Heggsy

Newbie - Thinking of Uzumlu
Hello all,

At the moment I'm stuck in the UK near to sunny Manchester. We (me and Mrs Heggsy) are coming out to Turkey in June looking to buy a property as a holiday home in the short term, with a view to living there full time in about 5 years. We have a small place in Spain (which we will be selling) and that experience has led us to think of Turkey as a better living option.

Tbh, the whole 'costa-del-cockney' lifestyle wasn't really us. Neither of us enjoy gold-clad men constantly grumbling about the poor quality of the egg & chips! :D

I've done a bit of internet research and chatted to people with more experience of Turkey, and think Uzumlu might be right for us...close enough to the coast for convenience, but far enough out to get a more private property with a bit of land.

If any of you have any advice/experience of what to do/not to do or recommendations, they'd be very gratefully received. Oh, and I'd like to buy and keep a small sports boat (approx 25 feet) as well. So if anyone can help on that score...terrific!

I look forward to chatting with you and learning all about what Turkey can offer.

Cheers

Heggsy

ChrisBobs

Welcome to the Forum, Heggsy,
Though I have never seen Uzumlu myself ( shame on me!) it sounds a good place
- there are a few people on here who should be able to help you.
Good luck and enjoy the conversations!
Chris

carolk

R.I.P
Hello Heggsy and welcome to the forum. Good luck and, hope you find exactly what you are looking for. :bounce:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Hi Heggsy, welcome to the forum. you wouldnt happen to be from burnage by any chance ?

martin

Saoirse

welcome to the forum

I have a house in Uzumlu, gorgeous village

Ask away, ask me anything at all (except where babies come from)

Heggsy

Hi Heggsy, welcome to the forum. you wouldnt happen to be from burnage by any chance ?

martin

'Fraid not, mate. originally from Glasgow, but moved down here for the better climate! :lol: Just NW, between Manchester and Bolton.

Heggsy

welcome to the forum

I have a house in Uzumlu, gorgeous village

Ask away, ask me anything at all (except where babies come from)

You'll probably regret making that offer! (yer safe on the baby-question thing, though).

I take it you use this as a holiday home just now? How long have you had it? Any advice you could give to a newbie heading out there to buy? Did you go off-plan or buy used? Can you recommend a good solicitor/builder/estate agent?

Did I mention you might regret the offer of help? :D

Saoirse

I had an appt in Fethiye, sold it, bought land and had a place built in Uzumlu

I am out for a few months each year and will eventually move out

I should point out I used the same agent buying my appt, selling my appt, buying the land and building the house

And no I am not in any way connected to them other than a very satisfied customer

Last edited:

Heggsy

I had an appt in Fethiye, sold it, bought land and had a place built in Uzumlu

I am out for a few months each year and will eventually move out

I should point out I used the same agent buying my appt, selling my appt, buying the land and building the house

And no I am not in any way connected to them other than a very satisfied customer

Sounds good.

PM sent

ted j

Hi Heggsy welcome from me too. we're in Tyldesley (nr Atherton) at the moment but hoping to move to didim asap. Ted

Saoirse

Forgot to ask you Heggsy as an ex Glasgow man, who was your fitbah team there?

Think carefully before you answer if you want anymore help lol!

dotsie

dotsie
Hi. best advice i can give is take your time, rent for a year, put dosh in the bank and and find the nest you want at your leisure. Also during that year you will be more aware of the in and outs of property tranactions etc with the help of some very good people here on the forum. Best of luck to you and yours from a paddy who hasn't looked back : )

Heggsy

Hi Heggsy welcome from me too. we're in Tyldesley (nr Atherton) at the moment but hoping to move to didim asap. Ted

Just up the road from you, Ted. Westhoughton. Can't wait to get moved full time!

Heggsy

Forgot to ask you Heggsy as an ex Glasgow man, who was your fitbah team there?

Think carefully before you answer if you want anymore help lol!

Oh well, in at the deep end...Celtic!

* awaits abuse and curtailment of advice offer* :D

Saoirse

got it in one!

Happy to help fellow Bhoy here!

Though you will also have to support our wee local team Uzumluspor. They have had a new pitch and *stadium" in recent times and are passionate about their wee club

Last edited:

Heggsy

Hi. best advice i can give is take your time, rent for a year, put dosh in the bank and and find the nest you want at your leisure. Also during that year you will be more aware of the in and outs of property tranactions etc with the help of some very good people here on the forum. Best of luck to you and yours from a paddy who hasn't looked back : )

Thanks mate, That's good advice.

I think (and we may live to regret this!) we'll probs buy sooner rather than later. We will, of course, check out the area and seek loads of advice to avoid getting stung. Me and Mrs H are both pretty compulsive and usually know and agree on what we want. Plus, we'd like to buy early(ish) before the property market starts rocketing again.

When we've made a pig's ear of it...feel free to say "I told you so!" :D

Heggsy

got it in one!

Happy to help fellow Bhoy here!

Though you will also have to support our wee local team Uzumluspor. They have had a new pitch and *stadium" in recent times and are passionate about their wee club

Dae they play in the hoops? :D

Hail Hail

L

Saoirse

no unfortunately but at least its green!

They do also resemble the Celts this season in that they are crap!

I am good friends with some of them and due to a terrible translation of my poor Turkish on the day of the opening of their new club office I was pictured with them for some press photos and mistaken as having more connection with Celtic than just a fan!

Last edited:

Heggsy

no unfortunately but at least its green!

They do also resemble the Celts this season in that they are crap!

I am good friends with some of them and due to a terrible translation of my poor Turkish on the day of the opening of their new club office I was pictured with them for some press photos and mistaken as having more connection with Celtic than just a fan!

:77wu:

Mebbe ye huv an uncanny resemblance tae Demot Desmond anaw!

Saoirse

LOL!

I was discussing with them that Celtic needed an Abramovic type backer along with a good tactician as do Uzumluspor and some beers later it transformed into a "rich" Irish backer!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom