ivy

Northumberland Coast
I live on the start of the heritate coast in Northumberland in a fishing village called Amble. Two miles along the road next to the estuary is Warkworth Castle surrounded by the river Coquet. Having a Hermitage: the castle keeper takes parties in the rowing boat over to look at the cave. The hermits cave was according to legend, that Sir Bertram of Bothal Castle came to spend the remainder of his life, after accidentally slaying his sweetheart, Isabel, daughter of the Lord of Widdrington. These waters, land and properties belong to the Duke of Northumberland who live in Alnwick Castle approx. 7 miles away and the Duchess of Northumberland's now renown for her garden as often seen on television because of the largest water fountain. It has opened up a lot of enterprises in the area, as the amount of visitors to the garden is promoting a lot income. It was voted the best place to live in the country as it is quite a historic town with old buildings and the cobbled area. The castle has the largest library in the country. It was a teachers training college also. It is in an excellent condition and there are little figures with bows and arrows of sculptures on top of the castle. Down by the river over the bridge has four big lions on the bridge. The poker-tailed lion is the symbol of the Percy family. Then up the coast is the village of Craster renown for the oak smoked kippers. Then a mile away is Dunstanborough Castle: more a ruin.
My favourite castle is Bamburgh, it is a delight to look at and I think quite unbelievable because of the style and location next to the sea and it is in excellent condition. In the churchyard is the tomb of Grace Darling as she went out and rescued sailors in distress. Then we have Holy Island, where if we visit we have to get across by the times of the tides. Then there is Berwick near the borders of Scotland from home is 40 miles away. Berwick is captivating with all the bridges including the 25 arches built by Robert Stephenson. There are a lot of Antique shops in the town. They have sweets called Berwick Cockles. It is also quite a nice drive up the coast. People are quite surprised by Northumberland and remarked how inspired they were when I had a guest house.

Ivy
Ivy

alain01

Northumberland Coast
That's a beaut part of the country Ivy, have passed it many times when I used to live north of the border....Alan.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom