Cherian

Cherry
New to Turgutreis
First time in Turgutries in May. How does it compare with the likes of Kalkan and Dalyan? Went to Dalyan for the first time last year and absolutely loved it, we are returning for 3 weeks in September. Have booked a week with Thomson beginning of May - extremely cheap from East Midlands. Never been to Turkey in early May - hope it will be reasonably warm?

dalyansteve

New to Turgutreis
You will find it completely different from Dalyan. But a good place to explore the Bodrum peninsula from, you will find many nice places to visit and some parts are quite posh in an allmost French Riviera sort of way, much much busier than Dalyan.

Cherian

Cherry
New to Turgutreis
Thanks Steve - we are surprised to hear it is busier than Dalyan. However, like what you say. Do you know about weather in May?

dalyansteve

New to Turgutreis
Hot and sunny. Although it is still possible to have a thunderstorm or two. Generally very pleasant as it cools down at night and it should not be humid.
There should be plenty of Turgutreis residents on here to tell you the best places to go etc. have a very pleasant holiday and yes I like the Bodrum area even though it is way different from Dalyan.

New to Turgutreis
Hi Cherry

I live in Turgutreis all year round - right now it's cloudless and sunny and peaceful, though we could turn to storms later, who knows? As I remember, May is great - weather will be excellent, population will not yet have doubled, everywhere will be open and shopkeepers not so desperate yet as to try to sell you their mothers. TR is very laid back except some parts of town in Summer, anything you want to know give me a shout.

Neil

Cherian

Cherry
New to Turgutreis
Thanks Neil. Restaurants - have found Anemon, Cool Breeze and The Alabi on the web but not sure whethere these are current reviews. Can you suggest any yourself?
Cherry

Gail

New to Turgutreis
Hi Cherry

There are lots of restaurants to choose from, the ones on the front are a little bit more expensive than others but you are overlooking the beach and sea. Lots of cheap Turkish restaurants to choose from and there is always the marina which is very reasonably priced for meals but the drinks are more expensive than town. Weather should be lovely for you in May.

perfect1949

i just love my clique
New to Turgutreis
hi cherry , i agree with gail also they have every saturday the market , and you can go to marcos pub facing the market were efes is still only 3 tl . and next door you can get a doner for 2 tl great value

New to Turgutreis
Weather is lovely early May but the pools and sea hasn't warmed up yet. Lots of good eating places but as some have closed down for the winter we will have to see which actually do reopen in May. I always go out end April beg May to organise our pool and get the garden sorted ready for the new season. I think you can enjoy any place new if it is not too busy as get around better and actually see the place. Bodrum castle would be lovely to visit then and also Mindos Gate on the way into Bodrum.You can have a nice stroll up to our lovely park. I'm sure you will have a great time and who knows you may even meet some of us from TLF

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
New to Turgutreis
Hi Cherian and welcome to the forum. You have picked a lovely month to visit, we always enjoy our stay in May, and we'll be there this May too. We are in the Yalikavak/Gumusluk area, we love to go to Turgutreis for a walk around the harbour, plenty of shops, great Market too on a Saturday. The area is stunning, very chic. Lovely to sit and people watch and the harbourside in Yalikvak too. There are many restaurants to choose from too.

SAMIMI

New to Turgutreis
Hi Cherian,
As the other members have said, May is a lovely month for your holiday. You will feel the heat when you step off the plane! You can get some clouds in May but not many. It is possible to swim in the sea in May. it will be cool at first but very refreshing after about 3 minutes. There are lovely beaches over beyond the marina and further beyond the Sabinci Park where a lot of the turkish tourists go.
If you buy a snorkel, you can see beautiful little yellow/blue fish in the sea as they swim alongside you. I was afraid of them at first and got out of the water, pointing and saying "balik" which means fish, I knew I was safe when the young children said to me "Taman! problem yok! (OK no problem).
Bring a cardigan for the evenings. the nights are cool but you will not need heating.
There are plenty of restaurants to choose from. I use as a rule, anywhere I go, eat in the restaurants where the locals eat. Any restaurant where there were lots of Turkish people eating, we have never been disappointed

kath_52

New to Turgutreis
Thanks Neil. Restaurants - have found Anemon, Cool Breeze and The Alabi on the web but not sure whethere these are current reviews. Can you suggest any yourself?
Cherry
I agree with your choice of Cool Breeze. The staff are so friendly there and the food is to die for. I can recommend Pina Colada cocktails made by Zidane. Ask for Sam the manager and and tell him kathy sent you.

kath_52

New to Turgutreis
Hi Cherian,
As the other members have said, May is a lovely month for your holiday. You will feel the heat when you step off the plane! You can get some clouds in May but not many. It is possible to swim in the sea in May. it will be cool at first but very refreshing after about 3 minutes. There are lovely beaches over beyond the marina and further beyond the Sabinci Park where a lot of the turkish tourists go.
If you buy a snorkel, you can see beautiful little yellow/blue fish in the sea as they swim alongside you. I was afraid of them at first and got out of the water, pointing and saying "balik" which means fish, I knew I was safe when the young children said to me "Taman! problem yok! (OK no problem).
Bring a cardigan for the evenings. the nights are cool but you will not need heating.
There are plenty of restaurants to choose from. I use as a rule, anywhere I go, eat in the restaurants where the locals eat. Any restaurant where there were lots of Turkish people eating, we have never been disappointed
Cool breeze is by far the best restaurant!

Reactions: Mag

kath_52

New to Turgutreis
Hi Cherian and welcome to the forum. You have picked a lovely month to visit, we always enjoy our stay in May, and we'll be there this May too. We are in the Yalikavak/Gumusluk area, we love to go to Turgutreis for a walk around the harbour, plenty of shops, great Market too on a Saturday. The area is stunning, very chic. Lovely to sit and people watch and the harbourside in Yalikvak too. There are many restaurants to choose from too.
Thanks Sunny seasider - we are also going in May. We were there last October and stayed in Arkyarlar but took the Dulmus every day to Turgutreis. This time we will be staying at the Aydem Hotel. Can anyone tell us if this is a nice place to stay? We usually have our lunch and dinner at Cool Breeze but look forward to trying something different. Any recommendations?

New to Turgutreis
Try Friends restaurant and also Nazar's. A lot of trhe restaurants from last year have closed down so I will have to try some of the new ones.

DtB

New to Turgutreis
And the Gospel according to the Manager of what used to be "Ikbal's" and is now some sort of Turkish/Chinese affair, is that "Alabi's" has had to close down due to "lack of money" (his words, not mine). Be interesting to see what happens in the Summer...............

gordie

gordie
New to Turgutreis
No reflection on the Staff/Management at Marco's, just due to general tax increases, but as of to-day, Efes now 3.5Tl and the Doner (next door), now 2.5TL. But still great value for money !
Gordie

DtB

New to Turgutreis
No reflection on the Staff/Management at Marco's, just due to general tax increases, but as of to-day, Efes now 3.5Tl and the Doner (next door), now 2.5TL. But still great value for money !
Gordie

WOTAHARDSHIP.....................................................................:lol::lol:

sheecat

New to Turgutreis
Gordie

Hi guys,
I'm going to Turgutreis for 5 weeks Aug-Sept, I usually go twice a year and have not seen Marco's bar, can you tell me where about it is?
I too love the food at Nazars and the prices are good too.

Sheena

Latest Posts

Top Bottom