ronzeus

No Bargaining for the Germans
A new business venture for some enterprising person.Teaching Germans how to haggle. :lol:

Dippey

Prefer to be riding
"wieviel ist das?"
How much is that?

"Sie haben ein lachen !"
You are having a laugh !

"Ich kann es im gold für diesen preis kaufen"
I can buy it in gold for that price

"ich schaue dumm?"
do I look stupid?

"meine frau/eheman kostete kleiner"
my wife/husband cost less"

"Versuch verbinden wieder"
try again mate.

Dippz
(happily married to non-football fan :lol: )

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
:47:
oh, do they really think because they are buying something with a price tag on it, that that is the real price ??
They should now better.......das kann doch wohl nicht wahr sein !

eileenm

Dippy, I'm an English girl living in Germany and I'm a bit fed up with stupid German jokes. How would you react to a German translating phrases into very bad English? - not very funny! Maybe the famous German lack of humour is infectious - I seem to have caught it.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Don't mention the war!

I did, but I think I got away with it !

(Basil Fawlty)

Dippey

Prefer to be riding
ileenm said:
DippEy, I'm an English girl living in Germany and I'm a bit fed up with stupid German jokes. How would you react to a German translating phrases into very bad English? - not very funny! Its depends on how you tell it :lol:

If you have a complaint - tell Babel translation, its a direct translation of what the english say !
AltaVista Legal Counsel
Overture
First Floor, New London House
London
WC2B 5QR
United Kingdom

Maybe the famous German lack of humour is infectious - I seem to have caught it.

JA !

Dippz
(Can someone give me a reputation point please :lol: :lol:)

Last edited:
i gave you the point dippey..for entertainment value...
and never walk downwind behind a german..well not in Alanya..they're a noisy lot..not at all shy!

Lynda

In my dreams I'm dancing
Its all the cabbage they eat Shirley...................

eileenm

Most of you good people get upset when people make insensitive remarks about the Turkish - presumably because you know real Turkish people and realise how hurtful these prejudices are. Why then is it considered OK to make racist comments about the Germans? I can assure you that they are as diverse as any other nationality- and very similar to us Brits. And they do have a sense of humour.
I know you're all 'just joking' but you do have German members on the site.

i have many german friends..good friends..and can even speak a little german...i had a german boyfriend when i was young...when we had a restaurant in Alanya our best customers year in year out were german people...and thjey still keep in touch with me.
and yes they have a great sense of humour..
which is why i don't think they would take the things posted so far very seriously.
like the english they can have a laugh at themselves.

Martyn

Please can we keep on topic and remember the rules. As much as we English laugh at things like the Fawlty Towers 'German' episode, if someone finds the remark offensive then I think we should back off a little and not keep on the same vein.

Back to the topic basically saying the Germans have problems with haggling. I'm surprised at this and thought every nationality haggled. Saying that I work for an international company and you would be surprised at how things we do and expectations in the uk are not the same in some European countries. Going on from there the Germans visiting Turkey should expect to 'learn' and accept the differences of the Turks whatever they are.

Thanks for the intervention Martyn. I didn't want to comment before since I also found some of the remarks a bit insensitive. That said, let's get on with it: Having lived in Germany for about 30 years, I can say from experience that Germans do have problems with haggling. Up to a few years ago, it just was not the done thing. My husband, who is German, was always amazed when I haggled in Ireland but, nevertheless, was quite happy when it also yielded results in Germany.
But they are learning, especially when they're buying furniture, cars or something like that. And I'm sure my husband will become quite adept at it in Turkey. What is it they say "practice makes perfect".
By the way, do they haggle everywhere in Turkey or just in the market?

Spike

Pretty much everywhere Montemarran. Excepting of course supermarkets and your local bakkal and fruit and veg shops, you should be able to get some discount from most places - clothes, jewellery, furniture, fabrics, bicycles, household stuff, electronics. Although I have noticed quite a bit of resistance and even a couple of total refusals from electronic suppliers recently (CD player, juicer, etc.). Even the old faithful walking away trick didn't work! But do give it a go.

Montemaranne - you're right in what you say. I have German friends in Hamburg that I visit regularly; on my first visit in 1998 I tried to haggle as I was buying 2 of the same item - my friend was horrified!! I was told off very firmly indeed. However I recently observed her successfully haggling down the price of some furniture, much to my amusement! Am unsure whether this is through exposure to me or Turkey - she says I'm a bad influence!

Germaine

Mass Debater
eileenm said:
Most of you good people get upset when people make insensitive remarks about the Turkish - presumably because you know real Turkish people and realise how hurtful these prejudices are. Why then is it considered OK to make racist comments about the Germans? I can assure you that they are as diverse as any other nationality- and very similar to us Brits. And they do have a sense of humour.
I know you're all 'just joking' but you do have German members on the site.

Lived and worked in Germany for 6 years. There sense of humour does differ from ours but they do at least have one.
I'm quite confident that They are not a race of people though.
Theres 'making fun' of someone and theres 'being racist' I dont think that anything posted in this thread is the latter.

lighten up, dont lose your sense of humour.

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
I cannot haggle either and I'm not German (but I do live close to them :lol: )

And when it comes to a sense of humour : I don't always like the English sense of humour either, sometimes it just plainly annoys me...., but I do like fawlty Towers a lot !

Latest Posts

Top Bottom