Peregrine

OK for hand luggage?
if I was travelling with baggage I was going to put in the hold I wouldnt give it a second thought - in the hold!

why try to lug something like that around in your hand luggage if you dont have to - use the space for duty free and chocs!!

anyway, it looks like it will keep you warm this winter

Tess

OK for hand luggage?
Hi, I worked in Belfast International at a time and a heated throw would have been fine going through security. It may be selected at the search point and undergo a test because it is an electrical item, other than that you should be okay. Would agree with Perry however why carry if you don't have to, save all your space for Duty Free LOL!!!!

Helenm150

OK for hand luggage?
she emailed me to ask if it will be possible to carry the throw as hand luggage just in case her hold luggage is up to the maximum weight limit .....

moortenerife

moortenerife
OK for hand luggage?
hi, i have taken a thick quilted throw as hand luggage before, however if you still have some kilos to spare in the suitcase i would advise putting it in one of those bags where you suck all the air out and then have it in the hold therefore using the hand luggage allowance for other things. when i take items such as pictures, table lamps etc i ask them if i can put them in the hold, up to now i havent been charged any extra for this. when i go out in two weeks time i am taking a microwave in a holdall, it weighs just over 15kg so i will have 5 kg left which should just be enough for my husbands clothes. i dont think i could manage with 5kg for all my stuff, my shoes will probably weigh that much, lol. has anyone taken a microwave before, and if so how did you take it?

Peregrine

OK for hand luggage?
she emailed me to ask if it will be possible to carry the throw as hand luggage just in case her hold luggage is up to the maximum weight limit .....

ah, silly me. I forgot that your friend is a she. Yep, that case will be full to its 20kg limit (3 day visit = 4 to 5 outfits; 7 day visit = 10 t0 12 outfits with matching accessories, its a sort of exponential thing we men dont understand)

If it was me I'd still try to fit it in the suitcase rather than the bother of having it as hand luggage. I have a low-weight, easy-time philosophy these days and try to take as little as possible

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
OK for hand luggage?
moortenerife, why are you bringing out a microwave there are plenty here to choose from it seems like a waste of luggage allowance to me, i bought a really cheap one when we first had our apartment 7 years ago and it is still going strong

moortenerife

moortenerife
OK for hand luggage?
when we went looking for a microwave in turkey they were about £60 for one of the smallest cheapest looking microwaves imaginable. we have bought a retro looking mint green microwave which will look really nice in our kitchen there which has white units, black granite worktops, black mosaic tiling and mint green walls. we got it half price in the sales and it was still a lot cheaper than we would have paid over there. i know we probably would have eventually found something suitable out there but i really liked the look of the one i am taking over so think its probably worth it.

parrot

OK for hand luggage?
Depends on who she is travelling with if it's Easyjet they don't have a weight limit for hand luggage but you must be able to lift it unaided into the overhead and your bag is a certain size.A sensible amount of duty frees may also be taken.

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
OK for hand luggage?
moortenerife, oh that sounds lovely.........as does your kitchen, ok I'll keep my beak out in future. lol !!

OK for hand luggage?
In addition to a suitcase each & hand luggage We brought an electric Halogen oven in its original box & the girl on check in told us to take it to a seperate point ( where golf clubs etc are taken) We were asked no questions and charged no extra. That was in May this year with Onur air from Newcastle.

Helenm150

OK for hand luggage?
She didn't say which airline - my concern regarding whether she can put it in her hand luggage is that it is an electrical item - it weighs 4kg ......

Tess

OK for hand luggage?
Helen electric items are fine, they may just undergo a necessary and routine security test, swab rubbed over the elec cable,swabbed and tested in a machine, routine test called an NSM. If for example someone passed through security and they had lots of elec items, hairdryer, ghd's, cameras, laptop, lots of leads and connections etc etc that would be a prime bag to be tested, under x ray a bag crammed with elec items is so hard to read, so may go through the routine test. I honestly do not think your friend will have any trouble whatsoever with you heated throw. It is a blanket really with just an elec cable worst case scenario is it is searched and the cable undergos this swab test, I would be doubtful if it was even chosen. It does not come under the items disallowed in hand baggage. It is not too heavy and it will fit very easily it the box which measures bag sizes, don't be worried Helen. If need be go onto the Department For Transport website and you will see what is and what is not allowed through security and acceptable in the cabin of an aircraft.

Link added for you to Department for Transport, hope this helps.
Air travel hand baggage rules : Directgov - Travel and transport

If needed your friend can also check it in seperately, the check in girl will weigh it and if it is not over your friends allowance, (may incur a charge as excess, but worth it to get it over to you), you would then take it to the BX check in which is excess and awkward shaped baggage with your boarding pass and it will go through there and be married up with the luggage for your flight, happens all the time. Tell her to wrap it up well with its own luggage label and would save her carrying it. Another option to consider!!! Happens all the time, it is just so it does not get stuck on the conveyor going up to be x rayed hence the outsize baggage section. I put pictures and lots of things through this section many times. Worth it to get with you what you want.

Last edited:

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
OK for hand luggage?
hi, i have taken a thick quilted throw as hand luggage before, however if you still have some kilos to spare in the suitcase i would advise putting it in one of those bags where you suck all the air out and then have it in the hold therefore using the hand luggage allowance for other things. when i take items such as pictures, table lamps etc i ask them if i can put them in the hold, up to now i havent been charged any extra for this. when i go out in two weeks time i am taking a microwave in a holdall, it weighs just over 15kg so i will have 5 kg left which should just be enough for my husbands clothes. i dont think i could manage with 5kg for all my stuff, my shoes will probably weigh that much, lol. has anyone taken a microwave before, and if so how did you take it?

Moortenerife - I can relate to you taking a microwave out with you (the description you give in your other post makes you kitchen sound like it should be in a photoshoot for a decorating/interiors magazine). I am always picking up bits & pieces for my place then storing them in my garage much to the amusement of family and friends. At least it keeps me off the streets and occupied until my next trip. I do wonder if all this shopping and bargin hunting will end up a false economy if I end up getting it wrong and have to pay excess baggage.
Carol

moortenerife

moortenerife
OK for hand luggage?
my husband has been home for the weekend as he works away, he was not at all impressed when i showed him the holdall with the microwave in and told him he had less than 5 kilo of space for his clothes, and on top of that he has to fly there on his own as we are all going for two weeks and he is only going for one lol at least he will have peace and quiet, he is one of those people that falls asleep before the plane has even taken off.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom