. Does this sound feasible.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Does anyone know if you restart another 120 days session by leaving the country and returning?

Kanga

Makes a change from milking the motorist.
On which point, has anyone heard about the new rule regarding number plates?
Apparently you cannot have a plate fixed on to any vehicle with screws or bolts, or any fixing showing on the plate, because it can interfere with camera recognition. (I'm told.)
Most cars are ok but bikes and scooters are being failed and fined, and have to produce a new plate fixed according to new regs before getting a new MOT certificate.
I've not seen anything about this in the news, only heard from a friend.

jmeg

IbrahimAbi Yes or that was my understanding with Vodafone not sure on other networks and not sure if it would be Ok just to send sim back by UPS or something or if its got to be actually handset ????

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Makes a change from milking the motorist.
On which point, has anyone heard about the new rule regarding number plates?
Apparently you cannot have a plate fixed on to any vehicle with screws or bolts, or any fixing showing on the plate, because it can interfere with camera recognition. (I'm told.)
Most cars are ok but bikes and scooters are being failed and fined, and have to produce a new plate fixed according to new regs before getting a new MOT certificate.
I've not seen anything about this in the news, only heard from a friend.

In my experience the local agent will be more than willing to change your plate holder for one that has his company name on. the Ford dealer even did my VW free! I suspect some people have placed the screws strategically, eg to make an 'F' look like an 'E' or a 'P' into an 'R'

It is true Kanga. It also means a Turkish MOT fail. I was stopped on a routine police check and warned to change both plates on my car which I did pre MOT. The cost of new plates from the official office was 70tl a pair and the new plate holders were 15tl a pair.
The reason for the screws was that in an effort to save me the cost of a new pair of plate holders (15tl) my friendly cost conscious mechanic put a screw through each plate to fix them.

Last edited:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
I have never paid for plate holders. The 'yetkili servis' has always changed them, often without being asked, in order to promote their company.

Good for you IA.
However, as I needed new plates I decided to throw caution to the wind and splash out 15tl extra on the holders from my local yedek parca man rather than drive 120kms to a yetkili servis to "save" 15tl.

bickern

Once your IMEI number is registered in Turkey (when it logs on to any provider) the clock starts ticking.

bickern

If you come here with a UK SIM then it will roam to the UK, that is how people use phones and watch without a VPN.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
That is new, my wife was refused a few years ago, even though she had an ikamet

Turkcell introduced it about a year ago. Very easy to do in the Turkcell store and excellent offers available. Ikhamet, passport and proof of address is all thats required. Monthly bills can be paid through bank, credit card or in store.

A89

Turkcell introduced it about a year ago. Very easy to do in the Turkcell store and excellent offers available. Ikhamet, passport and proof of address is all thats required. Monthly bills can be paid through bank, credit card or in store.

It is very easy to do and when I recently registered my UK mobile I went onto a contract. However, I will be changing it back to kontör as all extras are much more expensive on contract phones. For example, the roaming packet I used at Xmas was 80tl for a month, on contract it's 40tl per day! At the turkcell call centre they told me it's rarely beneficial to be on contract unless you use lots of talk time .

Alison

Never looked into roaming as ours are Turkish phones and we use uk sims on holiday in Britain. I swapped to contract simply for 29tl a month and getting 3gb data, 1000mins and 1000 messages.

Kanga

New charges for mobiles bought outside TC but used with Turkish sim. .

Turkey has increased the registration fee for mobile phones purchased abroad by tenfold over the past 13 months to 1,838 lira ($308) with a new decree published Monday in the Official Gazette.

The new implementation is set to begin on Jan.1, 2020, news site Diken reported.

The fee was increased from TL 150 ($26,60) to TL 500 ($88,67) in Nov. 2018 and then 618 lira ($ 103) in June and 1,500 lira ($ 252) in July, registering a more than 900 percent increase in the last 13 months, Diken said.

Foreign mobile devices are allowed 120 days via international roaming or with a Turkish SIM card without said registration. Individuals are then required to register the phone and pay a fee to continue using the device without being blocked from the Turkish mobile phone networks.

https://ahvalnews.com/turkey-mobile...r-hike-foreign-mobile-device-registration-fee

Latest Posts

Top Bottom