Acamas

Just a member
Oil slick heads for Turkey
From today's Sunday Times:

Directions: Oil slick bound for Turkey

HOLIDAY BEACHES in Cyprus and Turkey are at risk from an oil slick that is being described by Greenpeace as the “worst environmental disaster ever experienced in the Mediterranean”.

As much as 35,000 tonnes of oil has spilt into the sea after the Israelis bombed a Beirut power station on July 15. The Lebanese environment minister, Yacoub al-Sarraf, says the pollution will have “terrible consequences, not only for our own country but for all the countries of the eastern Mediterranean”.

How much more oil may yet leak into the sea from the power station is unknown. Tanks above ground are still burning, and tens of thousands of tonnes remain in fractured underground reservoirs just yards from the sea.

The Lebanese beaches, which are breeding grounds for green turtles, are now covered in a deadly black sludge, and the Israeli blockade has prevented clean-up crews from containing the spill.

Fouad Hamdan, director of Friends of the Earth Europe, told The Sunday Times that the slick was now heading for the beaches of southern Turkey: “Satellite photos show that the spill has already crept halfway up the Syrian coast, and could wash up on Turkish beaches as early as next week. When it will hit Cyprus is all a matter of wind.”

Last edited:

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
Heheeee Tony,
Looks like our Messiah Bryan could be out of a job soon...... :lol: :lol: Hezbollah Factor is it?

mkc

tonytg

Wishing on a star
madturkishcow said:
Heheeee Tony,
Looks like our Messiah Bryan could be out of a job soon...... :lol: :lol: Hezbollah Factor is it?

mkc

Where is the Bryan (I'm only the understudy!!!!) - what have you done with the master ? :lol: :lol:

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
Hi Tony :lol:
Messiah is currently residing at his delux villa in either Bodders or Tinky. The guy has had a rough time lately and is basically chilling. I am sure he will be back sooner or later, so make the most of it while you can!!! :lol:

Starman has been nothing on any of the news channels here in the Uk regarding this oil slick.

mkc

If it hit some British seaside resorts I've visited you probably wouldn't notice any difference!

...only kidding!

jcrian

There was quite a bit about it on the BBC news website

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH counts the environmental cost of the conflict, by showing a satellite image of an oil slick that's spreading northwards along the Lebanese coastline after Israel bombed an oil depot south of Beirut. It reports that a slick of twelve-thousand tons is stretching seventy miles - with experts warning the spill might reach the beaches of Turkey, Cyprus and Greece. The paper also claims that an international response is being hampered by Israel's refusal to provide crucial aerial photographs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5251390.stm

The Mediterranean is facing an "environmental catastrophe" as millions of gallons of oil gushes from a Lebanese storage depot struck by Israeli warplanes.

A Lebanese man collects dead fish on a Beirut beach

Experts from the United Nations and other international institutions warned yesterday that the slick could spread to the beaches of Turkey, Cyprus and Greece, depending on wind direction and speed.

More than 12,000 tons of oil have already spewed into the sea since Israel bombed the depot in Jiyeh, 15 miles south of Beirut, three weeks ago. In the past two days the slick has spread northwards. By last night it stretched along 70 miles of the Lebanese coastline and had reached Syrian waters.

Not since Saddam Hussein deliberately pumped crude oil into the Persian Gulf in 1991 has an act of war caused so devastating a maritime ecological crisis.

Nor have the still smouldering storage containers at Jiyeh yet spent their fuel. If the conflict prevents the flow from being stemmed soon, Lebanese environmentalists warn that the spill could reach almost 30,000 tons - nearly as much oil as spewed out of the Exxon Valdez when it struck a reef off Alaska in 1989.

"An environmental catastrophe is threatening the Mediterranean region," said Paul Misfud, a co-ordinator of the Mediterranean Action Plan, a UN body monitoring the maritime ecology.

The sludge, thick and foul-smelling, stretches along the beach at Beirut towards the northern horizon. Two seagulls, their white feathers turned a gooey black, yesterday hopped around each other, desperately trying to raise their coated wings. Nearby a fish flapped feebly in the poisoned mire and died.

Overshadowed by the humanitarian cost of the war on the civilians of Lebanon and Israel, the oil spill has all but been ignored.

A clean-up is desperately needed. Yet because of an Israeli naval blockade of Lebanon, work cannot begin until a ceasefire is in place.

"Three weeks have passed in which there has been no remedial action whatsoever," said Achim Steiner, the executive director of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP).

"The tragic part of this is that it is an environmental disaster that compounds the humanitarian crisis. Lebanon is a country that depends on tourism and this will make it even more difficult to recover."

Experts trying to map out what the international response to the disaster should be have been hampered by the dearth of information available.

Although satellite images have shown how fast the slick is spreading, aerial photographs are even more important. Only the Israeli air force has taken such pictures.

Requests to hand them over have been ignored, UN sources say, in contravention of Israel's international obligations as a signatory to the convention that governs ecological affairs in the Mediterranean.

In the meantime, the Lebanese government says it has been trying to do what it can, carrying out toxicity tests on fish and beginning a clean-up with whatever rudimentary materials are available.

Lebanon is known as an ecological hot spot, an area of outstanding maritime biodiversity. There are particular fears for the future of several endangered species of turtle that breed on Lebanon's beaches.

At this time of year, hatchlings are emerging from eggs and trying to make the fraught journey back into the sea.

Ghada Mitri, the Lebanese environment ministry's co-ordinator for the oil spill, predicted that even by an optimistic estimate, the clean-up will take at least a year.

The future is also looking gloomy for Lebanon's holiday industry.

"Even if there is a ceasefire, I am ruined," said Elie Geagea, the proprietor of a beach resort south of Beirut. "The Israelis don't need to kill me with bombs. They have killed me with this oil."

ade

It was in todays Daily Telegraph. It called the Med, The Black Sea and said depending on wind direction etc it could affect Cyprus and Turkish beaches. It has wrecked the Lebanon tourist industry.

starman

no, they just destroyed a country by using terrorist tactics but get away with it.

Acamas

Just a member
Oil slick report - link

starman said:
Any chance of the link from where the info came from?

Yes, Starman - here is a link to where I got the original article beginning this thread (last week Sunday Times):

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-2298836,00.html

Acamas

Just a member
Erratum

starman said:
no, they just destroyed a country by using terrorist tactics but get away with it.

You must be talking about the Hezbollah...

starman

Hezbollah and the IDF! They are both terrorists going around killing and terrorising random innocent civillians with the IDF doing it better.

RIK

I visited Beirut for the first time about 4 years ago. What a wonderful City.The City Council had done wonders to repair the previous damage and, I suspect most of that Now lies in ruins.Along Side a great number of innocent Lebonese cilvilians.I do not support any terrorist groups but must say on this occasion Isreal has got it wrong.

Ian

ade

ade said:
It has wrecked the Lebanon tourist industry.

Sorry I should have added a LOL after that comment. It was meant to be facetious. Exactly my point that the Isrealis have wrecked it already so an oil slick cant make things much worse.
Nice to see nothings changed and the French have cocked up the resolution for peace.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom