Marc

NOTICE: Bar Openings in Akbuk
Theres another thread running which mentions wanting new openings but I thought I'd drop a new thread which indicates official openings of existing places and new openings of others that I have heared of.

April 1st (Saturday) JOKERS BAR - over looking the marina, I think that they will only open on weekends until June when the Turkish contingency descend on Akbuk and swell its population from 4,000 to 40,000, I have been told that there are a number of busses being laid on for this event from Altinkum and Didim.

April 15th DERBY HOTEL - Opening its brand new 300ft Boardwalk and Pontoon bar (Snake bar I think they said it would be called) This new addition infront of the Derby hotel already looks impressive and its no where near finished. The Derby remains open all year around and I was there last night for the first time this season and found it very busy with lots of brits in it. Birgul the bar/entertainment manageress used to work in Silkroad and is also looking into having Sky TV which as it happens will be a first for Akbuk!!

There are about 3 other NEW bars/restaraunts that will open this season one is right on the Marina and used to be a Cafe but has had Major renovation. and the others along the front stretching from Silkroad to Liberty bar.

Thats all for today folks.

Take care

Marc

Last edited:

chris

Marc,
Thanks for all the info cant wait for my next bottle of effes.
Cheers,
Chris

Marc

Derby did not open the New pontoon bar and Swimming pool and they are now saying it will be open for the 1st May.

My Wife went there last night with some friends and had some problems that I have experienced in other restauraunts in both Akbuk and Altinkum.

No menus readily available with prices on, food brought ad-hoc to the table, Bread yes I accept but Salad and Meze? both of which were charged for. The salad by the way was 6ytl when the wife eventually got a menu it was displaid as 3ytl hmmmmm.

They also have a trick with the Beer wherby they give you a glass (330ml) however the bottle is 500ml hmmm where does the rest go? into someone elses glass if you dont ask for it. Luckily I had told her about this problem when I went down there a few weeks ago so she asked for the Bottle. When the bill came they tried to charge her 4ytl for a bottle, again the menu said 3ytl.

They Gave myself and a friend some cards to give to out British friends, we are going down tomorrow to give them back and speak with the management as there is no way I could recommend a place that behaves in such a way. Luckily for me when I go down with friends there is no problem because they know i'll question them, but the place is packed with brits coming over to buy in Akbuk (as its about the only hotel open) and the question has to be raised what are they being charged? (me being tactful).

Derby Hotel is a lovely place the staff are pleasant and it has great facilities and surroundings but the pricing structure is not well displayed and they obviously change it to suit the customer. They eventually reduced the wife and her friends bill from 64ytl to 46ytl when they found out they lived over here and were connected to myself and fellow ozcelik resident.

I must add that this isnt the only place this has happened so just a reminder to take a look at the menu before you order.

Take care - kende ne iyi bak (im sure its spelt wrong but does mean take care)

Marc

Deby pool is now open and they are chargeing 5ytl per person to use the pool. It was free last year but this year they are chargeing all non-residents who go there and use the pool whilst spending 90ytl throughout the day on food and drink ;-)

juco

Thats a pity about the Derby as we both liked that place and the staff, and were planning to use the pool and have some meals in October as its just over the road from us, I will just give it a miss now and find somewhere else.

Marc

Womble, There are a host of new establishments opening up and the centre of akbuk will of doubled in size in relation to retail/bar/resteraunt space since last year, no real news as yet other than what I had posted about a month ago.

Juco, I think they will eventually cave in - reckon that if people kick up a fuss rather than abandoning them they will just drop it. It worked for us weve been there twice more since and they have on both occassions dropped the charge. lets face it if you take your own drink and sandwiches then fair enough but if you are splashing out on their stuff then you shouldnt have to pay!

juco

Marc you are more than likely correct, its just me getting fed up having to fight my corner all the time with these places, I was out in altinkum at a restuarant the other week and they overcharged by 40 TL Ok I got my money back and some free coffee but I wont go back even thought the meal was excellent. I used to think 3 strikes and you are out, now its one strike and I am finished with you.
There is just too much of this going on now and I am not prepared to give them a second chance, not any longer. Its a case of treat me properly or not at all.

Juco

Latest Posts

Top Bottom