yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Paying tradesmen?
These guys still have to declare their earnings to the taxman and will be taxed accordingly if it goes through the books

The builder is responsible (as the main contractor) to collect CIS payments off each sub contractor, as far as i am aware that is the law.

When I work for a main contractor I have to give them my CIS number, I also have to seperate my labour from my materials, I am stopped 20% tax on my labour by the main contractor which I input onto my tax return when due, the tax man usually owes me at the end of the year.

If i choose not to declare my material costs, then the main contractor will stop me 30 % of my invoice, this is also the case if I didnt have a CIS number.

If a contractor does a job for cash at lets say £1000 it is actually worth around £1200 to him if he was declaring the tax.

martin

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Paying tradesmen?
Hi ct

cash is acceptable, get receipts and guarantees, it makes no difference if you pay cash or cheque or what ever your rights remain the same, if you paid with a credit card then you have more redress

You must insist on a corgi (as was, i think its gas safe now) certificate and a full instalation certificate for the rewire before you make the final payment.

If the electrician says he will get someone else to inspect it ie another company then he is likely working outside the law (part p legislation) you can ask for their registration numbers and proffesional bodies (dont rely on the signage on the van)

remember these jobs are not complete until you have these certificates, any probs you can PM me or just reply on the forum.

martin

ps the receipts usually show the proffesional body enrollment numbers etc.

but the certificates are very very important.

martin

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom