juco

Paid your TV licence?
How long before the list expands.

Police are stopping holidaymakers who have not paid their TV licence fee or council tax from leaving the country.

New legislation and tighter border controls are being used to identify fee-dodgers if they attempt to leave the UK.

Sun-seekers passing through airports and sea ports are being warned they will be “inconvenienced” if they have outstanding fines to pay.

The UK Government’s E-Borders initiative and the Immigration Act 2014 allow a greater sharing of information between the police and third parties, facilitating more in-depth checks.

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
Paid your TV licence?
Looks like Glasgow airport has started this initiative.

Tax evasion across the borders would be another good thing to look at together with linked UK bank accounts...

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
Paid your TV licence?
If purchasing in U.K the the company notifies tv licensing of your purchase its automatic with sale of Tv and if you've already got a tv licence that's fine.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Paid your TV licence?
Yes, but even when I was a student I always gave a false address when buying a (second hand) telly as I knew that the tv detector vans were empty. It was all a con.

juco

Paid your TV licence?
I get so pi.... off with getting asked for my address and postcode even for cash payments that I often give 10 Downing Street, London, SW1A 2AA
Not once has it been questioned.

evo80

Paid your TV licence?
Under current UK law if you go to court and get nicked for non payment of a TV license you get a criminal record. Ridiculous . They say they are getting ready to change the law to make it a civil offense .About time too.

Hunt 23

Paid your TV licence?
Aren't they just quoting TV license's and Council Tax as examples. It's unpaid fines, meaning that you have been to Court and been found guilty of an offence and fined, not merely a month or two behind in your payments.

Obviously won't affect the good people of this forum.

evo80

Paid your TV licence?
Aren't they just quoting TV license's and Council Tax as examples. It's unpaid fines, meaning that you have been to Court and been found guilty of an offence and fined, not merely a month or two behind in your payments.

Obviously won't affect the good people of this forum.

I am not sure how they categorise it ,but on the radio here they say there are a lot of people being done in court every week for no licence and getting criminal records. Thats why they are changing the law . Of course the BBC are protesting .

evo80

Paid your TV licence?
And if you come into the country on the underside of a lorry you will be encouraged to stay nay given a free council house and free benefits for life.....

I drove back from Paris last week to Calais ,but I stopped 30 mile from Calais for a coffee break and then drove non stop to the Shuttle.. Never saw any illegals ,although its mainly no where for them to stand on the road to the Euro Shuttle.

oldfogy

Just passing through
Paid your TV licence?
I don't know if this is getting confused or as per usual 'Media Scare Tactics'

My point is that there is a hell of a difference between people who do not pay their fines and people who decide not to renew a TV licence or any other type of renewable item.

Yes ok fair enough, tackle the fine dodgers where it hurts.

But don't try bullying people because they decide not to renew something.

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
Paid your TV licence?
Must be a wind up .

And if you come into the country on the underside of a lorry you will be encouraged to stay nay given a free council house and free benefits for life.....

The reason I posted that link as the post before said it must be a Wind Up.

Well the quote at the start of this thread that the OP has quoted - see Post #1: -

Quote:
Police are stopping holidaymakers who have not paid their TV licence fee or council tax from leaving the country.

New legislation and tighter border controls are being used to identify fee-dodgers if they attempt to leave the UK.

Sun-seekers passing through airports and sea ports are being warned they will be “inconvenienced” if they have outstanding fines to pay.

The UK Government’s E-Borders initiative and the Immigration Act 2014 allow a greater sharing of information between the police and third parties, facilitating more in-depth checks.

further news report is here

bickern

Paid your TV licence?
It has nothing to do with TV Licenses, it is about people leaving the UK with outstanding fines of any sort.

“We will always take action against those who have outstanding fines and/or warrants, and those who travel through our airports and seaports will undoubtedly interact with police and law enforcement as part of their journey.

If people are going to break the law in the UK then think they can flee to shores anew and dodge their fines might now think again about paying the said fines.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom