CJD

Nikon D60
I'm seriously considering buying a Nikon D60 DSLR Does anyone
have one and what are your thoughts on this model.

v6cod

Living in Okcular
Nikon D60
Hi Carol

The D60 replaced the D40x which I have and is very similar. I find mine easy to use and it takes some really nice photos. It is lighter compared to some of the higher end DSLR's

The only downside is the focus motor is in the lens which means you have to have af-s lenses unless you are happy to manual focus (ok with macro lenses bit of a pain otherwise).

the 18-55mm lens that is supplied with the camera in the basic kit is a really good lens. I have also purchased a 55-200mm lens to complement it. Nikkon do a VR system for their lenses which stands for Vibration Reduction.

Googling "D60 review" will bring up a load of reviews on the camera.

Have fun with whatever you buy, now i'm off to Turkey to try out the Cokin ND filters I have just bought. :9:.

CJD

Nikon D60
Well seeing as it was some of your photos v6cod that pushed
me into wanting to step up, seems I'm on the right track, I
figured the VR lense was the way to go
Enjoy your holiday & Happy 'shooting' look forward to seeing the results
of the cockin nd filters (I'm of to google them now)

jcrian

Nikon D60
I have just bought a Panasonic TZ65 with a Leica 25mm wide angle lens.
10 million pixels and 12 times zoom. It has a feature where the zoom can be increased to over 21 times but you lose a bit of resolution(goes down to 7m pixels). Lots of good features when you work your way through the different menus.

Results so far, very impressive and the camera small enough to put in a pocket rather than lugging the larger DSLR camera around.

33p4zs4.jpg

Last edited:
Nikon D60
Well seeing as it was some of your photos v6cod that pushed
me into wanting to step up, seems I'm on the right track, I
figured the VR lense was the way to go
Enjoy your holiday & Happy 'shooting' look forward to seeing the results
of the cockin nd filters (I'm of to google them now)
I use Canon SLR,s but the D60 is very good,
On Canon its called IS for image stabilisation but the anti vibration is excellent particularly with low light shots.
I have taken some evening shots which would have been blurred on longish exposures if I didnt have what you call the VR facility.
V6Cod,Buzzmedia,Sharon and Eric,Jcrian etc AND ME are all amateur photographers on here.
Later on if you join Flickr the photographic website and upload some of your photos,you get opinions from others and learn from it.Some of the photographers on there are magic!!
All the best
Go for it !! Carol
Nice pic Ian
Heard good reports about that one.

juco

Nikon D60
I have the Nikon D40, the D60 being the newer upgraded version and have no complaints whatsoever. It took me a while to get my head round it with all the controls. But they are comfortable to use and not too heavy. Battery life is good between charges although I bought a spare on ebay for a few £s.

My son had the D60 but I didn`t see the need to upgrade so staying with the D40 for the time being.

Depending on what you are looking for you could get the D40 at a lot less £s than the D60.

geordie_nev

Nikon D60
I have the Nikon 70s, a very similar camera, and like it a lot. I also have the Nikon F3 and F4, so the reason I choose Nikon was largely based on the fact this I already owned a number of Nikon lens. If I didn’t I might well have choose the equivalent Cannon Eos camera instead. It’s certainly worth comparing the two.

In some respects when I comes to choosing an SLR camera it’s probably worth bearing in mind the range of lens available, their cost etc, just as much as the camera itself. I think I’ve spend at least twice as much on lens as I have on the camera body itself.

That been said I’m still very happy with my Nikon.

MGokhanYALCINER

Nikon D60
The D60 is a bit of a mixed bag…The images are excellent, especially the noise control at higher ISOs. However, it also suffers from an older and cheaper AF system and a smallish LCD screen.

jakkigers

Eccleston/Konacik
Nikon D60
I've got a D60 as my entry into the world of DSLR photography. I'm still learning everything about it but am enjoying it tremendously. I've the Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 lenses (didn't bother with the VR ones) and I've also got two Tamron lenses with a Nikon fit (18-200 and 70-300, both non-VR). I have just recently got back from our house in Gumbet and took the D60 and both Tamron lenses with me. The 18-200 got the most use and I'm really pleased with the photographs although as I've said, I've still got loads to learn and am mainly using it in P mode until I do learn more.

I didn't find a problem in carrying it round on holiday. Actually it was funny 'cos I'd spent a fortune in England buying camera bags which just didn't suit - some too heavy, some too small, some too big, some too cumbersome. Anyway, while we were in Metro in Turkey, I came across a video camera bag on offer for 8 lira - best thing I've ever bought. Just the right size to carry my D60 with the 18-200 lens, my purse, brush, lip balm, spare battery and a few other odds and sods. Just goes to show!!

Anyway back to the camera. I'm really pleased with it and would recommend you treat yourself!!

CJD

Nikon D60
Thank you for all your replies:blowkiss:, I'm still researching and enjoying
the hunt

option 1
As new conditioned Nikon D60. Just a few months old and hardly used.
The camera comes with an Nikon 18-55 VR lens and Nikon 55-200 Telephoto Zoom, both again in as new condition

Option2
Nikon D60 Digital Camera with 18-55mm VR lens kit
with AF70-300MM TAMRON LENS as new only 2weeks old

anyone with any thoughts as to which is the better option:bowl:

Last edited:

geordie_nev

Nikon D60
Theres probably not a lot in it. I presume the lens have similar f numbers.

I would say it depends on how much you are likely to use or need the extra 100ml of the 55ml – 300ml lens.

As a rule I would always choose a Nikon lens above any of the other 3rd party makes.

Reactions: CJD
Nikon D60
Hi CJD.
I strongly recommend that you go to Ken Rockwell's site. He is a bit controversial sometimes, but he knows his Nikons. Google "Ken Rockwell" +Nikon.
Good Luck

jakkigers

Eccleston/Konacik
Nikon D60
From an absolute novice's point of view (but I do have a D60 and a selection of lenses), I would go for the second option. I originally had the 18-55 and 55-200 lens but then wanted more zoom so bought the 70-300. Then got fed up of carrying so many lenses round and bought an 18-200 (for everyday piccies). If I were you, I would go for the second option 'cos with the first, you may end up wishing you just had that tad more zoom (I know I did).

Last edited by a moderator:

CJD

Nikon D60
Well I'm now the proud owner of a nikon 18-55 VR lens

Still no body though having read Ken Rockwell (thanks Dwight)
I'm wondering about getting a second hand D40 which would
mean I could afford the 18-200VR lens:juggle:

v6cod

Living in Okcular
Nikon D60
Hi Carol,

Unusual step to buy the lens first :dance: but I personally would go for a s/hand d40x body rather than a d40 if you can afford it there is probably going to be around a £50-£60 difference in the cost.

I know many people say the megapixels do not matter but with a d40 you get a 6mp sensor which will give you 3008 x 2000 pixel images, enough to produce straight from camera prints up to a little larger than 8x11" without resizing. With a D40x you get 10mp means that you get 3872 x2592 pixel images, enough to produce straight from camera prints up to almost 11x14" without resizing.

With the larger size images you can always crop down if you need to.

As an example here are two images I took recently of a short-toed eagle they were taken with the 55-200mm VR lens at full 200mm the eagle was around 500 - 600metres away.

DSC_0991.jpg

This image is as taken straight from the camera.

DSC_0991c.jpg

This image has been cropped to 11x14" from the first.

Can you see the snake being held in it's beak in the second image.

However it is all down to choice and what you can afford so good luck with whatever you choose. And I look forward to seeing all the images you are going to be taking.

CJD

Nikon D60
Exactly the type of shot that has drawn me to getting a better camera
we have eagles flying in the mountains behind us and this is all my
sony can manage

1z4iedu.jpg
[/IMG]

I had been trying to tell myself that megapixels dont matter and that
I should concentrate on lens quality but really I suppose they do ,
especially as I have a sign company with printers that can print onto
canvas, paper or vinyl 1300mm wide Doh!

Nikon D60
You are correct - megapixels are not the priority - it's the size of the sensor that's important.
My advice - buy a Canon!

Martyn

Nikon D60
Some great photos there. Yes as previously said you can take pixels off raster images(bitmaps) but you cannot add them on so for serious printing take them at the largest size possible. No matter what printer you print onto, even some of the 2400dpi ones, you will be limited by your photo size so bigger is better.

Nikon D60
Ken Rockwell's site is very comprehensive and well worth a long browse. Smart lad, he'll say things like...
"Buy the xxxxx {cheaper lens or camera} and use the money you save to take a trip to get great photo's"
See his page where he gets better results with a $25 camera than one costing hundreds.
Get out and photograph is the message.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom