Maria14

Pets
H
Hello all hope your weather is above 13 degrees its been very wet here in England is it hot there? Im wondering if anyone can help me with my question please. I know that dogs brought back from Turkey must go into quarantine and that they are not part of the pet passport system yet, ( will they ever be? ) but is there anyway round this at all apart from living somewhere else for 6 months before you come home? Im not trying to ask about illegalities but is there any alternative or any sign of Turkey even joining the pet passport scheme/ Many thanks to you

Angela Stansfield

Non Active Member
Pets
Hi Marie. Yes there is a way round it. There are some other threads on here about taking animals to Kos which IS part of the pet passport scheme. I think you just visit for the day and then have to wait 3 months before taking them to England.

Maria14

Pets
Hello Ang is that a definate just one day then three months? Legal or not I cant see what the problem is if you have all the jabs up to date and never have contact with rabies that makes you responsible. Ive worked in a quarantine kennel years ago its cruel and many dogs never get over it.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Pets
You've worked in a quarantine kennel and you can't see what the problem is ? :dooh:

Angela Stansfield

Non Active Member
Pets
Lets put it this way KKOB, if Turkey was in the EU, they would be in the passport scheme - rabies or no rabies.

The quarantine laws in England are excessive. 6 months is ridiculous and because of this, its changing very soon. Once an animal has had its jabs, including rabies, then waits the required 3 month period, there is absolutely no danger that the animal would be infected and not showing signs after 3 months.

Maria14

Pets
Well KKOB i know that they pine away and in some cases have been adandoned because some owners do not pay there fees which results (worst case scenario) the dog being put down. You have to see and work with it to witness the trauma they can go through. I love my dog to much to do that, and I am only trying to find out info not spread the plague or break the law

Pets
Hi Marie. Yes there is a way round it. There are some other threads on here about taking animals to Kos which IS part of the pet passport scheme. I think you just visit for the day and then have to wait 3 months before taking them to England.

Wouldnt you have to travel from Kos to UK though as animals travelling from Turkey to UK would still meet quarantine requirements even if they have a passport

bremar

Pets
Hi Maria14, I am currently going through the process of taking my dog and cat back to the UK. I decided against taking them to France or elsewhere in the EU as I would have to wait a further 6 months here for all the necessary documents to be done. Following that they would have to stay in France or wherever for another 6 months to qualify for the Pet Passport scheme. The whole process is problematic, time consuming, frustrating and expensive but they are my responsibility and I won't leave them behind for any reason unless it is beyond my control.
I researched quarantine kennels close to where I will be going and my brother went to check them out. I got the that information from the DEFRA website. It's advisable to get someone to do that for you if you can. Now, this is where the fun starts, DEFRA don't require the animals to have any treatment before they leave Turkey because they will be checked and vaccinated against rabies at the arrival airport BUT the Turkish Government insist they are microchipped, vaccinated against rabies, parvo, distemper plus treatment for worms, ticks and fleas all recorded on a Health Certificate before they can leave the country. So my 2 beasties will have 2 rabies jabs inside a month.
They can't go from Bodrum because they don't have the necessary customs personnel so they have to go from Dalaman where the customs are, apparently, quite awkward. The next thing is to arrange flights, the owner has to be on the same flight as the animal and the rule here is 2 animals per person leaving the country. The animals are booked on as cargo and then the owner has to try and get on the same flight. If this isn't possible the animal booking is changed if there is room in cargo. So far I have spoken to some excellent people in the various places I have had to contact and they have all been extremely helpful. The next stage of the game is get a suitable travel crate for the dog. He is a huge beast and needs a very big crate. He stands 32" from the floor to the top of his head. I have all the specifications for a wooden travel crate from Thomsons so I am now investigating this possibility. As I said not easy but I will get there.
Bremar

Latest Posts

Top Bottom