tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
Nintendo DSLite - worth buying one? Any tips please
Apologies for this daft post - as usual I am 5 years behind the gadets & trends. I never pay much attention to techie stuff (changing too fast) but I think I need some brain training - yesterday I got mixed up between the pub and bookshop and told someone I was in Waterspoons!

So today I have been looking at Nintendo DS Lite's - I like the look of the brain training (I do care work which can be physical & rewarding but I think my brain is turning to mush). I also saw a Walking thing for £40/5 which "is more than a pedometer" (you set targets etc). I wouldn't be interested in the games side. I like the portability of it (not interested in WII, XBox or PS) and was wondering if anyone has any feedback tips.

They seem to be £95/7 at Tesco & Argos. Is this the usual price? Any good offers on elsewhere? Another idea I had it to buy one at duty free as I fly to Morocco next month so I reckon that would cost £82 minus the VAT - is that correct & under £140/150 limit on gifts before you have to declare goods (not sure if that is a EU thing). One question though - if you buy at say Dixons/Currys or HMV duty free would a 12mth guarantee be valid on the high street if it broke?

Tomorrow I may have a look in one of those Game shops - I have never been in one before (OMG I am such a pleb at times LOL).

Any advice or info gratefully received. Carol

PS can you use on the plane?

bebs

Apologies for this daft post - as usual I am 5 years behind the gadets & trends. I never pay much attention to techie stuff (changing too fast) but I think I need some brain training - yesterday I got mixed up between the pub and bookshop and told someone I was in Waterspoons!

So today I have been looking at Nintendo DS Lite's - I like the look of the brain training (I do care work which can be physical & rewarding but I think my brain is turning to mush). I also saw a Walking thing for £40/5 which "is more than a pedometer" (you set targets etc). I wouldn't be interested in the games side. I like the portability of it (not interested in WII, XBox or PS) and was wondering if anyone has any feedback tips.

They seem to be £95/7 at Tesco & Argos. Is this the usual price? Any good offers on elsewhere? Another idea I had it to buy one at duty free as I fly to Morocco next month so I reckon that would cost £82 minus the VAT - is that correct & under £140/150 limit on gifts before you have to declare goods (not sure if that is a EU thing). One question though - if you buy at say Dixons/Currys or HMV duty free would a 12mth guarantee be valid on the high street if it broke?

Tomorrow I may have a look in one of those Game shops - I have never been in one before (OMG I am such a pleb at times LOL).

Any advice or info gratefully received. Carol

Hi Carol not into gadgets either,but i love brain-training can be used on plane It was a gift last Christmas more expensive over here around 120 euro .Its great fun can be quite addictive enjoy-Bebs

val2661

Go for it Carol. A friend of mine recently bought one for his 89 year old mum (the pink one) and she loves it. She does the brain training, and other mind sharpening games on it. Look on Play.com or Amazon.co.uk as they usually have good prices. On the matter of buying from Duty Free, my boss once bought a camera and had a real problem invoking the guarantee when it became faulty.

Good luck and let us know if you get one.

Val

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
yesterday I got mixed up between the pub and bookshop and told someone I was in Waterspoons!

I am sat here after reading your post with tears in my eyes, pmsl, brilliant, it's the kind of scenario I'd def do. Good Luck, go for it.

Guz1

I was given a DS Lite last Christmas. I love it, although I'm not sure it has sharpened my brain. It is great for whiling away the time at airports or in Doctors'/Dentists waiting rooms. Have used mine on the plane but don't know whether they will be added to the list of banned items with the tightening of security after the incident on the flight from Amsterdam.

tallulah

As a light hearted way to waste a bit of time they're ok. If you want it just to sharpen your brain power, save your money and buy some puzzle books soduko, crosswords and logic puzzles. Plenty to choose from and cheap as chips. Take up chess...that's always a challenge to the old grey matter. Or learn a foreign langauge or take up a musical instrument....the list is endless.

But age is just a state of mind, and you're as young as you feel or is that as young as the man you feel....I forget.....where did I put that memory training book!!!!:confused:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom