jakebeak

Non-residents getting a car
A friend has asked me to check out if they can buy a car in Turkey and leave it here (in Turkey), whilst living in the UK for a proportion of the year. Does anyone know if you need to be a resident, or is it legal to buy a car anyway?

teresa

Free Thinker
You do not need to have residency to buy a car now and as far as I am aware there is nothing wrong with what you propose. We did need a tax number for the purchase of our car but if you friends have a bank account they will have one.

Someone else may know of possible areas of concern.

Gail

You don't need to have residency but if you haven't your friend will need a tax number as Teresa has said and he/she will need to have his/her passport translated into Turkish at the Notar.

hijo

in my own clique
.. we have just bought a new car in Izmir ..and yes i was asked for my residency permit..they did,nt ask or need for my tax number as i paid cash

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
There appear to be different rules for different municipalities. In Mugla you can easily buy a vehicle without a Residence Permit but in Istanbul for instance, according to another forum, it's impossible.

gren

Is actually it cost effective with the tax/insurance/maintainance/possible theft etc.?

Is it not cheaper/easier to hire?

Have you done any calculations?

jakebeak

This is for friends of ours. We've already got a vehicle, so don't need to do any calculations.

teresa

Free Thinker
.. we have just bought a new car in Izmir ..and yes i was asked for my residency permit..they did,nt ask or need for my tax number as i paid cash

We paid cash but we still had to provide our tax number, but then again we didn't have to show residency.

I didn't realise it differed throughout Turkey.

gren

This is for friends of ours. We've already got a vehicle, so don't need to do any calculations.

OK, if YOU already have a vehicle could YOU offer any info as to if it is cheaper/easier?

jakebeak

Sorry Gren, not sure what you're asking me. You seem a bit het up. We have a van and bought it through a dealer in Ankara with the help of a Turkish friend. We live here permanently so needed a vehicle. It's great for us as we live out in the countryside and it's far easier than going everywhere on buses. Our friends come here several times a year and would like to get a car and leave it outside their house. It's expensive to have a vehicle here, but the van runs on diesel, which makes it a bit cheaper. It depends what you want. Are you looking for a car?

dalyansteve

The answer seems to be, if they are in Mugla , no they don't need residency. We as residents often think we know the solution to everything or the cheapest way, no offence intended, some people could not give a damm whether it is cost effective or not, they just want it.

CJD

well based on the fact that I have spent £1400:doh: on hiring in the past
6 months, Its time to consider buying

dalyansteve

CJD, you must be mental!!! 6 months and £ 1,400.00. If you have driven more than 10,000 km in the last 6 months , buy the cheapest diesel with klima you can afford, If it is in the region of 3 to 7 thousand km, consider the cheapest petrol car or one with an lpg conversion also with klima. Try to buy new and if converted, the warrenty must cover it. But at the end of the day, I would still buy diesel. Especialy any car with the 1.3 multijet diesel engine, Low tax and economy but still has the power to humble more expensive vehicles. It is just a different way of driving without the nice sound track.

gren

Sorry Gren, not sure what you're asking me. You seem a bit het up. We have a van and bought it through a dealer in Ankara with the help of a Turkish friend. We live here permanently so needed a vehicle. It's great for us as we live out in the countryside and it's far easier than going everywhere on buses. Our friends come here several times a year and would like to get a car and leave it outside their house. It's expensive to have a vehicle here, but the van runs on diesel, which makes it a bit cheaper. It depends what you want. Are you looking for a car?

No i'm not het up at all. I was simply asking how the economics of owning compares to renting. Sorry if it seemed challenging.
No, i'm not after a car thanks.

CJD

No i'm not het up at all. I was simply asking how the economics of owning compares to renting. Sorry if it seemed challenging.
No, i'm not after a car thanks.

You did seem a bit het up Gren, you used caps which I understand
means shouting.

Howell's

our neıghbour wants to buy a car and they ın dıdım. can anyone clarıfy ıf they need resıdency. we got our car 6 months ago and to be honest ı cant remember ıf we had to show ours.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
May i ask a question . can you still get residency if you rent your house instead of buying it ? I have a contract with the landlord . A tax number . And bank account . so do i have to buy a house befor i can buy myself a car ? I haven't yet decided were to live !

beldibi

No. You do not have to own a house to apply for a Resident Permit. The main issue is proof that you have the funds to support yourself.

Kusann

Bought car in Kusadadi and did`nt need res.visa although we did show it but more interested in passport and tax number.

You dont have to own a house rental agreement would be good.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom