Non touristic place close to Marmaris?
Hey folks, I'm posting this in the Marmaris forum as it must be the most relevant place.

Long story short, me and my GF are about to open a business running from Marmaris. For personal reasons, we can not be living in Marmaris, before the business goes well. So we are looking for a place close to Marmaris, which is not to touristic (if it's possible to find a place like that).

We have been living in Alanya for some time now, and we are overly tired of the constant pushing and 'yes please', 'boat tour', 'cheaper than Denmark' kind of scene. We would like to stay a place, where it's possible to walk down a main street without having to take a stance weather to talk or not to talk too every second person you see.

How is Fethiye? Or the outskirts of Fethiye? And Datca, too small? Ortaca, Dalaman, Ula? (I have no ideas of these regions, just from a map).

Hope someone with some insight can help us out!

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
Look at Icmeler - not nearly as touristy as Marmaris and only a short walk from there - and very pretty indeed.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Look at Icmeler - not nearly as touristy as Marmaris and only a short walk from there - and very pretty indeed.

I thought Icmeler was just a tourist resort?

Muğla city is worth a look and is close to your base. Residential areas of Fethiye would be OK, but a rather long trip to Marmaris if you need to go daily.

Ian

Last edited:

Rumpole

Koycegiz, is great, only on a Monday do you get foreign tourists, for the market, it's a working town / community.

TNT123

To Young to be This Old
I don,t think there is a place in Turkey like what you want.I remember going up into the mountains last year,passing through a small village one guy asked if I needed sunglasses,I replied no thanks at which he said "Very good price,Asda Price".You just cant get away from them.
Sorry your leavin Alanya though.
Trev.

@ TNT,

I know It's impossible to find a place where no one will try to sell us something, being my girlfriend is Danish.

But we don't mind tourists and the hazzle that comes with them, in Alanya it is very intense though, would be nice to find a calmer place. Like Oba fx!

@ All,

Köycegiz looks interesting. Have you guys been living there? From the description it sounds very remote. Is it possible to find bars with live music and sports in the tv? And good restaurants? It doesn't have to be booming, just a couple of places is enough.

And how about Icmeler? More people who have inputs on this town? Is it very bad with sellers and stuff?

And what about Fethiye? We wouldn't have to go to Marmaris every day, so the distance is allright, if it's a nice town to live in.

teosgirl

If the distance isn't a problem you should look at Akyaka - it's a little bit touristy, but mostly with Turks. Beautiful scenery, close to Mugla, Marmaris is about 30/40 minutes and only 3 hours to Izmir (whereas Fethiye is nearly 6) which gives you alternative transport options (Bodrum is also closer) and somewhere interesting to explore in the winter.

Good luck with your project, if you need an alternative gold source PM me. There's a Jewish man in Izmir (Kemeralti) who supplies hundreds of stores in Turkey, including Marmaris and Kusadasi.

Charlotte

kibris

wrong thread --apologıes--blonde moment

Last edited:

TCJ

Two or three years ago at a new place on the front of Akyaka they tried standing outside the restaurant and "calling" people in. All the other bar-restaurant owners were scandalized by this intrusive behaviour. The next year the place was closed. Akyaka is a small place so after a month of living there everyone will know you and know you aren't a tourist.

Akyaka looks very promising! It seems hard to find an appartment though. Any of you guys know where to look besides sahibinden?

Thanks for the tips so far!

teosgirl

You have the benefit of speaking Turkish Orhan, so maybe try googling 'Akyaka Emlak' and then call a few to enquire about rental opportunities.

Good luck,

Charlotte

TNT123

To Young to be This Old
@ TNT,

I know It's impossible to find a place where no one will try to sell us something, being my girlfriend is Danish.

But we don't mind tourists and the hazzle that comes with them, in Alanya it is very intense though, would be nice to find a calmer place. Like Oba fx!

@ All,

Köycegiz looks interesting. Have you guys been living there? From the description it sounds very remote. Is it possible to find bars with live music and sports in the tv? And good restaurants? It doesn't have to be booming, just a couple of places is enough.

And how about Icmeler? More people who have inputs on this town? Is it very bad with sellers and stuff?

And what about Fethiye? We wouldn't have to go to Marmaris every day, so the distance is allright, if it's a nice town to live in.

To be honest,do you actually know what kind of place you want??(no offence intended)
You say you want something quieter than Alanya then talk about Marmaris. You also say you wouldn't mind something like OBA.
Oba is the Blackpool of Alanya,noisier,dragging you in off the street place.
You say you want Live Music,Sports on TV and good Restaurants,we have them all,you just need to know where to look.What type of business are you opening??
Trev.

Yes I know exactly what I want. I talk about Marmaris because that's where we are planning to run our business from, not because I like Marmaris. And I've been to Alanya and Oba alot of times, don't tell me that Oba is worse than the stretch on the Atatürk boulevard towards the Cleopatra beach. Oba is way more remote.

So basicly I would like to stay in a place that is not a tourist magnet and not a köy neither.

TNT123

To Young to be This Old
Yes I know exactly what I want. I talk about Marmaris because that's where we are planning to run our business from, not because I like Marmaris. And I've been to Alanya and Oba alot of times, don't tell me that Oba is worse than the stretch on the Atatürk boulevard towards the Cleopatra beach. Oba is way more remote.

So basicly I would like to stay in a place that is not a tourist magnet and not a köy neither.

Lets agree to disagree. TID. You must know a different Oba to me,I've only been coming here 25 years.Hope you find what your looking for.
Trev.

kemerkid

________
Have a look at Uzumlu, that might suit you down to the ground and it only has one tourist, and that is only from April to September.

TNT123

To Young to be This Old
Have a look at Uzumlu, that might suit you down to the ground and it only has one tourist, and that is only from April to September.

Yeh,but does he spend any money KK.
Trev.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom