mollag

Kipper restorer
Novelty Acts [no, not that sort Des]
Just been messing on another thread and i drifted onto one of my favorite "acts" from yesteryear,
Prof Stanley Unwin. :thumbup:
First caught him in "Carry on regardless" and enjoyed his Gobbledegook thereafter.

Anyone got any novelty acts from the past they enjoyed?
There just seems to be odd singers and boy/girl bands about these days, where oh where are the new Billy Dainties i ask myself. :hurt:

kibris

ı loved hylda baker and cynthıa and the guy who dıd the-- Over the garden wall-- sketch

mollag

Kipper restorer
Another favorite when i was a nipper, The Moreton Fraser Harmonica Gang.

They treated that wee man so badly :33:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXlZXOfmQcw]Morton Fraser's Harmonica Gang. - YouTube[/ame]

kibris

could you call THE CRANKIES a novelty act? or the CHUCKLE BROTHERS? I cant watch them they make my teeth ache!

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Ted Heath and Mary Whithouse , the unsha99ed and the unsha99able.

What a duo.

Steve.

mollag

Kipper restorer
Some beauts here, love the big lad on the xylamaphoneium! :15:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRUKjWZ47SI]British Variety Theatre - YouTube[/ame]

macfrazz

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8IbvVTXOIo&feature=related]Bob Blackman AKA The Tray sings Muletrain - YouTube[/ame]

oh how I love this- and had forgotten all about Bob Blackman til i saw this thread.

Maisie

Stanley Unwin was brilliant! He did an advert for beer once. The only bit I remember is that he said it was " the best pickit in a brewflade". Here is some information about him.

Young Stan, Professor Stan as he would later be knowed, was bordy long far awow when our worldee was fresh in univerbs in the Southland of Africay in nineteen hundry and eleven. Followy the most unfortumode fallollop and death of his fatherly he did trotty trotty all back to England, it's beauty garden in nineteen hundry and fourteen with his motherly.

Young Stan's childerhode was one of deep suffery, not only with the death of his fatherly but with the death of his older brotherly Oswald, of apendicitis with the insuffishy agey only eight yeards, O dear.

In nineteen hundry and nineteen young Stan was sendit to the National Childers Home at the agey only eight. When the time came to leavit the childers home he was sendit to Gibb's Nauticold Trainit School in Wales where he obtainit a GPO Wireless Operaters Certificade of the first class.

Adulthode
After leaving nauticold trainit Stan spendit many years aworky in the electronicage industrode before he was askit to joinit the Beebeesee as an electonicage engineer. After four more yeards he was askit to joinit the War Reporters Unit at Portsmouth from where he was sendit over and across to France and Italy to make reporty on the fine and victorial doings of the Allied what beed over there.

Upon returny home to these holy isloads of Great Britain, he took to a job of mobile recordy engineerage which involvy him in a varietode of work includy the first Down Your Way programme with Richard Dimbleby and coverede of the 1947 Royal Tour of the Southland of Africay.

Unwinese
The inspirale for the developmendy of Unwinese did come from many many sourcey. The firlst being the expressimode of his motherly that she had "falolloped' in front of a tram and grazed her 'kneeclappers", after young Stan made quibblode and questy that fallollop be nockers a proper verby of the fundermold of the Basic Engly Twentyfido, she did answerforth that it must be one, otherwide she could not be say'd of it. He beed also inspirode by the workings of Lewis Carroll and nunsends poet Edward Lear.

Unwin developode his talend for distorty corruptatious of the Basic Engly Twentyfido while telly once upon a polly titos to the childers of his own at bedley time in the evelode, indeedy ho. He will be remembold for his outstandifold contribode to the world of comedode, languid and musicold. Deep joy.

Much more of this on the website I pinched this from! Whilst I can hear him saying all this, it is not as good to read it. I think it is incredibly clever and wish I could mangle the English language like he could. He died in 2002.

Maisie

mollag

Kipper restorer
Deep joy in the belly lode four the insense treasure of your post lasting
Congrabulations

Oh yes and "the tray", what can you say, it made him a living and made us laugh, it dont get better that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom