fday00

new to Istanbul/forum
Hi,
I am moving to Istanbul (Astrum towers) for 6months.
I can understand Turkish better than I can speak. The apartment is unfurnished and I have to furnish it.
I am going there at the end of Aug.
could you please let me know of name of electrical appliances stores where I can buy kitchen appliances and sofa shops?

I have also heard it is better to buy Lira while I am there. is this true?

Thanks
freesia

Tess

new to Istanbul/forum
Hi Freesia, and a warm welcome to the Forum, I hope you enjoy and I hope you enjoy Istanbul for 6months I have never been but it is on my 'To Do' List, I am sorry I can offer you no assistance with your questions but I know someone will be along soon who will be able to point you in the right direction, speak soon and I look forward to reading your thoughts on moving and living in Istanbul.

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
new to Istanbul/forum
Hi Freesia and welcome,

Which side of Istanbul but are you going to be living?..my partner is also from Istanbul (Suadiye on the Asian side) but we are both in Antalya now..i can ask him for some places that are close for you..

In the meantime have a look at Yatas online as we have just bought sofas from there as well as Arcelik (sorry i don't have a Turkish keyboard) , Beko, Vestel and Bosch for your kitchen hobs/ovens/and hoods. Vestel and Arcelik do good deals for all 3 and usually throw in a free microwave or discounted washing machines/diswasher (depending on the offer of the month so to speak).

Kotcas online is also worth a look as they sell kitchen appliances.

For smaller kitchen items just shop around and don't forget the hypermarkets that sell white goods.

fday00

new to Istanbul/forum
Thanks Tess ad Sasa
I am going to West part of Istanbul, near Esenyurt. I've heard there is a carrfour near there. I am after kitchen appliances, sofa, dining table, bed and wardrobe.

I was planning to pay someone to furnish the apartment but they may not be able to do so as they are busy.

how long doesn't it for stores to do deliver goods?
I live in the UK, when you order a sofa, sometime it can take up to 6 weeks for delivery. is it the same in Istanbul?

I am not sure about prices of items listed above as none, is is cheaper or more expensive than UK?

Thanks a million for your warm welcome and help

Tess

new to Istanbul/forum
Hi Freesia, I'm not sure about shopping in Istanbul, because I imagine it is very big and very busy, but if it helps when I was furniture shopping in Altinkum for everything including all the appliances, furniture and all the little bits and bobs for the kitchen, nothing was any problem, delivery could have been the same day if required. The cost I found to be much cheaper for some things compared to the UK, some very similar, and some more expensive. What I would say to you is, stick rigidly to a budget, I did, I was adamant to get everything I needed right down to the last tea spoon for my budget, I think when you do this it inspires you to "get the best deal" in effect be a negotiator/haggler on price. If the shop owner knows you have the money to buy he nearly always meets you price wise or you can come to some compromise. If you feel he is not trying to compromise Walk Away!!!! there will be plenty more shops with the same. Please try to make it a fun experience - I did - I have to tell you I had a ball, one of the best weeks I ever spent, my sister was with me and she had to go out of the shop at times, sometimes because it was funny and sometimes because she was embarrassed with my negotiating. I never had angry words with anyone, simply because I kept relaxed and happy and because I knew if I didn't get it in one shop, I would get it in another. At the minute with the credit crunch I would imagine you could find yourself some real good bargains. Good luck and best wishes in your search, and have to say wish I was going with you LOL!!!!!! Oh almost forgot, don't be scared to ask for pressies!!!! eg if you buy a cooker ask for your kettle or toaster or both as a pressie!!! you might not get it but just imagine if you don't ask you will never know!!! Take care.

Last edited:

Cigdem

new to Istanbul/forum
Hi Freesea,

Welcome to forum. I lived in Bahcesehir last winter which is close to Astrum Towers. I prefered to shop from IKEA as you can find most of the things for home there in a reasonable prices. Of course you can find really cheap staff in Istanbul but you need to know Istanbul very well. Enjoy your time in Istanbul.

Tess

new to Istanbul/forum
Ikea, sounds the ticket Freesia, and no haggle needed as everything will be priced and everyone pays the same, and you would have the luxury of shopping all under the same roof!!! Quick easy and hassle free!!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom