Paz48

Oil filled radiators wanted
Hi, me and my family are staying at our place in Gumusluk - Aktaz Evleri - over Christmas/New Year 2011/2012. We have never visited Turkey in the winter so we do not have any heating at our place. Does anyone have an oil filled radiator for sale or does anyone know the best place to purchase one or two! Not sure if visiting in winter will become a regular thing so dont really want to spend a lot of money on something that wont get used very often! many thanks Paula :flame:

dalyansteve

The house must have some form of heating either an open fire or airconditioning, some people either forget or do not realise that aircon heats as well as it cools. I do like oil filled radiators but would be a bit suspicious of 2 nd hand ones unless they are very like new.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
The big supermarkets and electric shops will stock them at the end of the summer. They are cheap, so don´t run the risk with 2nd hand.

Ian

captain

Haven't you got air conditioning? Probably the cheapest short term way to heat in the wintertime.
Doug

oldfogy

Just passing through
Not sure if visiting in winter will become a regular thing so dont really want to spend a lot of money on something that wont get used very often! many thanks Paula :flame:
Not wanting to go too far OT, but what's the weather like in your area during the winter?

Obviously the question may also help the OP to decide what and how much heating to purchase.

val2661

I have oil filled radiators with fan attachment which are ok for about 6 foot surrounding the radiator, but you get cold areas in the room. Last year I decided to use my aircon as heating and it was the most comfortable, warm Winter I had had and the electricity bill was no more expensive than when I was economising with the radiators.

Val

kibris

I used my aircon for heating last winter and was -pleasantly surprised by the bill --upstairs in my bedroom i use a 50lira convector bought from koctas --it has a timer but as i sleep funny hours i just keep it on on a low setting 24-7 in the colder weather and it keeps the bedroom just nice and i also use an electric blanket as a lot of people do who live here all year round---i dont have aircon in any of my bedrooms and for sleeping i need something silent--some of the aircons make a slight noise which i would find offputing when trying to sleep--they also sell the electric panel type heaters here which i wouldnt mind trying next winter --they are more expensive to buy than the convectors at around 150 lira--think theyre called eco panels

Last edited:
We bought the eco panel heaters 3 yrs ago fine for the bathroom and the bed rooms were not cold still needed the electric blankets in the worst off the winter, but the eco heaters were very expensive to run so not eco at all, Jim

DRACEY

Hi, me and my family are staying at our place in Gumusluk - Aktaz Evleri - over Christmas/New Year 2011/2012. We have never visited Turkey in the winter so we do not have any heating at our place. Does anyone have an oil filled radiator for sale or does anyone know the best place to purchase one or two! Not sure if visiting in winter will become a regular thing so dont really want to spend a lot of money on something that wont get used very often! many thanks Paula :flame:
We bought a large 2.4kw Radiant heater last winter and mounted it above the living room door. It gives off heat quickly and warms the room more quickly we then turn it off after about 30 minutes or so and have a 2.5 kw convector radiator for background heat.
We have a large air con unit in the room but it doesn't seem up to the job and the background hum irritates.
As has already been said, in late September - early October the supermarkets will all have electric fires & heaters in stock and a 3 bar 3kw fire will only be around £25 so not worth buying second hand.

oldfogy

Just passing through
Oil filled radiators are generally ok for background or secondary heat but not for main heating as the heat only radiates in a small area around the actual heater then simply goes up in the air, what is really needed are fan heaters as they will blow the heat in your direction before being lost into the room.
Obviously using the thermostat wisely is the key to not being horribly surprised when the electric bill arrives.

One form of heating I would avoid if possible are the gas bottle heaters, simply because they are a major cause of creating damp, basically each bottle of gas contains roughly the equivalent to half a bottle of water which when in use is then being pushed into the room.

Paz48

Many thanks for all the advice - we do have one fan heater and we have aircon in all rooms but I thought they would be very expensive to run and therefore thought oil filled radiators would be better. As we are only there for one week I think we will survive with air-con and the the fan heater and perhaps only buy one oil radiator to take the chill off the background.
What a great place to get excellent info....... thx again Paula

Latest Posts

Top Bottom