Lin

Our Move
Hi all, I never thought anything could be more stressfull than moving house, let alone moving countries. Our permanent move here has been on the cards for several years, I cant tell you how much we have looked forward to it. Winding up 15 years of our lives in our uk house, completing on the property sale, arranging our stuff to be shipped, our cat and dog to be transported, and saying goodbye to family.
Wrong. Our first six weeks here can more than equal that. First of all worring that the money would arrive at the bank, residency permits, buying a car, having no communication with family in the UK, while waiting for a phone and internet to be connected, getting our stuff out of hock at Izmir customs, and then hoping that my passport arrives here safely.
To top it all our lovely 14 year old cat being knocked down by a car outside our house, (thank god for the lovely guy on the moped who came and told us) which she miraculously survived, but has left her partially blind and partially paralised, who would most certainly would not be with us today if not for the wonderful work of Fulya.
And the major building work at our house, which has been going on for four weeks now, to make it into a permanent residence, rather than a holiday home. We still have no hot water, apart from when the sun shines, the electrics are only a temporary supply, which means you cant turn the lights off, no cooking facilities for days, a roof top terrace room that leaks, a pipe that leaks so badly the water goes through the wall into one of the bedrooms, and so the list goes on.
The stuff arrives from England on Saturday. OMG. But hey, this is Turkey.
All I can say is thank god for the good friends and family here that have helped to keep us sane, and we are looking forward to the day, whenever that will be, when we can start to live again.

Linda xx

val2661

Our Move
Welcome to the Forum Lin. I do sympathise with you. I have been here for two years and wonder when my retirement will start proper!! Once your phone and internet are sorted you will feel much better. Keep smiling and I hope you enjoy your new life in Turkey eventually.

Val

Lin

Our Move
Hi Val, the internet and phone have been sorted, thank goodness, thats been ok for a couple of weeks, and thanks for your good wishes.
Linda

tomc1984

Our Move
Good luck Lin, hope all goes well from now on. Did you say you were in Yalikavak, where abouts are you?

Reactions: Lin
Our Move
Hi Lin,

Don't worry; everything will be OK. I have lived and worked in Istanbul for 8½ years and the best advice I can give you is not to rush into things in Turkey - take advice and think about what you do. We have just bought a house in Yalikavak for holidays etc so we may see each other one. If I can help with anything, just let me know

Lin

Our Move
Hi guys, thanks again, luckily we have been coming to Yali for 15 years, and have lots of family and friends here, and we have had plenty of time to plan what we are doing with the house. Buts its nice to know that there are folk out there that care.
We are on Tilkicik, near the Cactus Fleur hotel.

Linda

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Our Move
Hi Lin and welcome to the forum. What a nightmare eh?
Good luck and hope you get things sorted out quickly and ready for the winter coming.

Jeannie :Flower:

Harem

I've cliqued
Our Move
Welcome to the forum (and Turkey) Lin. Hopefully everything now will run smoothly.

carolk

R.I.P
Our Move
Hi Lin, yes, been there done that ha ha, thought I would have a heart attack!! It does take time and will eventually come right. I hope it all goes well for you and try not to stress too much! Good luck.

Tess

Our Move
A warm welcome to the forum Lin and every good wish for your new life in Turkey - it will all come together soon! Try not to be too hard on yourself, set realistic targets and never beat yourself up - you will be amazed at how much easier things will feel that way, take care and enjoy, all the challenges will soon be history! Have a lovely life.

hijo

in my own clique
Our Move
..congratulations on your move Lin..we moved a few times in the uk..very stressful ..moving to turkey was absolutly enjoyable..no furniture to move..no stress whatsoever..just jumped on the plane 4 hours later and we arrived and that was 3 years ago .never been back to the uk since ..the missus has a few times..a woman thing ...:122ia:..grandkids..:34:

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Our Move
Hi Lin - a big welcome to TLF and of course to Yalikavak - I am sure you will have a happy life here - can be VERY frustrating at times believe me !
If there is ANY thing I can do to help ( or Ibrahim ) do not hestitate to ask
Was so sorry to hear about your cat but thankfully now getting better - what a horrid thing to happen after the stress of the journey etc - Yes Fulya is great .
Hope your house will soon be a "Home""

Last edited:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Our Move
Hi Lin, welcome to the forum. I hope that you are soon settled in your new home, you have had had a hellish journey, let's hope that soon things will start to fall into place for you all. I'm so glad that your beloved cat recovered, what a nightmare to happen. There are so many people who will give you lots of help on here, Sue (Luckycat) & Ibrahim will give you lots of useful information. Enjoy the forum and ask away.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Our Move
hi and good luck, I have just moved house from gundogan to yali, massively stressful but now almost complete, as i type i have the plumber here, the new door installers, the guy putting marble tops on the balconies and the new driveway being laid, total chaos ! non of them have the proper tools, the ones they have are dangerous - problem yok

may bump into you sometime

martin

Summertime

Golden Girls
Our Move
Hello Lin and welcome to the Forum, dont worry everything will be ok, and then you will rest and have fun.

Lin

Our Move
Hi Sue, thank you for that, much appreciated, and I hope you are feeling much better. x

Latest Posts

Top Bottom