KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Organic Hypocrisy
Despite all the recent efforts to push "organic products" in the UK, why do so many producers insist on packaging their eggs in plastic containers ? :dizzy:

Discuss. :lol:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Organic Hypocrisy
The supermarkets will tell you that they're using high-grade PET (recycled polyethylene) that can be recycled.

They will also say that local councils need to play a part by seperating these cartons from other clamshell type containers that are made of different plastic.

C

Organic Hypocrisy
I heard that consumers want to see the eggs so the don't have to open the egg cartons, and vendors like them for the same reason-less chance of eggs spilling out onto the floor as customers try to check for cracks; this is in the US though but I should think the reasoning is about the same in the UK.
I'm concerned about organic products in plastic containers also since it's been proven that toxic gasses are released from plastic.
I read an article that says: If the plastic container is marked with a No. 1 on the bottom of the container, then it's very suitable for recycling[e.g. most water bottles] and don't pose much outgassing hazzard. Anything with a No. greaster than a 4 should be tossed-poison the landfills instead of our homes.
I tossed all of my Tupperware-which was hard because the stuff was so expensive-only to realize that the packaging for most organic products is made from plastic and they don't all have a No. on the bottom so you don't know how polluted your products get from being in the container.
I'm glad you brought this subject up because I'm concerned. I hope there are environmental organizations looking into this.
Plastic is cheap and it's put into just about everything.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Organic Hypocrisy
KKOB was referring to organic eggs Crash Tester.

The organic egg cartons are made from 'post consumer plastic' which can be recycled but they must be seperated from other plastics at the recycle stage.

C

Latest Posts

Top Bottom