No More Hassle in Side - EVER !
Hi angela..Happy New Year...its about time Side was 'sorted out' re over the top hassle.
This initiative was taken by the Belediye in Alanya a good few years ago..the same time as they withdrew permission for goods to be displayed on the street.
With security cameras installed in the main centres and Harbour... restaurants and shopkeepers who hassle are soon spotted and fined..they get closed down for a week or longer and if they persist they get closed down .
İt still goes on though especially in outlying areas of town..but its a lot less ..and certainly less than Side where the persistance ruins a day out...Side is a lovely little town ..but the touts spoil the character of the place.

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
Thanks for that info Shirley - and a Very Happy New Year 2 U 2 ! - but you know what ... I went to London's Chinatown last week and talk about HASSLE PERSONIFIED !!! Far far worse than I have ever seen in Side. They literally come out and grab you by the arm there to try and get you into their restaurants. Same thing happened to me in Egypt - I was even followed there constantly and my arm touched all the time - but truly I have never ever felt hassled in Side. Yes, the locals try and tell you about 'Best rubbish in Side' and 'What hotel you staying at?' but it's just friendly banter and if you walk by with a smile and say No Thanks - well, that's it - no problem. I actually just put the Post here for the benefit of others who do seem to complain. But for me ... no trouble at all --Of course each one of us views 'hassle' on our holidays differently.

Last edited:
thats very true Angela....and it never really bothers me either..the boys on the street who have to do the touting are just trying to earn a living in a short season.
İts all part of the local colour.
İ had more hassle in the centre of Rhodes years ago...one lunch time when i had long forks with lamb to taste thrust under my nose..this happened at every lokanta i passed..i wonder if they still do it or has the EU got round to them.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Thanks for the information, we don't seem to get the hassle of larger resorts, as yet in Yalikavak, but yes the waiters do speak and make time of day with tourists with the ultimate goal of trying to get them to enter the restaurant, that said if it's done politely then it's not a problem to my day. I did find, however that when we visited the resort of Kusadasi, we were hassled at every turn, it is quite a few years ago, so I'm not sure what it is like there now.

val2661

I visited Side with a friend who was visiting in the Summer. We had a lovely day out, but I did find the hassle from the restaurants much worse than here in Alanya. In fact my friend said it reminded him of his first visit to Marmaris 20 years ago where the hassle put people off holidaying there. We do intend to visit again this Summer and I look forward to seeing if the lessons worked!

Val

I'll believe it when I can walk down "Hassle Street" in Antique Side and not get any hassle. I find it better when I have the dog with me so they know I'm not a tourist and as the majority are frightened of dogs I usually get left alone. Little do they know that my dog would lick them to death and not bite them.

Sue

hijo

in my own clique
..thats great news ..can only be good for turkey and the tourist economy..:kiss:

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
I once walked all the way down the hill in old Side and not 1 person spoke to me !!! === Why ..There were 2 men fighting at the bottom . I went into a cafe and i swear it was 10 minutes befor anyone asked what i wanted to drink .. But i neve found Side to be a problem . Turkey wouldn't be Turkey without touts .. Its no more than on UK markets were the fruit and veg men nearly deafen me shouting about thier blinking bananas etc .............Diane

We have just returned from Eygpt and were really hasselled in some parts, much worse than in Turkey, at one point I was surrounded by men and when I tried to escape I tripped over a paving slab injuring my foot, the marketpolice and plain clothes police came quickly but I couldn't recognise any of the men. We thought my foot was broken and it nearly ruined the trip, it was during our second day there. Still in pain now 3 weeks later.
I know its their culture but if toursists weren't hasselled so much they would probably buy more.

dalyansteve

There has to be some sort of happy medium, it is part of the Turkish culture and custom for the front men to try to attract custom to their restaurant/shop and there are clever and subtle ways to attract foreigners without them thinking they are being "hassled". A Turk actually expects to be accompanied around a shop so that he can ask questions without having to find a member of staff, we however hate this until you realize the reasoning behind it.
However having someone grab your arm and try to drag you into a shop or restaurant is not on in either culture.
One of the best ways ever of attracting custom that I saw was in Kusadasi many years ago and was a smartly dressed chef standing by his rather nice looking doner and shouting quite simply "best Kebab". It worked and was very true!

Diversaint

Now, an old fart!
Please tell me that this is a joke!! If you believe that this will actually happen, you haven't learned much about Side OR Turkey. LOL

DRACEY

As I have said in other posts if Side had been my introduction to Turkey I would never have come back.

In 1996 there were signs up urging tourists to report agressive touting and sales techniques to the Belediye as this was discouraged.
We were ripped off at every turn, pestered, hassled and made to feel uncomfortable at every opportunity.On one occasion our way was blocked in the street by a very irate man who demanded to know why we were not going to his friends restaurant and a very embarrassing and threatening atmosphere was created.

I vowed then that I would never go back to Side.Fourteen years on it appears that nothing has changed but I will never know as I won't be going back.

The Rectal Aperture of Turkey, in my opinion ( next to Gumbet possibly ), don't get me started on that.

Diversaint

Now, an old fart!
You could always wear a T-Shirt with an appropriate message on the front. I have some fairly good designs in mind, which I'm hoping to make a few of this year.

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
If you wish to be 'hassle free', a smile and 'No thankou' is normally enough in tourist resorts.
If you wish to be Totally hassle free, discover places in Turkey other than the resorts. I've always found Turkish people to be most hospitable and very pleasant, it's in their culture to offer their goods for sale but they are not normally offended if you do't wish to buy.

Or, take a trip across to North Africa. Morrocco, Tangiers, Egypt etc. The traders in those countries certainly take top spot in the hassle table.

Sally-Ann

Tired but happy!
I do think a slogan bearing T-shirt would actually invite more hassle...Regardless of what it said!
I find telling hasslers that you're not a actually tourist, but in Turkish, really works as they remember you and the next time you pass normally just nod and say hello rather than hassle.
FYI....Turist degilim (sounds like toorist deelim)...I always add malasef (unfortunately) and a smile :)

Diversaint

Now, an old fart!
I've always found Turkish people to be most hospitable and very pleasant, it's in their culture to offer their goods for sale but they are not normally offended if you do't wish to buy.

I agree with regard to the shops and I have never had a problem, as most of them recognise us now but when it comes to the restaurants in Side, that is completely different. There were several cases last year of restaurant staff not simply trying to pull you in but actually abusing you when you said 'No thank you' and tourists AND residents putting in official complaints to the Tourist Information Office. The Jandarma were called in one very unpleasant incident at the harbour when a waiter at Barons Restaurant was actually walloped by his boss and fired after refusing twice to apologise to the tourist concerned. I spoke to the boss a week later and he was still very embarrassed about the incident. It is acknowledged by Turks, European residents and tourists that the restaurants are the ones that really need bringing into line, not the shops. Rose tinted spectacles are still firmly in place on some noses I fear.

P.S. The T-Shirts DO work and have not created a problem or offence yet, merely a smile and a laugh. If you can get them to laugh at themselves, the battle has been won. Perhaps you thought I meant to print something along the lines of of 'F..K off you filthy Turkish scum'. Moaning is one thing, being disgusting is quite another but I bow to your superior knowledge.

Last edited:

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Perhaps you thought I meant to print something along the lines of of 'F..K off you filthy Turkish scum'.

Sorry, you've completely lost me . Why on earth should I expect that from you? I've not come across anyone in my lifetime that would need addressing in such a manner,and I've been in many some pretty rough areas around this world of ours.

Please Diversaint, can you find a 'happy hat' in your wardrobe?

Diversaint

Now, an old fart!
Sorry My Dear, don't think you understood what I was saying. When I said I was going to print some T-Shirts, I meant with something amusing that would get the message across. I thought that was clear but obviously not. My reference F K off etc was just meant to get the message to Sally Ann that I was hardly likely to print something unpleasnt, which she obviously thought I was intending to. That's why I also said, a T-Shirt would work if it was amusing because they would also laugh. We don't get any hassle from shopkeepers at all, only smiles and hellos now and I agreed entirely with your post. There, I hope it's cleared that up for you.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom