Olive oil
I’m planning to go to sirence to buy some of their famous olive oul
But are all the olive oils in sirnce genuine and pure
Does anyone know a tried and tested genuine sirnce olive oil brand

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Olive oil
Before settling down in Side 10 years ago, I spent the previous 12 years living & working in Kuşadası. I took friends & customers many times to Şirince to work our way around the Wine Houses to sample their goodies.

Personally, I thought the Olive Oil from Kaplankaya Winery was just brilliant. Not the cheapest of the Wine Houses up there on the hillsde but definately, one of the best. My Turkish Mum-in-Law made her own Olive Oil and it was really good but, both my husband and his mum would savour the taste of Kaplankaya Olive Oil with crusty bread and a salty white cheese.

Now, down here in Side, we have the benefit of a very good, clean Olive Oil that's produced from the Olives taken from my daughter's garden.

Let us know how you go on after having formed your own opinion.
Enjoy the day!

McB

Olive oil
It's very good and positioned at the top end of the market for the bigger merchandising volumes... but for smaller volums there is now a vibrant connosieur segment... which is all about personal preferences...

Mine lie with organic production from trees that are more than 3,000 years old...basically these trees have been there since the dawn of written history, so they are NO LESS THAN 3,000 years old... they are each about 1 to 1.5 meters in diameter.... and there are at least a 500 of them I am guessing

But I also know of two other regions I enjoy pallatably good consistent quality from... in Crete and Kalamata...

The best region in Turkey is widely reputed to be Gemlik... but that preudice dates largely from times before coastal production was popular and easily accessible to the population centre of Istanbul...

Considering that in most western coastal locations de-population for hundreds of years between 400 AD and 1940's left much of the crop to dwindle...

And in the world... Palestine...

SLEEPY

Olive oil
Just about to open a 5L bottle of olive oil that was purchased in the market.
One of these beauties would last us more than 18 months and it never goes off.
Anyone know what the shelf life is on the market oil versus the shop version which I think goes off after 6 to 8 months once its opened.
Screenshot_20221019_185757.jpg

Reactions: MJL

shash

shash
Olive oil
If it has a date of harvesting and turning into oil it should last up to 2 years from that date. Less if you look at the date on shop oil.

enoch

Olive oil
Anyone know what the shelf life is on the market oil versus the shop version which I think goes off after 6 to 8 months once its opened.
View attachment 31327
I think it's to do with which press is it, that oil is not first press by the picture.

Spike

Olive oil
The oil which we have from our own olive trees lasts happily for two years in 5 lıtre glass jars in a dark cupboard. Normally we consume same year or latest in two, but even a three year bottle we couldn't discern any deterioration in taste.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Olive oil
View attachment 31327
We drove back from Akyaka to Yalikavak on the coast and back roads in 2014, we stopped to look at the tom tom map in a farming community and were immediately invited to drink tea with a farmers wife, Linsey true to form had to buy something so she bought a litre of olive oil that had been pressed the Autumn before, I felt relieved she hadn't bought a cow or a donkey or similar, she tells me she still has the remains of the oil now stored in a Gordon's Gin bottle and its as good as the day she bought it.

SLEEPY

Olive oil
Martin that's excatly what has me confused ..we have some market oil in a jar that must 5 years old and still it does not have a bad taste or smell.
Enoch what do mean by 1st press ?

Hilsjw

Olive oil
I didn't know there was a "use by" date/time for olive oil. It's never on commercial bottles, to my knowledge. Sometimes the oil goes cloudy when the oil gets very cold (mostly in the UK. I expect) but doesn't spoil the flavour.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Olive oil
I did some googling this morning and found the following, all results were similar, but apparently
not our personal experience so I will do a taste test later.

MJL

Olive oil
I’ve never had a problem with olive oil “going bad” but would love to get a bottle from the market like you did, it’s extremely expensive now and I only buy it when it’s on offer in the supermarkets, my latest purchase was 299tl for 5 ltrs from migros. But separate it into half and put that bottle in the fridge, it will almost go solid and cloudy, but will extend its life by double. Once at room temperature it will go back to normal

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Olive oil
Our friends have bought land with z grove of olive trees , their village has a press ( for a % of the press ) they promised us a jar of this years press , it will be only partially filtered , can t wait .
Steve

enoch

Olive oil
Martin that's excatly what has me confused ..we have some market oil in a jar that must 5 years old and still it does not have a bad taste or smell.
Enoch what do mean by 1st press ?
First press is as it sounds, when they press the olive for the oil the first press is always the best and darker and the best and the most expensive.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Olive oil
When we lived in a rental in TRNC, villagers picked our olives along with theirs, while we were at work. they all got pressed and we got a few bottles of oil. i just loved the community feel. you really don't get this in the UK anymore.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Olive oil
When we lived in a rental in TRNC, villagers picked our olives along with theirs, while we were at work. they all got pressed and we got a few bottles of oil. i just loved the community feel. you really don't get this in the UK anymore.
You do, someone has a "grow" on and come cultivation they usually give a bag each to the neighbours.

juco

Olive oil
You do, someone has a "grow" on and come cultivation they usually give a bag each to the neighbours.
I get loads of Plums from locals and have just given about 20 kilo of apples to a guy for making cider hopefully I`ll get a couple of bottles and a couple of neighbours I just let come and pick whenever for their apple crumble.. Also in spring several people give away surplus seedlings.
Its all done of facebook.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom