Modgirl

Old fashion food tastes
after reading "Ceemac The Usual Tripe" it got me thinking about food or meals of the past that we would still have for our dinners but the younger generations would never eat, tripe onions potatoes, cabbage & ham ribs with potatoes, or how my own Mum used up the left over mince by poaching an egg into the mince, food was bought daily and there was little or no waste put in the bin, myself I will try most food and dislike very few. any other thoughts on this?:bigkiss:

bebs

Old fashion food tastes
My Mam was from Limerick, and when she went back always brought back packet and tripe ,packet was a type of pudding. I hated it but my husband was always at the table first to be fed -Bebs

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Old fashion food tastes
my dad's bread pudding - lovely , the birds didn;t get any bread in our house.

My dad always had bread and dripping too, not for me that one.

Old fashion food tastes
Love bread and dripping especially Turkey dripping at christmas also bubble and sqeak and faggots and peas on a Saturday night at my nans.

Jane

saffie

Saffie
Old fashion food tastes
Bubble and squeak for me........Mmmmmmmmmmm

Mum used to make food go further as she had 6 kids to feed so we mostly had cheap cuts and little meat but supplemented with potatoes and dumplings. Spam fritters was a favourite as she would buy a quarter pound of thin spam and we would get two each.

Fish cakes on fridays..........and there was always a birthday in our house and toad in the hole was the usual celebratory meal.

saffie

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Old fashion food tastes
Tripe, onions and tatties made with milk for me and then stovies, Mmmmmmmm

Jeannie

hijo

in my own clique
Old fashion food tastes
..corn beef hash and baked beans.. bubble and squeak..and good old steak and kidney pud..and for Modgirl from argyll who started this thread..how about mince and skirlie ..stovies and oatcakes ,cullen skink,and a good old fish pie..yummy..:eek:hwell:

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Old fashion food tastes
..corn beef hash and baked beans.. bubble and squeak..and good old steak and kidney pud..and for Modgirl from argyll who started this thread..how about mince and skirlie ..stovies and oatcakes ,cullen skink,and a good old fish pie..yummy..:eek:hwell:

Now I feel really hungry.

hijo

in my own clique
Old fashion food tastes
... a good irish stew ..or lancashire hotpot ..delish..:heh:

mollag

Kipper restorer
Old fashion food tastes
I baked 16 herring this xmas, i ate 2 and the relatives nicked the rest!--bathcubes :mad2:

Chuffed really but one thing i had forgotten was the cooking pong! it was mingin!

Old fashion food tastes
lovely welsh cawl or broth with suet dumplings, fried cabbage and bacon. İ cant stand tripe though yuk.

Tess

Old fashion food tastes
Thingthong champ is Irish Champ recipe ? All recipes UK

however when I make mine, I peel and steam the potatoes, in a separate saucepan I put in the scallions (spring onions) washed and cut finely, generous knob of butter (good wallop actually) small amount of milk, some salt, pepper and a very generous grinding of black pepper, turn on the saucepan and simmer until your scallions are softened, add a very generous amount of cream, and add chopped grilled smoked bacon. When you add your steamed potatoes mash and mash until creamy.
Delicious, I make this with the Sunday Lunch instead of just ordinary mash, it is lovely as an alternative instead of scallions I add finely chopped red peppers, equally as nice.
Do try Thing thong I want to hear if you liked it.

alison09400

Old fashion food tastes
Tess, I always loved a few slices of corned beef along with my champ.

Must remember and get a bunch of scallions at the market on Tuesday and make a pot ....... haven't made it in ages :bounce:

Tess

Old fashion food tastes
Alison when we first got married my hubby said to me one day, how about champ for tea, I said no probs I'll make champ. I made the champ, and served it up. Hubby said where's the meat, I said what meat you wanted champ. When I was growing up if it was champ for tea, that was it - only champ. He said when my Mum makes champ we have sausages, bacon and veg roll with it LOL!!!!! First I had heard of it LOL!!! He was devastated all he got was a plate of champ.
That's a townie for you, posh habits LOL!!!!

I love Corned Beef too, love corned beef and brown sauce sandwiches on a big couple of rounds of plain loaf and good Dromona Butter!!!
Any wonder I say does my bum look big in this.

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Old fashion food tastes
whats stovies or champ?

Boil a big load of tatties and chopped up onions in a pot of salted water.
When par boiled, drain the water.
Open up a can of corned beef, and chop onto bits.
Put the c/beef into the pot with the tatties and onions.
Sprinkle in about 3/4 oxo cubes or better still , beef dripping, pepper and then just mix it all in with a tattie masher, voila, STOVIES.

Jeannie

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Old fashion food tastes
When it comes to food theres a North South Divide .. I've found some folk in the south who think Broth and stew are the same thing .. But I used to love pigs feet and bubble and squeek we allways had shin of beef for the stew and ox tail .. Mum and dad had sheeps heads ..Not me !! But my favorite thing was a big potato placed in the ashpan of the fire to cook coal embers falling on to it ..No other way of cooking them gives you that same flavour with a dollop of butter yummy .....Diane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom