Pedigree Dog!!
Last time I was in Bodrum, I have seen many pedigree "street dogs"..

I have asked one of the waiters and apparently they were brought there from the big cities like Istanbul.
Owners bring them there while on holiday and leave them because they can't look after them any longer..

Is this still happening?

I will be there in in February and I don't want to cry again, seeing how they are treated..

tusher

Teresa
Pedigree Dog!!
We queried why there was so many stray dogs with collars on and we were told that people come over to stay for the summer buy a dog and then they go home and just 'dump' the dog.... this is in Kusadasi and we were told by a bar lad at ladies beach and he said the worse people doing this are the Irish and English. - Teresa

pldouglas

Pedigree Dog!!
It is still happening and breaks my heart too. Badly treated animals are one of the main reasons I really don't enjoy Turkey any more, and in fact I haven't been to our villa for about 18 months now and have no plans to do so. Of course we knew animals would not be as well treated there as we care for ours at home, but to see a dog chained up for days at a time is just too much to bear.
I'm not dismissing Turkey soley for this reason alone, but it is a major factor for me and try as I do, I can't stand to witness the cruelty when there is nothing I can do.

felixthecat

felixthecat
Pedigree Dog!!
My husband and ı(who ıs turkısh)lıve ın rented property and we have been lookıng after a street cat and her kıttens.the kıttens are now 12weeks old and as you know fındıng homes for them ıs dıffıcult.
We have rented the property for nearly 3 years from a turkısh landlord we have a garden but for some reason thıs ıs not ours to do wıth as we please.
Only today my husband was at the pazar and the lanlords wıfe approached hım about the kıttens they dont want them ın the garden so she suggested that we put them ın a box and take them to her and she wıll ''take them away''ım so angry.
The problem ıs the number of street cats reproducıng.and ı certaınly wont be DUMPING these kıttens anywhere.

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Pedigree Dog!!
Yes this is true re Istanbul tourists " dumping " their pedigree pets !
I found Murphy - my English Springer Spaniel 2 and a half years ago - he had been running wild for a few weeks- he had obviously been a very pampered pouch before he was dumped as he was used to being showered and dried with the hairdryer ! and all home comforts - ect
He is a lovely boy and I consider myself very lucky to own him - but we will never stop this situation no matter how much we protest - unfortunately
!

Pedigree Dog!!
There should be something we can do about this...

My partner is afraid that I am going to adopt all of them...

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Pedigree Dog!!
There were 2 pedigree rottweilers that appeared to be running wild back in november between yali market and mai sitesi, they appeared quite healthy
back in december i am sure i saw them again but this time they were looking thinner, still foraging out of the same bins.
cant be sure they were dumped or even the same ones, but they certainly were not being cared for.

martin

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Pedigree Dog!!
My husband and ı(who ıs turkısh)lıve ın rented property and we have been lookıng after a street cat and her kıttens.the kıttens are now 12weeks old and as you know fındıng homes for them ıs dıffıcult.
We have rented the property for nearly 3 years from a turkısh landlord we have a garden but for some reason thıs ıs not ours to do wıth as we please.
Only today my husband was at the pazar and the lanlords wıfe approached hım about the kıttens they dont want them ın the garden so she suggested that we put them ın a box and take them to her and she wıll ''take them away''ım so angry.
The problem ıs the number of street cats reproducıng.and ı certaınly wont be DUMPING these kıttens anywhere.

How awful for you -- I know you have both cared for these little ones since they were born = surely they can"t stop cats being in the garden ??

Pedigree Dog!!
We now have our dog all most 3 years portia is the most lovable thing you could wish to have, she was a street dog before we took her on, she was left behınd by her british owners, so its not all down to the turkish!
Jim

Last edited:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Pedigree Dog!!
As we only dip in and out throughout the summer months we do what we can whilst there and take all our leftovers down on our way to the village and feed the dogs, I became quite attached to a beautiful big brown dog, that used to always lay at the bottom of our hill, on the main road, sadly he was not there last time, I can only assume that he was knocked down, or thankfully someone took him in, he was so gentle and we used to get out of the car and feed him and it broke my heart to leave him. I always have treats in my bag and buy dried food whilst there and feed all that I can. We always do what we can, and I echo other posters it is not just the Turks that leave their animals out on the streets.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Pedigree Dog!!
We queried why there was so many stray dogs with collars on and we were told that people come over to stay for the summer buy a dog and then they go home and just 'dump' the dog.... this is in Kusadasi and we were told by a bar lad at ladies beach and he said the worse people doing this are the Irish and English. - Teresa

Rubbish Rubbish all Rubbish ,
My Husband lives in Izmir in the subburbs were theres no tourists , No one go's there . But theres dozens of street dogs , roaming around kids throw stones at them thier thin and no dry place to sleep ..in fact poor things are wild really , This is in every city and village in Turkey , North East West and South , and its past a joke , If i could make it happen i'd call for a strike on visiting Turkey for 1 whole year and inform the Govt of it ,
With the loss of Tourists and the money they bring then the Govt might start to listen , ...Its the only thing i hate about Turkey
The vast majority of UK dog breeders will not sell dogs to Turkey , they mainly come from Germany ans scandinavian countrys , I would never sell any dogs to turkey , ...Why , they don't need any , they don't care and feed what they have allready got ......Diane

Pedigree Dog!!
Rubbish Rubbish all Rubbish ,
My Husband lives in Izmir in the subburbs were theres no tourists , No one go's there . But theres dozens of street dogs , roaming around kids throw stones at them thier thin and no dry place to sleep ..in fact poor things are wild really , This is in every city and village in Turkey , North East West and South , and its past a joke , If i could make it happen i'd call for a strike on visiting Turkey for 1 whole year and inform the Govt of it ,
With the loss of Tourists and the money they bring then the Govt might start to listen , ...Its the only thing i hate about Turkey
The vast majority of UK dog breeders will not sell dogs to Turkey , they mainly come from Germany ans scandinavian countrys , I would never sell any dogs to turkey , ...Why , they don't need any , they don't care and feed what they have allready got ......Diane

Well actually, there are many street dogs in many Mediterranean countries, not just in Turkey.. Have you been to Greece?? or Portugal??
Also Bulgaria, Romaniaa and many other european countries have street dogs..

Government in Turkey is doing something about it; for long time it was out of their hands and there were many street dogs roaming freely around Turkey and spreading rabies.
Now government is taking them - chipping them - vaccinate them against everything and lastly castrate them. This is how it is in Istanbul and big cities in Turkey..

You guys have to let your borough, town hall or local government know about these dogs so they can be protected..

Also in Turkey when you see these children throwing stones at dogs please tell them off... even threaten them; tell them that you will speak to their families, children in Turkey are very scared of their parents. Their parents will not allow this to happen if they knew.

Animal cruelty is forbidden in Muslim religion, if you go to villages in Turkey you will see that they appreciate animals and live with them harmoniously..

I have started this thread about the ones in Bodrum, because they are not looked after well. As I can see here that there are at least 30 people who live in Bodrum - one voice might not change anything but if we all speak they will listen.. after all we bring money into the country...

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Pedigree Dog!!
Well actually, there are many street dogs in many Mediterranean countries, not just in Turkey.. Have you been to Greece?? or Portugal??
Also Bulgaria, Romaniaa and many other european countries have street dogs..

Government in Turkey is doing something about it; for long time it was out of their hands and there were many street dogs roaming freely around Turkey and spreading rabies.
Now government is taking them - chipping them - vaccinate them against everything and lastly castrate them. This is how it is in Istanbul and big cities in Turkey..

You guys have to let your borough, town hall or local government know about these dogs so they can be protected..

Also in Turkey when you see these children throwing stones at dogs please tell them off... even threaten them; tell them that you will speak to their families, children in Turkey are very scared of their parents. Their parents will not allow this to happen if they knew.

Animal cruelty is forbidden in Muslim religion, if you go to villages in Turkey you will see that they appreciate animals and live with them harmoniously..

I have started this thread about the ones in Bodrum, because they are not looked after well. As I can see here that there are at least 30 people who live in Bodrum - one voice might not change anything but if we all speak they will listen.. after all we bring money into the country...

I have been to Greece and portugal and other countrys were they have street dogs, . Animal cruelty may be forbidden but it dosen't stop it happening , as for telling the parents of these children I've seen the parents throw stones as well . People are affraid of the dogs , And there are hundreds of inncidences of dogs being poisend in many resorts in Turkey , as anyone on this forum knows , Yes i do try to help the dogs , by takeing things for them and i intend to take things to the animal shelter, . , People on here know how much i love dogs , and i've seen a lot of them in the 20yrs i've been going to Turkey and own 2 of my own

thingthong

Pedigree Dog!!
Sorry to hear your husband lives in turkey and not with you in the uk...............i agree there are wild dogs in many parts of turkey.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Pedigree Dog!!
Sorry to hear your husband lives in turkey and not with you in the uk...............i agree there are wild dogs in many parts of turkey.

Yes Its a shame we are apart but he has a little girl aged 11 and a elderly mum and at this present time i can't join him , One of these dogs attacked the child as she played in a park , its taken me 3 yrs to make my hubby and stepdaughter understand that not all dogs will do that , I'm glad to say she now as photographs of my 2 dogs in her bedroom and is learning how to say sit , wait , come . in English as of course i haven't learned Turkish yet !!! ......Diane

ChrisBobs

Pedigree Dog!!

R&A
There are some very strong campaigners in the Bodrum area ( even on this forum) , including the vets, that have improved things over the years.
The local authorities are very aware of what they have to do, there are laws, but implementation...?
there are only 2 rescue centres for dogs, one Turgutreis and one Bodrum - where volunteers and members of the Animal Rights assoc work very hard, and hopefully Yalikavak people can get theirs up.
but too many animals..:confused:

Pedigree Dog!!
Gordie who lives in Turkey permanently has told us on many occasions that the Turkish people are afraid of dogs (the past threat of rabies I presume) and that as we say to our children "if you don't behave the bogeyman will get you" they say the dogs will get you, does this have any relevance on children throwing things at the poor animals we live in Gumusluk and see quite a lot of well fed dogs looked after by Turkish people but they do just let them out to roam, in England it is unthinkable to let a dog out for the day to do what it wants you would probably get reported to the RSPCA, we have sometimes had three or four dogs who visit to nick the cat food (we always feed approx 24 stray cats) we find the best and kindest way to say goodbye
to the dogs is a childs water pistol, it does not hurt but one squirt and no dogs also feeding cats helps so many more lives because they are so much smaller, once again many thanks to Giglets for their 70TL donation to feed the cats, it was well spent on the twenty of them they had a whale of a time

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Pedigree Dog!!
There should be something we can do about this...

My partner is afraid that I am going to adopt all of them...

Hi Guys, there are many people in Yalikavak and the immediate surrounding villages who have worked very hard this winter to set up the Animal Welfare Association, here is one thread that you may find very encouraging,http://www.turkishliving.com/forums/yalikavak-forum/29900-street-dogs-cats-yal-kavak.html. Also if you search for Yalikavak street animals, you will find many more threads connected in and around Bodrum area. Luckycat, herself has looked after the Street Animals for 13 years, and does provide a lot of welfare, vet fees, food, etc from her own pocket, as well as kind donations in her Animal Fund Box in her restaurant in Yalikavak called Morgul Antik. Whilst many people are doing their bit, there's still a lot of these unfortunate animals out there on the street, but being fed on a regular basis, some not all as not all will get their when it is feeding time, but they all do try. Whilst we visit this summer we are going to be arranging TLF get to-gethers in the villages and soon I will be posting our first one dates etcetera which will be held at Morguls Antik in Yalikavak, sometime in early May. I'm sure that there are many members on here that give as much as they can, and if us that visit do the same whilst there it all helps. It's the winter months that are lean for these unfortunate animals, as those living there cannot get round to every animal.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom