Mushtaq

Founding Member
New Visa rules for Independent travellers to Egypt from 15th May 2015
Just when Egypt needs more tourists they make it harder for visitors who now need to purchase a visa from a local consulate by post or in person.

I thought Turkish constantly changing policies for foreign visitors and long term residents was bad, Egypt used to be pretty relaxed but looks like they are tightening up too and make it harder to visit on a short notice.

Apparently it's due to security as they want to have time to check for any undesirables before issueing visas, but as travellers going with tour operators don't need to apply for a visa, I guess the dodgy people can just book a holiday with the likes of Thompson?

I wonder who thinks up these policies?

Egypt tightens visa policy for independent travellers - Daily Sabah

Last edited:

evo80

Can't say I ever fancied going there . Sand & flies comes to mind ,not forgetting camel Dung LOL.

oldfogy

Just passing through
I suppose if they can do a on-line application as with the turkish e-visa then it won't be too bad.

When I went to Sherm El Sheikh last year I didn't need a visa, although it was suggested buying one on arrival just in case you wanted to leave the Sherm El Sheikh resort.

So I wonder if they will also be doing away with that clause also and it's to be visa's for everyone regardless.

Can't say I ever fancied going there . Sand & flies comes to mind ,not forgetting camel Dung LOL.
So yet another recommendation from someone who has never been there, brilliant.

Check the first link below for information on what is required and then check item #4 for a link to download the visa application form.
(send link below)

Consulate General of the Arab Republic of Egypt in UK - EgyptianConsulate.co.uk

http://www.egyptianconsulate.co.uk/forms/visa.pdf
I tried using the attachment facility but the 2 page form is just a bit to big for what is allowed.

Fees at bottom of page.
http://www.egyptianconsulate.co.uk/Fees.php

For UK citizens.
Single trip = £20 (I am assuming this is for just a one-off visit)

Multiple trip = £32 (which is what most people will want if returning within the 180 day period)

Obviously this information may well change, so we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

BEZ

I went to Sharm for a month this winter weather was great we stayed 5* All inclusive for less than £800 each you had to buy a visa £18 if your stay was more than 15 days or if you wanted to travel outside the Sinai region, will be going back next year as it's cheaper than staying in the Uk and a damn sight cheaper !

oldfogy

Just passing through
I paid $15 for my visa last year (Jan), but TBH I didn't take much notice as I was too busy being annoyed at the rep who was insisting I bought one when I knew I had no intention of leaving the Sharm resort (it's huge not just some tiny resort) and visa's were not required if not leaving the area, although they could have been purchased later if it was needed for any of the desert trips but prolongs things.

Last edited:

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Jackie and self should have gone to Sharm for Christmas. Medical cancellation , fingers crossed for refund.

Second time we never made it to Egypt.

Steve.

delal

Apparently it's a hoax. Egypt is an amazing country, been several times and off again soon.

oldfogy

Just passing through
Last edited:
For the last 4 years I have spent the 3 winter months in Egypt, buying a visa on entry and extending it after a month at the passport office in Luxor. If I have to apply to Ankara for a visa, and send my passport, what are the chances of getting it back in less than 2 months? I really hope this IS a hoax, if not I'll be looking for a different destination for next winter; the Turkish RP bureaucracy is not good, but it's fabulous compared to the Egyptian version!!!

We are travelling to Sharm independently next month, just staying for two weeks, and wont be going too far afield this time, so now need to read the links to see if we will be affected. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Mushtaq. Sue xx

delal

oldfogy

Just passing through
I was going to try booking something but it's going to have to wait until I get back from Turkey end of May as I don't want to risk sending of my passport and it not arriving back in time for mid may.

But lets just hope they also introduce a e-visa system which should make life a lot easier all round, and if it works for Turkey then why not Egypt.

I was going to try booking something but it's going to have to wait until I get back from Turkey end of May as I don't want to risk sending of my passport and it not arriving back in time for mid may.

But lets just hope they also introduce a e-visa system which should make life a lot easier all round, and if it works for Turkey then why not Egypt.

Having spent a considerable time in Egypt, in Luxor, I have grave doubts that an evisa system like Turkey's would work. The Egyptian Internet is one of the worst in the world - it has me tearing my hair out! - and from what I have observed bureaucracy is still overwhelmingly paper-based.

I hope I'm wrong! :noidea:

Top Bottom