Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
One smart kid.
The following is an actual question given on a university of Washington mid term chemistry exam. And apparently true...
One smart assed answer I'd say.

The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well :

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting 'Oh my God.'

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+.

Alan.:114mf::3:

Helenm150

One smart kid.
I don't know if it is just me, but are threads becoming more and more "random" - I thought I logged on to Turkish Living Forum - this is relevant - how?

Helenm150

One smart kid.
... so its the Cafe/Back Room to ramble on about absolutely anything - yet its a sub-forum of "Turkish" Living Forum? - OK - enjoy :42:

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
One smart kid.
Hopethe posting of my thread hasn't upset the equilibrium..?? I felt sure I'd posted it in the right place..??

Helenm150

One smart kid.
:hurt:.... Oh you so hurt my feelings - already gone, got something better to do - like watch paint dry ....... zzzzzzzzzzz - no doubt somebody be along in a minute to thank Alan - judging by his previous posts looks like he is a "needy" contributor - maybe nobody listens to him in real life - the article is about religion - not much of a stretch to link to Islam maybe - for me insipid, irrelevant - talking coz you like the sound of your own voice prattle .... nighty night .....:42:

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
One smart kid.
Oh dear oh dear Helen... have i upset you? or is the whole world against you..?
I thought my post here would be well received.. apparently it's in the right place.. but i suppose you cant please everyone. And with regard to any other post of mine..
As i have been reminded myself, we're all entitled to an opinion regardless of the subject..
and as this an open forum. ( It is still isn't it?).. our own views and opinions are open to comment and disagreement from other members... the threads are there for discussion aren't they.?

Helenm150

One smart kid.
..... you know, my Auntie Elsie used to like flock wallpaper but my Uncle Bob hated it - he liked a plain emulsion finish - its been playing on my mind just recently but now I have discovered this sub forum of TLF called Cafe/Backroom where I can prattle on about just anything that comes to my mind (doesn't remotely need to relate to Turkey) - I might just start a thread and get some feedback which way to go ..... Wow, its so good to share life's dilemmas and experiences isn't it?:hug:....

Martyn

One smart kid.
..... you know, my Auntie Elsie used to like flock wallpaper but my Uncle Bob hated it - he liked a plain emulsion finish - its been playing on my mind just recently but now I have discovered this sub forum of TLF called Cafe/Backroom where I can prattle on about just anything that comes to my mind (doesn't remotely need to relate to Turkey) - I might just start a thread and get some feedback which way to go ..... Wow, its so good to share life's dilemmas and experiences isn't it?:hug:....

Good idea Helen, I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback.:faint2:

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
One smart kid.

You never know Helen.. if i like your post i might just give it the thumbs up with a click on the thank you button..

One smart kid.
What the hell?? Pardon the pun!
This thread section is for chilling and talking nonsense about life and the universe isn't it. There is a whole forum about Turkey. It's just funny...
Can't everyone just be nice (ie If you have nothing to add/debate/contribute then don't bother and pop off to another thread).
Some threads in TLF for the last few weeks have been really tetchy and I don't know why, it makes for uncomfortable reading watching people backbiting in print.
Thats my contribution for what it's worth.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
One smart kid.
Thanks Pauline... i really didn't think for one minute that my post original post would get the kind of reaction that it has from Helen or anyone else for that matter... my debate with Helen is over... I'll leave everyone to enjoy the post. If Helen has anything further to add she should feel free to PM me and leave her comments off the thread.

Alan.

Helenm150

One smart kid.
Thanks Pauline... i really didn't think for one minute that my post original post would get the kind of reaction that it has from Helen or anyone else for that matter... my debate with Helen is over... I'll leave everyone to enjoy the post. If Helen has anything further to add she should feel free to PM me and leave her comments off the thread.

Alan.
.... "leave everyone to enjoy the post" ..... who's that then apart from spyrogal, saffie and macfrazz? Apart from them and irishmatelot who is tetchy because your post made me tetchy - and martyn who wants me to start a thread about flock wallpaper - the remaining 10,851 members (excluding myself) don't seem to be too enthralled either .....:42:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom