mintyk

Note book and installing camera ect:
Hi I am in Brum at the mo and considering buying a small notebook. There is no disc drive on them soooo,,, how would I install the likes of my camera, printer ect:

LezliG

Hi I am in Brum at the mo and considering buying a small notebook. There is no disc drive on them soooo,,, how would I install the likes of my camera, printer ect:

I've just bought one, after a lot of investigating! I went for one with Windows XP - I don't think they do notebooks with Vista (at least I couldn't find one in my price range). They were either Lunux or XP. As for installing cameras etc. to do this from a disc you would need to buy an extenal disc drive (I think - I'm sure someone with more computer knowledge will come along and correct me!). I usually download my pics by using a card reader and don't connect my camera directly to the pc.

Lesley

Martyn

I did look at buying a netbook a while ago but for the reasons you say I decided not to. It was nice and small for transporting around but there are limitations such as storage, cd installation etc. Yes you can buy the externals but it all adds up. Also on the very small screens websites can be difficult to view.

mintyk

Thanks folks. I needed a lighter one as I have had mine a few years now and it weighs a ton,, well feels like it when it is my hand luggage.

Wardentree

Aktas Gumusluk/Spalding
I got a Lenovo s10e to take to turkey and in well impressed with it
i got the extra big battery and it last 6 hours and i fiilled it with bbc iplayer
and ch4 stuff, then plugged it in to the 32" lcd and it was brill

Martin.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
I use an Acer One , 9 inch screen, Linux Linpus Lite, 8 gb ssd h/d, 2 16gb ssd cards, one merged as main memory, one as home backup. Works a treat, lots of hand holding on the Acer one website, loads of help on Macles, can be carried in a coat pocket or a small manbag or handbag. Boots in 15 seconds, picks up wifi / wireless in another 5 secs. Laughing.

Ps not much cop for latest games but will do everything else.

Regards, Steve.

catweazle

also you can copy the intalation cd to a memory stick on another pc and the instal from the memory stick on the netbook

Mushroom

I am currently looking at an Acer with 160GB hard drive, 1.6 mhz processor and 1GB RAM, with XP and weighing 1Kgs for about £230.

Any advice please - like for starters are Acer any good?

I don't profess to understand all the spec but basically I wanted something which is quick enough and has plenty of hard disk - kids put all sorts on !

I am using a Netbook right now. Advent 4211 with XP and Intel Atom processor and 1024mb ddr2 and 80gb hard drive. I download programmes off web or transfer them off my desktop pc using my usb stick. I love my netbook and take it everywhere. Has webcam and blue tooth and wireless....Cost me £260...mine is 1.6mhz and it is abit slow sometimes....I would try and get one which is say 2....but mine is ok just for surfing .

Rach

Last edited:

Martyn

I am currently looking at an Acer with 160GB hard drive, 1.6 mhz processor and 1GB RAM, with XP and weighing 1Kgs for about £230.

Any advice please - like for starters are Acer any good?

I don't profess to understand all the spec but basically I wanted something which is quick enough and has plenty of hard disk - kids put all sorts on !

I would stick in 2 gig of ram to start with, your OS will always find a use for it and it's inexpensive. Sometimes if you get 1 gig they use all the slots so when you come to upgrade to 2 gig you have to effectively throw away the memory that is in there. Buy an external usb drive for main storage of music, photos etc then your machine space will be fine. Also use the external drive as backup for data that is on the machine itself. Not sure about the Acer make itself, I have used various laptops from Dell, Futjisu Siemens to my current Sony Vaio and Macbook.

Last edited:

dalyansteve

I have 3 Acer laptops ranging from 5years to now all are excellent and have had no problems, I also looked at netbooks but elliminated them for all the reasons previously mentioned. There is a 12.1 inch acer laptop available from Tesco online, 2 years ago this would have cost around £600 and is now only £379 a bargain, with everything you could possibly need or want.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom