helen meek

not allowed to rent our house
Hi
We bought our house in gumusluk in 2004. Have rented it once or twice a year to cover management fees. However last year there was a minor problem with one house. It was blown totally out of proportion. At this years agm it was voted that no rentals are allowed for one year. It is a small complex 20 houses and four european house owners. We are outvoted on every issue. however one turkish house owner has a long term tenent who has rented for 3/4 years. Can you make such a rule if one house has a tenent in situ. Has anyone got any experience on this matter. Helen

jane2005

Can't get enough
To be honest I think the vote went the right way. It sounds as though your site is a more residential one. My house is on a residential site with people living there 12 months of the year, so it's not a holiday place. There are a few houses on the site that do get rented out to holiday makers, who do treat the place like a hotel, screaming and shouting at the pool, coming back from nights out at 4am, forgetting people do live there. I am not blaming the holiday makers, afterall they are there for 2 weeks to have a good time, but it can get annoying having them go past your bedroom at 4am in the morning singing drunkly. Long term rentals are completely different to holiday lets. It really got the backs up of a lot of residents living on my site and rightly so. Sorry, but that's just my opinion. There are many sites in Turkey where this behaviour is acceptable but it should not be accepted on sites which are homes and not just holiday places.

CJD

Is it not up to you what you do with your property?

Not if you buy on a sitsei you have to abide by the site rules, might be worth anyone considering this to ask for a copy of the rules first

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Hi
Have rented it once or twice a year to cover management fees. However last year there was a minor problem with one house. It was blown totally out of proportion.

What happened to get so many people upset enough to change the rules?

Ian

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Sitesi is same as a complex, a collection of properties. Co-operative (in this case) is a collection of people who decide to collectively buy and build a sitesi, the co-operative is usually disbanded after the project is completed.

A complex is usually what developers call their projects, whereas a Sitesi is what the Turkish call their co-operative created project.

alison09400

So the same thing could happen to anyone buying into any complex, sitsei or cooperative if the majority elects that to happen?

Complex is just the english word for Sitesi. Every one on a complex/sitesi or co-operative must abide by the rules made at each AGM.

Peregrine

Sitesi is same as a complex, a collection of properties. Co-operative (in this case) is a collection of people who decide to collectively buy and build a sitesi, the co-operative is usually disbanded after the project is completed.

A complex is usually what developers call their projects, whereas a Sitesi is what the Turkish call their co-operative created project.

so in simple terms a sitesi ia the same as a complex or an estate

A sitesi can be a co-operative or not, thats not the test (you can be on a sitesi but not in a co-op)

The Co-op is a method of building an estate (sitesi) over a period of time that allows the members to contribute monthly to the creation of the common parts, pay for security and other services etc. Its a fairly long term project but allows an affordable entry into property ownership

helen meek

From what I know whatever is decided at an agm is the rule. Agm rules can change every year so comple or site rules can change each year .helen

Our house is on a holiday complex of 20 houses. One person rents all year around. So how can a agm decide on no rentals of there is already a person renting is that not hpocritical. ie one turkish owner can rent but no one else can rent. It is a quiet area that attracts quiet mature people not noisy crowds. It is not the type of resort to go to to party. I cannot understanad one rule for some but not for others. helen

The turkish seem to have a different view on renting. They do not want strangers on their complex. One guy comes once a year to the complex stays for a week etc and does not want renters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guz1

Hi Helen,

Maybe the rule prohibits holiday lets rather than long term rentals.

captain

last year there was a minor problem with one house. It was blown totally out of proportion. Helen

Hey Helen,
You haven't said what this "minor problem" was.
A minor problem to one person might be a major problem to another. Have they voted to stop all rentals or just holiday lets?
It's an unfortunate fact that some holidaymakers appear to think they can behave however they like when on holiday - maybe it was something to do with that??

Doug
:confused::confused::confused:

teresa

Free Thinker
Helen, we had a similar situation last AGM on our fairly small site (31) although the rule was introduced to get rid of a troublesome Turkish tenant and the short term lets were allowed to continue.

Our site is mainly Turkish and they can do whatever they wish at the AGM because the majority rules - and that is democracy at work LOL. In this instance I was very happy to see the person booted off site.

I do agree with Captain that a minor incident to one can be major to another and the incident does seem to have upset a few in order to get this rule passed. If it has been blown up, which is quite possible, why not use this year to mend a few bridges and get someone with Turkish Language skills (I am assuming you do not have them, sorry) to try to sort out the issues and hopefully get the ruling changed at the next AGM. Perhaps the person who rented out the "offending" house could be involved. Maybe a letter to the chairman in Turkish setting out your concerns/feelings if you are only here for a short time.

I would like to say that there are only 7 foreign owned houses on our site and we can be out voted on anything but do not assume that all the Turkish are together on everything. There are lots of intrigues and whispered secrets on our site and I am getting to know who does not get on with someone else. Fortunately as my Turkish is limited I have no idea what it is all about and I can get on with everyone.

My neighbours can be very petty when they want (it seems to me anyway) and also very reasonable - as long as I do everything they say LOL.

Good luck to you

helen meek

Hi thank you for your reply. What has happened is the chairperson has the majority of votes. A lot of turkish people give him their proxy votes. They do not turn up to the agm meeting in istanbul every year.

This year we sent two english speaking neighbours give them our vote. We also had our own turkish translator. We had a total of 4 votes. Two other owners came. total of 6. Then the chairperson had proxy votes of 14. There are 20 houses.So we really did not have a vote.

The chairperson is very security obsessed. Replacing large gates with original gates that still functioned. He keeps mentioning madelaine and our children.

There were two rentals last year that caused a lot of trouble. The renters were not the problem. One turkish owner who rented will not pay his dues. So he is been taking to court because of this we are all been punished.

The renters were not allowed use the pool because the owner did not pay for repairs. I felt so sorry for them they had kids etc. I did not have a problem with them using the pool as the case is with lawyers.

It got very childish. They were strict muslim family from england who were not allowed swim in their special swiming wear. ie management said it would dirty the pool.

I was as courteous and as helpful as possible so were other owners. Now it seems we are being penalised for taking sides which we didn't.

It will be interesting to see what happens this summer.

It is a quiet complex and nobody is ever out of order .
WE always respect each others property and look out for all the children. Turkish french italian an irish children.

I cannot understand why they have made a mountain out of a mole hill. Helen

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Hi Helen

you could do with some legal advice, my understanding is that 1 person can only carry 2 proxy votes and must apear in person - so your meeting may be null and void.

generally you need a 4/5ths majority to overturn any decision.

good luck

captain

Helen,

Thanks for explaining the situation. Good luck with a solution, as Yalimart says it sounds like you need a bit of legal advice.

Doug

saz007

hi there, we originally bought our villa to rent out, as 2 other couples on the sitesi had holiday lets, but the rules changed and the turkish police wanted copies of passports etc to validate who people, where. It has been voted in the AGM that no holiday rentals are allowed. I can see their point of view, but does not help with the money matters.

miela

A friend of ours owns an apartment on a large sitesi, 120 odd apartments, they recently got legal advise regarding the number of proxy votes any one can hold. Also she said they had been told that they needed 100% of the vote in agreement to change the site rules. Check with a solicitor to see this is correct though different solicitors seem to give different advise, I suppose it depends on individual circumstances.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom