No Flamingos in Tuzla
Disturbing article in Hurriyet Daily News about the decline of the wetlands area of Tuzla,near Bodrum,sorry can't do links............HAPPY XMAS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
No Flamingos in Tuzla
Last edited by a moderator:

jakkigers

Eccleston/Konacik
No Flamingos in Tuzla
I'm so sad to read this - we saw the flamingos on Lake Tuzla last year. We didn't know they went there but last year was our first new year in Turkey and we couldn't believe our eyes when we say them. In fact, we've often talked about seeing them this year - hope something is done so that they return.

JAK xx

ChrisBobs

No Flamingos in Tuzla
The numbers are up in the Izmir and Menderes Delta (Soke-Didim area) and none in Lake Bafa and Tuzla-both areas under more pressure than the other two- by not much....
There should be 2,000-3,000 flamingos now in Tuzla by past records.... so none at all is spooky.
Ok the weather is unseasonably warm and mild here..but what else is happening is the question, why did one flock of 50 birds fly in - and fly straight out again- voted with their feet! ( see comment at end of article)
I once asked a salesperson from a construction company building one of those lake facing( and draining) housing developments, if any of their international clients asked what environmental measures they took in construction / maintenance i.e where the stormwater went, how they sourced their water...
NOT ONE!!! she said.
So there is the answer too- who cared!???
The only flamingos left will be on the name boards!

Last edited:

Moggycat

No Flamingos in Tuzla
This is very sad news, the sight of all the Flamingos on Tuzla Lake was something you could never forget and for those who didn't have the pleasure of seeing them, sorry, you have missed an incredible sight.

ChrisBobs

No Flamingos in Tuzla
I am really surprised that more people have not commented on this thread, especially with the general outcry on pollution and general destruction of our planet.

Well said Rosewall! So am I!

Hopefully- it is too early to write the flamingos off- three folk went out yesterday to look, and a flock of 40 or so had flown in the night before, will they stay?

So don't just shrug and say that's a pity and walk away!

Tuzla needs to be monitored, so anyone- that is anyone who can pick up a pair of binoculars and is prepared to spend a couple of hours outdoors at least once a week in January for the annual mid-winter birdcount would be very very welcome!

It would also help if we knew if the big developments - Lakeside- Flmingo Park...have installed any stormwater management/fitration systems? Have they changed or increased their gardens management / fertiliser regimes?

The people who live there/ own there, really could take a little bit of interest in keeping the ecologica value of the area..
After all- in the end it might be worth it for YOUR Property value- do you want to look over an environmental treasure or an industrial sludgepit!

:36:

Last edited:

jearden

No Flamingos in Tuzla
I am alarmed by the statement that ''more than 5,000 summerhouses were also built near the Tuzla wetlands, and all their wastewater is released into the lake''. What precisely is meant by all their wastewater. Hopefully we are not talking sewage waste.
Perhaps those owners with properties in the lake area would care to comment on the systems in place to deal with their waste-water.

ChrisBobs

No Flamingos in Tuzla
A very good question jearden,
as with a lot of development - it is doubtful that infrastructure has caught up with building so there must be onsite sewage collection and removal (to where?) , as well as stormwater run-off.
Like you I hope some of the owners can answer.......

Akasya

Postless Pointer
No Flamingos in Tuzla
I would imagine most property owners would have no idea what the sewage arrangements are. I should have thought that many would have expected the Turkish Authorities to ensure all provision for such was properly managed. I would also imagine that if a prospective purchaser asked such a question as " where does the sewage go " to the vendor, the reply would have been thoroughly truthful and responsible. As are all Emlak / Developer replies to any question.

Steve.

kernowians

No Flamingos in Tuzla
We had flamingoes fly over the bay in Yesilkent when we were on the beach in the Summer. It was a lovely sight.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom