jakebeak

Our dog's fear
Hi there, I wonder if anyone has any good tips for helping our dog overcome his fear. He is frightened of getting into our van to the extent that he just can't bring himself to get in. We've tried a trail of biscuits and a bone to entice him, but he just isn't interested. We want him to feel comfortable with the van. Some months back we did take him on a long trip, rather than leave him tied up all day as he is only young, but since that time he won't get in it. Thanks for your help!

Harem

I've cliqued
Our dog's fear
He must have felt that that trip was so awful that he won't bother doing it again!!!! First tip must be to improve your driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Secondly, if you can get him in, just go for very short trips or even don't go anywhere for a couple of times and gradually build up to something longer as he gets used to it.
Did anything awful happen to him on that first trip?

Gin&Tonic

Our dog's fear
Try leaving the van open and you get in, sit there for a while and see what happens, dont go anywhere, just try this for a few times, maybe with a few treats as well but dont force him. You're going to have to be very patient with him and hopefully he'll get used to the van and be happy in there.

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Our dog's fear
I think you need to force him into the van and take him out. The more you do it the more he will get used to it. Our Sally wasn't a good traveller but she is fine now. Each time we took her out she improved dramatically. SHe knows the journey is fine and the treat is the destination. And don't make a big drama of it and fuss the dog because it will convince it that there IS something to be scared of.

Sorry if this sounds kind of cruel. But the bottom line is that that dog wont realise there is no horrors in the vehicle without experiencing it and experiencing it regularly.

jakebeak

Our dog's fear
Hi, thanks for your replies. He didn't have a bad experience last time. We went to Bodrum with him and it was only when he had to get back in the van at the end of the day he was scared. Our friends bribed him with a sausage in the end! We only took him as we didn't want to leave him for such a long time. In hindsight it was a mistake to go on such a long journey as a first one. He won't let us pick him up and growls if we try. So we're not sure how to proceed really. Any more ideas?

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
Our dog's fear
Our avatar picture is of our dog in his bed which we put in the boot of the car!! During the day we leave the boot open and he spends most of the day snoozing in it (I think hoping that we won't escape without him!). Why not try putting a bed/blanket in the back of the van, putting him on it (maybe even give him his main meal in there?), and then just leave it open - he may then start to associate it with good things???

Even if you have to force him in the end, make sure the first few trips are VERY short, and that he has a fab experience ie a good long walk!!!!!!!

I think what we need is a psychiatrist for dogs - ours may like the car, but if we leave him he bites himself - which is VERY distressing:confused:

Good luck!!!!

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Our dog's fear
How about regularly leaving the car door open, with a blanket familiar to him on the back seat, with a treat?? Maybe a bit of kidology to get him used to accessing it and (possibly) lingering when its not moving, as a starter..

Duh, I have jut read Sonny Jim's reply. -Nice one Jim ;)

Our dog's fear
Try and treat with a few drops of bach rescue remedy in it, and that will calm him down a bit. He then may be happier to attempt getting in. The backs of vans are very noisy, so that may be the problem... not your driving! Have you tried seeing if he is ok getting into a car...

matty

Our dog's fear
Hi,
Do you have a cage in the back of your van so that your dog is secure?..
Or if not! Maybe someone could travel inside the van with him or her, and put a rug or blanket down so your dog does not slip over.

Also when your dog does decide to get into the van, take him on a short journey somewere he or she enjoys going.i.e a good run on the beach... Cheese is a very good reward for dogs.

Good luck Matty

Last edited:

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Our dog's fear
Could you try getting him into the front of the van first so he can see were he's going . Also just sit in the front with him and stroke him from between the eyes all the way to his tail Right along his spine . speak softly .Do not force him . He'll end up being sick . Did you stop frequently on the way to Bodrum for his toilet and a sniff . Rubber Mats is best for the rear of the van so he won't slip . But a crate in the house is much better then when you go out transfer it to the van . At home he'll learn to feel secure in the crate and so will feel safe in it while traveling . My Corgi travels miles and miles in his crate . But if i leave him loose he gets scared and trys to get into drivers seat panting and panting . Please also keep air con on Has what is warm for us is to hot for dogs . ...Diane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom